If the series ends with a character's inner thought...

James Steller

I think that it is something that another poster had said years ago but I love it, it was about Jaime sitting on the Iron Throne and waiting for someone to arrive and claim the kingdom.

Walder Frey on arriving at the battlefield where the others and rest of humanity all died, just after the fighting had finished: "Heh."

Arya sitting in front of a heart tree, feeling connected to the family she's largely lost, not knowing that Bran is out there somewhere connected to the weirnet.

2 hours ago, Remiem said:

It's not what I want to happen but sometimes I think it will be Sam at the end writing all this history down (like Jon pretty much suggested to him at some point).

I think it will either be this, or Bran on a weirwood throne under Winterfell watching all of this play out from many years in the past...he'll be a Bloodraven type of creature...and more. He'll also see small Stark kids fighting with wooden swords above him in the godswood. I think I remember that GRRM once said that the story begins and ends with Bran.

"She gazed up at the Queen on the Iron Throne. Twenty years it had taken her to learn what kind of smile was hidden beneath the Golden Crown. O cruel, needless misunderstanding! O stubborn, self-willed exile from the loving breast! Two wine-scented tears trickled down the sides of her nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. Daenerys had won the victory over herself. She loved Queen Cersei, First of her Name."

My pet guess is it will end with the Starks finding the direwolves from the perspective of somebody warging backward through time into either the stag or the wolf that are found next to them, and then that person dying knowing that they either protected the direwolf pups from being killed, as the wolf, or failed to kill them, as the stag. I keep going back and forth on whom I'd want that to be or why.

One idea I had was that it would be Sam left at the end - holed up at the top of the Hightower, with the last light in the world dwindling around him, entering the mind of the stag to try to kill the pups, and that his last thoughts in his failure would be appreciating how warm the Long Summer had been, and gratitude for having gotten to feel it a last time.

But if it is to be Bran at the end, which would make sense, perhaps it'll be him realizing his work is done and wanting to "die" as an individual, so he wargs into the mama wolf to fight off the stag. When he dies inside of her, his consciousness loses its form and is absorbed back into the weirwood net, with the last thoughts being memories of his (all long dead) siblings smiling as they cuddle their puppies, fashioning a reasonable facsimile of a welcome to the hereafter - and the last sentence would be about wind through trees, which, if words are wind, is meta-about the only thing left being the books.

Maybe it even gets super-creepy and Bran wargs into the mama wolf a little bit ahead of time, so he can feel giving birth to his wolf-self and his wolf-siblings, and then die protecting them.

A very GRRM-y way to end it would have it end in some sort of ambiguous death scenario - where either the characters are headed off to inevitable death on a down note, but we don't actually get to see it happen, or the characters have all already been dead a long time and we haven't known it yet until the end, or there's a fight we don't see the conclusion of, but which we already have a good sense of the likely outcome, that changes the context of something we know about a character.

22 hours ago, James Steller said:

Who do you want to have the last sentence in this story, and what do you want them to think?

I want Dany to have the last sentence in the story.  She would be facing a large pile of wood with Jon Snow tied to a stake in the middle.  Drogon waiting eagerly for Dany's command.

"Dracarys"

And Jon is turned to ash in a matter of minutes.

Archived