Star Wars Rogue One: Now With Less Rouge

Myrddin

With the resources that Disney has, and the the 747s full of cash that these movies are bringing in, they should be able to find scripts to support a good movie per year. A million monkeys on a million typewriters and all that. Very excited about Donald Glover as Lando.

Add my name to the chorus who loves Donald Glover as Lando

I am anxious to see who the get to play Jabba the Hutt #ChrisChistieWillBeAvailableSoon

Also... I am sure they'll find a way to shoehorn in Gredo & Boba Fett....

.... This movie might be a shit ton of fun if they do it right.... But to be honest, the chances are that they'll stuff as many hackneyed clichés and joke retreads into the script as they can so the foreign audiences will like it.... because they know we're all going to pay to see it.

1 minute ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

if they don't speak 'murican den day dum an cant unstan sutlty

Well, not precisely.

One of the reasons that TFA didn't do well internationally was that it had a lot of callbacks to the SW mythos that foreign audiences don't care about nearly as much. Whereas things like Transformers and Warcraft? Do SUPER WELL internationally, and having the backstory and mythos doesn't matter as much. 

1 minute ago, Kalbear said:

Well, not precisely.

One of the reasons that TFA didn't do well internationally was that it had a lot of callbacks to the SW mythos that foreign audiences don't care about nearly as much. Whereas things like Transformers and Warcraft? Do SUPER WELL internationally, and having the backstory and mythos doesn't matter as much. 

I was agreeing with you. I guess I went too deep into character.

If Asian audiences aren't familiar with Star Wars then Disney missed an opportunity to re-release episodes 4, 5 and 6 to them in theatres in the years leading up to TFA.

Also, if people are more excited for Lando than Han, maybe it should be a Lando trilogy not a Han trilogy.

1 hour ago, SpaceChampion said:

If Asian audiences aren't familiar with Star Wars then Disney missed an opportunity to re-release episodes 4, 5 and 6 to them in theatres in the years leading up to TFA.

Disney did release the OT in China for the first time last year, to be fair, but it was never going to be easy work to make up the decades of pop-cultural obsession the Western world has had with it.

One strongly suspects that hitting that market has a lot to do with why Donnie Yen and Jian Weng are in Rogue One.

1 hour ago, SpaceChampion said:

Also, if people are more excited for Lando than Han, maybe it should be a Lando trilogy not a Han trilogy.

I'd watch the shit out of that.

14 hours ago, polishgenius said:

...what?

Yeah.... as I re-read my post I see that I was ambiguous... what I meant is that foreign audiences don't understand American sarcasm, or subtley.... and they are more prone to positively respond to a catch phrase, or hack line,,,, This is the ship that did e Kessel run in 14 parsecs!"....  "Chewey, we're home.".... or that WoooooHooooo! from the X-wing cockpit.... Hell.... the entire last movie was a retread from the first  movie...

Hollywood understands that American audiences will keep turning out for successful franchises.... and they take foreign audiences into account when they make these sequels/reboots.... much of what they do is actually *for* a foreign audience.... World of Warcraft comes to mind.... it bombed here, and did great overseas....

8 minutes ago, Martini Sigil said:

Yeah.... as I re-read my post I see that I was ambiguous... what I meant is that foreign audiences don't understand American sarcasm, or subtley.... and they are more prone to positively respond to a catch phrase, or hack line,,,, This is the ship that did e Kessel run in 14 parsecs!"....  "Chewey, we're home.".... or that WoooooHooooo! from the X-wing cockpit.... Hell.... the entire last movie was a retread from the first  movie...

Hollywood understands that American audiences will keep turning out for successful franchises.... and they take foreign audiences into account when they make these sequels/reboots.... much of what they do is actually *for* a foreign audience.... World of Warcraft comes to mind.... it bombed here, and did great overseas....

World of Warcraft, Transformers, and films like that do well not so much because they're recognizable or have or have catch phrases, but because they're really quite simple stories and there's nothing to get lost in translation. Good giant robot fights bad giant robot is the same in any language. 

The similarities between ANH and TFA weren't there to appeal to foreign audiences. 

14 minutes ago, Martini Sigil said:

what I meant is that foreign audiences don't understand American sarcasm, or subtley....

Speaking as a British person America is hardly an expert at either sarcasm or subtlety.

Speaking as a Polish person living in Germany, trust me, when non-English-speakers don't take to a Hollywood blockbuster as much as they were expected to, 'oh boy this is too subtle for me' is not the thing going through their minds.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived