Fun with Fancasts.

Lady Blizzardborn

1 hour ago, Annara Snow said:

I find that to be the case when show characters really look like their book counterparts, like Varys or Jaime or Jaqen. But I find it very easy to disassociate book characters from show actors when they look nothing like the book characters, like Ramsay or Tyrion or Jorah or Renly. It's especially easy when characterizations are completely different as well. For instance, I've always found it easy to separate show and book Renly, because they were completely different characters from the start, even in terms of looks and persona. It always makes me laugh that the YT highschool parody of ASOIAF/GoT, School of Thrones, had a more faithful adaptation of Renly than GoT. :D

I remember reading the book description of Renly (tall and dark haired and "the handsomest man she (Sansa) had ever seen") and being really curious who the show had cast (I read AGOT before seeing the show, but season 1 had already been broadcast), so I googled it and went: "oh. Really?" No offense to Gethin Anthony, but he's no book!Renly.

Who would you cast as Renly? There's probably quite a few movie and TV stars who fit the bill. Henry Cavill is also often fancast as Renly. I love Laurie L's Old Hollywood fancast of Cary Grant. http://lauri-l.tumblr.com/post/123138525265/asoiaf-old-hollywood-fancast-cary-grant-as-renly

It is indeed easier to separate when the book and show versions of a character have different personalities. Renly never particularly struck me as a major character in book or show and I have never been anything but completely indifferent about him. Gethin Antony was just fine with me, again, partly because he was the first Renly I "met". However, I did develop a strong dislike for the portrayal of Cersei, because she comes off as a completely different person in the books, and I find that character much more enjoyable to follow.  

Henry Cavill as Renly does make perfect sense, since Renly is supposed to look like Young Robert, and Henry is often fan cast as such too. 

Interesting fancast guys! I'm not sure about casting the Hemsworths as the Baratheons (Chris seems too good a guy to be Robert and Liam has this boring vibe about him, I don't know why) but I could see pre-Superman Henry Cavill as young Robert alright (hard to imagine that such beautiful creature would later grow into a wereboar, but that's life I guess). How about Jonathan Rhys Meyers? Good looking, intimidating with an indescribably unlikable vibe about him :D Sounds like Robert to me...

Casting the perfect Rhaegar is quite a task...I mean, it takes a lot of effort putting an imaginary blonde wig on some actor's head lol :D Young Brad Pitt sounds about right, but not Jared Leto (though he's such a beauty). I'm going to throw in Alexander Skarsgard in the mix here. He has this melancholic/ somber look about him that fits Rhaegar's description. Any thoughts?

More importantly, anyone has a dream cast for Daario Naharis? We all know how much time Dany spent fantasizing over the guy. He's like the mark of her puberty in ADWD. In the series, that transporter guy's jawline was quite dreamy, and Michiel Huisman is handsome as hell, but still far far far (x100) away from book Daario. Can anyone come up with a good looking guy who could miraculously nail the blue pronged beard, yellow mustache with a golden tooth sellsword look? 

1 hour ago, RhaenysB said:

However, I did develop a strong dislike for the portrayal of Cersei, because she comes off as a completely different person in the books, and I find that character much more enjoyable to follow.

I like Lena Headey but I agree with you here. Her portrayal is quite far fetch from book Cersei. Do you have a dreamcast for Cersei in mind? I'm going to throw in names...say, Eva Green and Rosamund Pike. Both are pretty good at acting an attractive manipulative psychopaths. 

Also, can someone help me find a perfect role for Tilda Swinton? She's like a female version of Gary Oldman; she could transform into anything. Great talented actress. I bet she could pull it off as Blood Raven as a substitute for Paul Bettany, really :D (great suggestion btw)

18 minutes ago, siyxx said:

Interesting fancast guys! I'm not sure about casting the Hemsworths as the Baratheons (Chris seems too good a guy to be Robert and Liam has this boring vibe about him, I don't know why) but I could see pre-Superman Henry Cavill as young Robert alright (hard to imagine that such beautiful creature would later grow into a wereboar, but that's life I guess). How about Jonathan Rhys Meyers? Good looking, intimidating with an indescribably unlikable vibe about him :D Sounds like Robert to me...

Casting the perfect Rhaegar is quite a task...I mean, it takes a lot of effort putting an imaginary blonde wig on some actor's head lol :D Young Brad Pitt sounds about right, but not Jared Leto (though he's such a beauty). I'm going to throw in Alexander Skarsgard in the mix here. He has this melancholic/ somber look about him that fits Rhaegar's description. Any thoughts?

More importantly, anyone has a dream cast for Daario Naharis? We all know how much time Dany spent fantasizing over the guy. He's like the mark of her puberty in ADWD. In the series, that transporter guy's jawline was quite dreamy, and Michiel Huisman is handsome as hell, but still far far far (x100) away from book Daario. Can anyone come up with a good looking guy who could miraculously nail the blue pronged beard, yellow mustache with a golden tooth sellsword look? 

I like Lena Headey but I agree with you here. Her portrayal is quite far fetch from book Cersei. Do you have a dreamcast for Cersei in mind? I'm going to throw in names...say, Eva Green and Rosamund Pike. Both are pretty good at acting an attractive manipulative psychopaths. 

Also, can someone help me find a perfect role for Tilda Swinton? She's like a female version of Gary Oldman; she could transform into anything. Great talented actress. I bet she could pull it off as Blood Raven as a substitute for Paul Bettany, really :D (great suggestion btw)

I'm not at all sure about young Brad Pitt. It was always 'older' (35+) Brad Pitt I fancied. And Alexander Skarsgard ain't my type. He lacks that I can look right into your soul quality in my opinion. 

I'm not a massive Lena Headey fan. She is a good actress, of course, and the problems with show Cersei have more to do with writing and directing than her acting. I don't see Eva Green as Cersei, Rosasmun Pike, possibly. There was only one time I got the feeling that this is what Cersei should be like and that was watching Vikings season 4 Aslaug, aka Alyssa Sutherland. Especially her drunk scenes which were, imho, ten times better than Lena Headey's blackwater performance. I think Alyssa's Aslaug was also the better crazy b*tch and bad mother and adultrer which are all important elements of book Cersei. 

And Daario is Johnny Depp. Blue hair, golden teeth, persona, that character was made to be played by Johnny Depp. 

LSH is the first person that pops into my mind when I think about Tilda Swinton. 

1 hour ago, siyxx said:

1 hour ago, RhaenysB said:

And Daario is Johnny Depp. Blue hair, golden teeth, persona, that character was made to be played by Johnny Depp. 

Jonathan Rhys Meyers has completely wrong physique and look for Robert. He's just 178 cm/5'10" or something like that and thin, and Robert is supposed to be huge - 6'6" (you don't need to find an actor exactly that tall, but at least someone really tall) and strapping. It would be as silly as casting JRM as the tall, strapping ginger Henry VIII... oh wait. :D

Robert also is not supposed to have an indescribably unlikable vibe about him, quite the opposite. JRM would be better for someone like Lyn Corbray, who isn't just IIRC described as slender, but who really does have that immediately scary, unlikable vibe about him even though he's handsome. Robert is supposed to be so incredibly charming and likable that most people love him even though he's an irresponsible self-centered douchebag - partially because he's not malicious, he's childishly self-obsessed and oblivious to how much he's hurting people and fucking up everything. He and Renly have that in common - they are both total self-centered douchebags, in different ways (Robert is focused on his hedonistic urges - fight, sex, drink, food, hunt - while Renly is totally in love with himself and focused on his ambition and his belief in his own awesomeness) but they are so charming that people can't bring themselves to dislike them. You need a really likable actors for these roles.

Johnny Depp is a good idea for Daario. Or maybe someone like Dave Navarro from Jane's Addiction and Red Hot Chili Peppers. No idea if he can act, but Daario is supposed to have that eccentric glammed up rock star look and vibe, combined with a bit of danger. Show Daarios were nothing like that, Ed Skrein had more of a Daario persona but he looked too Fabio, and Huisman is good-looking but looks like just another ordinary Westerosi guy.

I'm not sure if I'd cast Alexander Skaargard as Rhaegar, but he definitely needs to be a Targaryen. Tilda Swinton would also make a really good Targ.

I'll support Johnny Depp as Daario. The Tyroshi Wonder has always reminded me a bit of Captain Jack Sparrow.

Alexander Skarsgard is my Viserys III. He's not quite dreamy enough for Rhaegar. This is the guy who made Lyanna Stark (Arya one generation ago) sigh and tear up. I like AS, just for the younger brother. Nothing against Harry Lloyd, he was brilliant.

Jonathan Rhys-Myers would make a great Lysono Maar.

Tilda Swinton would be fun as one of the lady's of Dorne or the Vale. I also think she would do a creditable job a Brienne of Tarth, but she's rather on the slim side for that. 

This afternoon while waiting for an appointment I stumbled across something. Jaehaerys II's picture in the wiki has always seemed familiar to me, and now I know why. Viggo Mortensen. Here's Jaehaerys II and here's Viggo. Uncanny how close the eye set and cheekbones are. Chin's a bit different and Viggo's nose has widened as he's gotten older, but still the basic look is there.

Other ideas jotted down while waiting:

-our superheros need to be transported back in time. Let's take Thor, I mean uh, Chris, and give him Aegon I or Maegor. And Superman/Henry can be Lord Lyonel "the laughing storm" Baratheon.

-what do you think about Rhys Ifans as Aenys I?

-John Goodman as Aegon IV

-Gerard Butler as Baelor Breakspear

Tried to think of a good Maekar, but the best I could come up with was Hulk Hogan. 

8 hours ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

I'll support Johnny Depp as Daario. The Tyroshi Wonder has always reminded me a bit of Captain Jack Sparrow.

Alexander Skarsgard is my Viserys III. He's not quite dreamy enough for Rhaegar. This is the guy who made Lyanna Stark (Arya one generation ago) sigh and tear up. I like AS, just for the younger brother. Nothing against Harry Lloyd, he was brilliant.

I can't see Alexander Skarsgard as Viserys at all. He's too tall, gives off a vibe of a cool, badass guy, not a total pathetic mess that Viserys is. I don't know if I'd cast him as Rhaegar. but he'd certainly make a better Rhaegar than Viserys, Dreaminess is pretty subjective, he doesn't do it for me the way he does for many others, but he was making many fangirls sigh when he played Eric on True Blood.

I would cast him as a Targaryen, if not necessarily Rhaegar. I remember he came up recently in the Cast the Actor thread and I cast him as Aemon the Dragonknight.

I tend to see James Purefoy as Baelor Breakspear - I think I saw the fancast somewhere (possibly with clips from A Knight's Tale) and it stuck.

3 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

I can't see Alexander Skarsgard as Viserys at all. He's too tall, gives off a vibe of a cool, badass guy, not a total pathetic mess that Viserys is. I don't know if I'd cast him as Rhaegar. but he'd certainly make a better Rhaegar than Viserys, Dreaminess is pretty subjective, he doesn't do it for me the way he does for many others, but he was making many fangirls sigh when he played Eric on True Blood.

<snip

What's too tall to be Viserys? Is his height given anywhere? I can't recall.

It takes more talent to play a pathetic mess like Viserys if you usually play cool badasses.  Viserys needs to have moments of lucidity and cruelty. If you can play badass, you can play cruel. Part of the the tragedy of the character is that he sees himself and strong when in fact he's weak. He confuses bad temper and the ability to intimidate his sister with actual strength. Accurately portraying all the facets of poor, crazy Viserys takes a great deal of skill. I think AS could do it quite well.

Also this picture makes me think "You don't want to wake the dragon, do you?" 

But I concede that AS could fit in as many Targs. I was looking at pictures from the wiki last night and he would fit nicely as Aegon V. Also this picture of him does give off more of a Rhaegar vibe. ETA: Daemon Blackfyre was pretty tall, and Alexander could definitely play that role.

Purefoy as Breakspear would probably work. He certainly has the talent to play the role. Julian McMahon has the look, but I don't think I've seen anything he's been in so I can't comment on his acting ability.

58 minutes ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

What's too tall to be Viserys? Is his height given anywhere? I can't recall.

It takes more talent to play a pathetic mess like Viserys if you usually play cool badasses.  Viserys needs to have moments of lucidity and cruelty. If you can play badass, you can play cruel. Part of the the tragedy of the character is that he sees himself and strong when in fact he's weak. He confuses bad temper and the ability to intimidate his sister with actual strength. Accurately portraying all the facets of poor, crazy Viserys takes a great deal of skill. I think AS could do it quite well.

Also this picture makes me think "You don't want to wake the dragon, do you?" 

But I concede that AS could fit in as many Targs. I was looking at pictures from the wiki last night and he would fit nicely as Aegon V. Also this picture of him does give off more of a Rhaegar vibe. ETA: Daemon Blackfyre was pretty tall, and Alexander could definitely play that role.

Oh, yeah, he could be Daemon Blackfyre. Or any other good-looking Targ known for being a warrior. And he really does look Rhaegar-like in that picture. He is probably one of the best fancasts for Rhaegar I've seen. The best so far, physically at least (I'm not really familiar with his work as I've only seen a random episode or two of Vikings), is Travis Fimmel - when you find one of his pre-Vikings photos. Definitely Targaryen looking eyes. In Vikings, he looks very un-Rhaegary, with a beard and (often) shaved head. Alexander Dreymon also has Targaryen-like eyes, I just need to imagine him with silver hair and mentally disassociate him from his very non-Rhaegary character in The Last Kingdom.

That first picture makes me think of quiet menace, which is definitely not Viserys - who's an unstable, pathetic guy. He probably never managed to scare anyone other than his little sister. The Dothraki certainly didn't find him intimidating, neither did Jorah.

Viserys was never described as tall, and when Dany saw Rhaegar in the House of the Undying, she noticed he was taller than Viserys. Alexander Skarsgard is 194 cm (aka 6'4 1/2") tall.

Maybe we could cast his dad Stellan as another Targaryen? I'm not sure who.

4 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

Oh, yeah, he could be Daemon Blackfyre. Or any other good-looking Targ known for being a warrior. And he really does look Rhaegar-like in that picture. He is probably one of the best fancasts for Rhaegar I've seen. The best so far, physically at least (I'm not really familiar with his work as I've only seen a random episode or two of Vikings), is Travis Fimmel - when you find one of his pre-Vikings photos. Definitely Targaryen looking eyes. In Vikings, he looks very un-Rhaegary, with a beard and (often) shaved head. Alexander Dreymon also has Targaryen-like eyes, I just need to imagine him with silver hair and mentally disassociate him from his very non-Rhaegary character in The Last Kingdom.

<snip

Maybe we could cast his dad Stellan as another Targaryen? I'm not sure who.

I agree on Travis Fimmel. Have to look up Dreymon.

I think Stellan could play Viserys I convincingly. Aegon II is another option, but I'm not as sure on that.

Johnny Depp as Daario :laugh: That'd be perfect....if not more fodder for the Daario  = Euron theories :P

Speaking of Euron, his headcanon, looks wise, is Richard Armitage for me....but acting-wise, it's got to be Mads Mikkelsen.

Alexander Skaarsgard isn't really my type, but he isn't a bad choice for Rhaegar. In most of his pictures though, he seems more like Aegon III to me:

http://static.srcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/Alexander-Skarsgard-in-True-Blood-570x392.jpg

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BMjEyNTgxNTk0M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzM5Mjc1OA@@._V1_UY317_CR4,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

More of a "serious" look than melancholy. Has the build of Aegon III too, if we go by the wiki picture.

Alexander Dreymon has this sweet-boyish look that makes me think of an older Edric Dayne. 

For Viserys, it's got to be Harry Lloyd. He was brilliant - both looks and acting wise, I'd say.

11 hours ago, siyxx said:

Orlando Bloom in LOTR and Lee Pace in The Hobbit could be a Targ (they look amazing in platinum blonde wig)...any ideas on who should they portray? 

My current headcanon for Rhaegar is Orlando.....but a major problem is the height and the skinny build...not to say he should be as muscled as Robert, but he really has an archer's and not a swordsman'/warrior build.

Prince Valarr or Prince Matarys for Orlando Bloom maybe? Or if he needs to be Rhaegar he could always bulk up for the part.

I think Lee Pace just might be the man to play Aegon V. 

Not sure about AS for Aegon III. The character has a somewhat wider chin than AS does. Could work though. What about Aerys I? He'd have to be aged through makeup, but the face shape is right.

While we're on LotR and Hobbit cast members, how about Hugo Weaving for Viserys II?

Also can we throw Eric Bana in somewhere? Perhaps one of the Targs who takes after Myriah Martell?

Eric Bana could be Maron Martell, the guy who marries the first Daenerys and builds the Water Gardens for her. Baelor Breakspear took after Myriah, but his look is very different from Bana.

Hugo Weaving could be a great Viserys II, though he looks different. AS would have to be aged up a looot for Aerys 1. What about Rhys Ifans for Aerys 1?

Brad Pitt in his Troy look would make a pretty good Daemon Blackfyre.

Who's going to be Sheira and Bittersteel? I always imagined Sheira as Scarlett Johansson.

I like Ifans for Aenys, but he could play Aerys I.

Sheira is a tough one. The actress needs a heart-shaped face. ScarJo's is more a triangle I think. So here's a list of possibles: Ashley Benson, Jennifer Lawrence, Alexis Bledel, Mena Suvari (hard to picture her with the white hair), Christina Ricci, or Chloe Grace Moretz.

Ignoring the face shape altogether Charlize Theron would be a good choice. Rachel Taylor is also worth considering. For an older Sheira I'd say Nicole Kidman, Michelle Pfeiffer, Angelina Jolie. Generally I wouldn't say Emma Stone, but the eyes in this picture rather caught me. Compare it to the image of Sheira in the Wiki. Amanda Schull might work.

Maybe Luke Evans as young Bittersteel? Or maybe Karl Urban.

Got a couple more Rhaegar ideas here. Taylor Kitsch or Johann Urb.

On the animated front I'm thinking Esmeralda from The Hunchback of Notre Dame for Taena of Myr. Rabbit from Winnie the Pooh stories for Bowen Marsh. And a recast on Ariel making her Arianne to King Triton's Doran. That may seem odd at first but check out the edited version of the scene where Triton confronts Ariel about saving Eric/Arys (played by Capt. Phoebus from Hunchback).

Doran: I consider myself a reasonable Dornishman. I set certain rules, and I expect those rules to be obeyed.
Arianne: But Daddy-
Doran: Is it true, you slept with a Kingsguard?
Arianne: Daddy, I had to.
Doran: Sexual contact between the Kingsguard and the Princess of Dorne is strictly forbidden. Arianne, you know that! Everyone knows that.
Arianne: But I had a plan! And now he's dead. *sniff*
Doran: One less Kingsguard to worry about.
Arianne: You don't even know him.
Doran: Know him? I don't need to know him. One Stormlander is like another: spineless, Lannister-serving, lackeys.
Arianne: Daddy, I loved him!
Doran: No. Have you lost your senses completely? He's a Stormlander, you're Dornish!
Arianne: I don't care.
Doran: So help me, Arianne, I am going to get through to you. And if this is the only way...so be it!  (locks her in a tower)
Arianne: Daddy...NO! 

Also, Jessica Rabbit as Melisandre. :D

On 9/17/2016 at 2:26 PM, Lady Blizzardborn said:

Got a couple more Rhaegar ideas here. Taylor Kitsch or Johann Urb.

On the animated front I'm thinking Esmeralda from The Hunchback of Notre Dame for Taena of Myr. Rabbit from Winnie the Pooh stories for Bowen Marsh. And a recast on Ariel making her Arianne to King Triton's Doran. That may seem odd at first but check out the edited version of the scene where Triton confronts Ariel about saving Eric/Arys (played by Capt. Phoebus from Hunchback).

Doran: I consider myself a reasonable Dornishman. I set certain rules, and I expect those rules to be obeyed.
Arianne: But Daddy-
Doran: Is it true, you slept with a Kingsguard?
Arianne: Daddy, I had to.
Doran: Sexual contact between the Kingsguard and the Princess of Dorne is strictly forbidden. Arianne, you know that! Everyone knows that.
Arianne: But I had a plan! And now he's dead. *sniff*
Doran: One less Kingsguard to worry about.
Arianne: You don't even know him.
Doran: Know him? I don't need to know him. One Stormlander is like another: spineless, Lannister-serving, lackeys.
Arianne: Daddy, I loved him!
Doran: No. Have you lost your senses completely? He's a Stormlander, you're Dornish!
Arianne: I don't care.
Doran: So help me, Arianne, I am going to get through to you. And if this is the only way...so be it!  (locks her in a tower)
Arianne: Daddy...NO! 

Also, Jessica Rabbit as Melisandre. :D

LOL!

Grandmother Fa from Mulan as Olenna Tyrell - spunky, sassy grandmas both

Maybe Cruella De Vil for Cersei? 

Queen Elinor from Brave for Catelyn - both strong motherly roles

Merida from Brave for Arya or Ygritte

Quasimodo from the Hunchback of Notre Dame could be Tyrion! And Esmeralda could be great as Taena.

Belle and Beast could be Sansa/Sandor? 

Belle usually gets mentioned as Margaery due to physical description, but then Sansa/Sandor bring up a lot of BatB parallels. 

I really like Rapunzel for Tyene Sand. 

Was talking cartoon casting with my sister and she suggested Flynn Rider for Daario. I think I may have giggled. "Here comes the smoulder, my queen."

Archived