Star Wars Rogue One: Now With Less Rouge

Myrddin

At last we shall reveal ourselves to the audience. At last we shall have revenge.

ETA: Some more reactions - http://www.cinemablend.com/news/1598700/

First reactions looking good. 

Deep breaths. :lol: 

Also from the premiere - http://screenrant.com/star-wars-future-movies-bob-iger/

"We’ve made Star Wars VIII, shot Star Wars VIII. The title will be announced at some point. That comes out in 2017. And then we have another standalone film, which is the origin story of Han Solo, that will come out in 2018. 2019 will be Star Wars IX, with director Colin Trevorrow. That’s being written. We have another standalone Star Wars story that’s in development, and we don’t have any other specifics to share with the world right now, but I can guarantee there will be more Star Wars films."

Over on the youtube Star Wars show they showed a clip where Gareth Edwards and the FX team received a call saying that George Lucas was very happy with the film.

5 hours ago, ab aeterno said:

I honestly was expecting this to be about the boycotters again. :P

7 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Look... its the Jar Jar Binks of the Star Wars universe!

I invited a friend to come with me Thursday night who is only a marginal fan. Then the next 10 minutes hilarity ensued as I explained to him where in the timeline this movie fits. I told him to go watch the title crawl of the original since the first paragraph of that is basically the plot of this one.

Obviously I want this film to be great, but if it's just meh I won't really mind because it's not really "important". Episode VIII is a much bigger deal so my expectations will be much higher next year.

I'm going to I have to wait at least 2 weeks from now. :(

ETA:

No spoilers within. He's harsher on it than the other two reviews I've seen.

4 hours ago, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

Obviously I want this film to be great, but if it's just meh I won't really mind because it's not really "important". Episode VIII is a much bigger deal so my expectations will be much higher next year.

ETA:

His comments match my earlier fears which is solely down to the Director and Godzilla. It sounds like the same mistakes have been made

not enough of the thing people want to see the most of eg Vader

and characters you simply don't bother investing in. A shame as his first movie "monsters" had characters I gave a damn about and used the lack of "monsters" effectively.

Still, it sounds like I'll get to see a good action film and from the trailers he seems on the money regarding the SFX

5 hours ago, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

ETA:

Bear in mind this is YouTube, so a contrarian review is going to attract more attention. And also in my experience YouTube reviews tend to be negative in general. This doesn't sound too bad to me though.

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

Was it ever confirmed that there is no title crawl?

Yep, no crawl.

44 minutes ago, red snow said:

His comments match my earlier fears which is solely down to the Director and Godzilla. It sounds like the same mistakes have been made

Hide contents

not enough of the thing people want to see the most of eg Vader

and characters you simply don't bother investing in. A shame as his first movie "monsters" had characters I gave a damn about and used the lack of "monsters" effectively.

Still, it sounds like I'll get to see a good action film and from the trailers he seems on the money regarding the SFX

Not having too much Vader is entirely the point - You want Vader's spectre to be there, more than Vader himself.

As for characters you don't bother investing in, almost every review I've seen has praised at least the main few characters and I've seen a lot of positive writing about the interactions and tender moments too. so I wouldn't worry too much. Personally, I'm quite looking forward to seeing more minor characters, and fewer of the same big players.

13 minutes ago, ab aeterno said:

Bear in mind this is YouTube, so a contrarian review is going to attract more attention. And also in my experience YouTube reviews tend to be negative in general.

Nah, Stuckmann isn't on that. He's a solid reviewer. Time will tell if he's right...

Not having too much Vader is entirely the point - You want Vader's spectre to be there, more than Vader himself.

I agree that less is more on principle, but given the amount of time the reviewer says Vader is in the movie for, it seems like a waste, especially since this is probably the last movie we'll get to see Vader in. :( 

That said, I've heard nothing but great things about the scenes Vader is in, so it seems to make up for his "Nooooooooooooooooooooooo" moment in Revenge of the Sith. 

6 hours ago, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

ETA:

I think this guy's review will probably have a lot of similarities with mine after I've seen it this weekend.

Of course, he seems negatively surprised by the fact that Vader has such a minute presence in this film but I was expecting something along these lines ever since I read the Kathleen Kennedy interview earlier this year, when we discussed here, how small his role would be. It seems it might possibly be even less than I thought, and I'll find that extremely unfortunate, so I hope the rest of the film will please. It's fair to say that if this guy is right in saying how much time Vader is in this film, for me it will be a massive missed opportunity, but one that I've seen coming.

I fully expected Vader to have a minimal presence. I was re-watching the original this weekend, and I realized one thing I would like the movie to answer is how Leia's ship got all the way to Tatooine. So unless the planet where the plans are stolen from is in a nearby system, Vader would have to move at ludicrous speed from one planet to the other, so that makes me think we won't have a role in the final battle. I would also like to know how did Leia know about Obi-Wan. Since Bail Organa will be in the movie, maybe he will transmit something to Leia about contacting Obi-Wan. Or we will learn (maybe not in this movie) that Obi-Wan was more involved in the Rebellion that the old movies suggested.

Archived