Star Wars Rogue One: Now With Less Rouge

Myrddin

50 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

But would happen if a dictatorial regime took over the U.S., killed all the Navy SEALS, re-organized the military for its own purposes, took complete control over the media, and unleashed a tireless propaganda about the glory of the regime, and decadence of the old days. How many would still believe in the SEALS 20 years later?

People might not talk about it much, but anyone over 20 years old (well, let's say 35 years old, kids might not pay attention) would still remember that that was a thing that used to exist. And I think most people, if they encountered a grizzled old guy who claimed to be former Navy SEAL, would have the reaction of "Whoa, how the hell did you survive all this time?" or possible "Nah, you're lying." What they wouldn't have is the reaction of "Navy SEALs never existed!"

5 hours ago, ab aeterno said:

I think the point is the former - that people never really believed in the Jedi, other than those who came into contact with them frequently.

That works slightly better as a retcon, but at the same time is clearly a retcon.

@Lord Sidious while we've got you here, I've been bothered by something recently and wondered if you could clear it up for me. Please imagine how the lines below were actually said, rather than the dry delivery of the script:

EMPEROR
Yes...I assure you we are quite safe from your friends here.
Vader looks at Luke.
LUKE
Your overconfidence is your weakness.
EMPEROR
Your faith in your friends is yours.           <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
VADER
It is pointless to resist, my son.
The Emperor turns to face Luke.
EMPEROR	 (angry)
Everything that has transpired has done so according to my design. 

How did a prestigious Sith Lord such as yourself, one who has come so far and defeated the entire Jedi order of the Republic days, allow a jumped up kid from the back end of nowhere to get under your skin like this? Although he didn't let it show, the line I've indicated is the point you lost Lord Vader. Prior to this point you had projected nothing but confidence, no reason for your apprentice to falter, but after this? You've granted a certain respect to Luke by snapping at him. Then he beats Lord Vader, and suddenly you're rushing the process of converting him - another sign of weakness. You should know any good forced conversion takes more time than you were expending on Luke!

What went wrong?

3 hours ago, karaddin said:

@Lord Sidious while we've got you here, I've been bothered by something recently and wondered if you could clear it up for me. Please imagine how the lines below were actually said, rather than the dry delivery of the script:

How did a prestigious Sith Lord such as yourself, one who has come so far and defeated the entire Jedi order of the Republic days, allow a jumped up kid from the back end of nowhere to get under your skin like this? Although he didn't let it show, the line I've indicated is the point you lost Lord Vader. Prior to this point you had projected nothing but confidence, no reason for your apprentice to falter, but after this? You've granted a certain respect to Luke by snapping at him. Then he beats Lord Vader, and suddenly you're rushing the process of converting him - another sign of weakness. You should know any good forced conversion takes more time than you were expending on Luke!

What went wrong?

From my own point of view, I didn't much care for Luke's conversion, however Vader was a hobbled shell of his former self and you have to work with what you've got, I'd have liked to have carried on with the force lightning until he was quite dead, unfortunately Lucas had other plans and I never mastered learning to fly :( .

At work we fill out our next years vacation calendar a year in advance, last week I did mine for 2017. So imagine my delight when I see this is coming out next weekend, when a year ago I put in for the 15th and 16th off! Happy luck that I always take a long weekend near Christmas to wrap up any purchases or what not. Now I can go in the morning on the 15th without having to face too much of a crowd. The cinema I go to has 20 theatres so should be plenty to choose from. And BTW, I can't stand the 3d ones.

5 hours ago, dbunting said:

At work we fill out our next years vacation calendar a year in advance, last week I did mine for 2017. So imagine my delight when I see this is coming out next weekend, when a year ago I put in for the 15th and 16th off! Happy luck that I always take a long weekend near Christmas to wrap up any purchases or what not. Now I can go in the morning on the 15th without having to face too much of a crowd. The cinema I go to has 20 theatres so should be plenty to choose from. And BTW, I can't stand the 3d ones.

In my experience there's so such thing as luck.

25 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

look going against abstract calendars is one thing, going against the living bosses is another

Yep, my boss always takes the last two weeks of the year off so my only choice is the weekend before and as luck/fate/the power of the force would have it, The Force Awakens and now Rogue One both have been released on that weekend.

24 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Yep, my boss always takes the last two weeks of the year off so my only choice is the weekend before and as luck/fate/the power of the force would have it, The Force Awakens and now Rogue One both have been released on that weekend.

The Force is strong in this one...

35 minutes ago, dbunting said:

The answer is to not worry about the boss but BE the boss.

22 minutes ago, Lord Sidious said:

The answer is to not worry about the boss but BE the boss.

I find your lack of continuation of the quote meme disturbing....

4 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

I find your lack of continuation of the quote meme disturbing....

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if a chain of posts suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly broken. I fear something terrible has happened

15 minutes ago, ab aeterno said:

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if a chain of posts suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly broken. I fear something terrible has happened

Coming up on a new quote meme

12 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Clearly you've never read Ninefox Gambit by Yoon Ha Lee. The calendars in that book are terrifying.

What the...

23 hours ago, Fez said:

All it takes is one leaked video recording going viral though and the evidence is out there for everyone. 

Beyond that, we know about tiny secretive organizations of people who can do incredible things already, for instance the Navy SEALS. Most of us never meet them, and we don't usually see direct evidence of what they can do, but I think everyone believes they exist and understands at least the basics of what they are capable of. In fact, its probably likely that more people overestimate their abilities rather than underestimate them.

Video (or holo in this case I guess) would prove jack shit. I mean we got video of Jedi too.

SEALs do shit that's physically possible as well. Claim that Navy SEALs can mess with people minds and jump 50 feet in the air and I'm not going to believe that shit either. Doesn't matter if a group that calls itself Navy SEALs exists.

Archived