If the series ends with a character's inner thought...

James Steller

This is just my ending, I know that it isn't exactly an "inner thought".

Tyrion turns to Varys "how many died to put her on the throne?" he asked.

"Including the war with the Others, the five Kings, the War of the 3 Queens, the Wildings, the incidentals along the way to say nothing of the Wars in Essos, no one is sure, with disease and starvation maybe hundreds of thousands, " Varys replied.

Tyrion took a long drink, held his glass up to the light and shook his head slowly, "was it worth it?  Will the bards sing glorious songs of ice, fire and death?"

Varys paused a moment, "no, the bards never sing of the little people, they sing of glorious victories and glorious defeats.  They never sing of what really happened.  Maybe some writer will put it in a book and it will go into the library at the Citadel and never be seen again.  Would you want to read this story or hear this song?"

"I guess not, what will you do now?"

"What I always do, and you?"

"Get drunk, find a beautiful whore." Tyrion turned and started away, he paused and turned, "Varys, was it all worth it?"

Varys took just a moment, "I guess that depends on your point of view."

Tyrion took a moment, he thought about what the cost had been.  His entire family gone, so many men and women, boys and girls, good, bad and indifferent once alive now no more.  "Varys, if someone ever writes that book our lives will read better than they lived."  And he walked away.

8 hours ago, Targaryen Restoration said:

I want Dany to have the last sentence in the story.  She would be facing a large pile of wood with Jon Snow tied to a stake in the middle.  Drogon waiting eagerly for Dany's command.

"Dracarys"

And Jon is turned to ash in a matter of minutes.

Err, if she has dragons, she has no need of pile ofwood and stake. Are you sure your Dany isn't warged by Stannis? 

Tyrion looked at his grandchildren down at the beach. Sunset, so dark already. He definitely needed more light for the last touches on his most recent book, eagerly awaited by fandom: Travels into Several Remote Nations of the World. In Seven  Parts. By Tyrion Hill, First a Dwarf, then Queenmaker and Hand of Kings and then a Captain of Several Ships, commonly known as Tyrion's Travels

More light!

"Daenerys stared down at the dwarf's head, mounted on a stake in the Courtyard.  Its lips were curled back, seeming to mock her, even in death.  Ravens had torn its eyes from their sockets, and flies crawled in and out of its mouth.

"Doubtless my lord imp, it amused you to display your cock to me in front of my courtiers, and invite me to pleasure you with my mouth. I trust you will spend eternity laughing in the Seven Hells!"

I wonder  if you don't like Tyrion, Sean F. .................!?

Don't worry, I am not going to write a disgusting retaliation about Dany , too cheap, apart from that I like  all the main heroes, Tyrion, Dany, Jon and Arya. And Brienne and Davos and Sam....they can all have the last word. I am looking forward to it.

25 minutes ago, Woman of War said:

I wonder  if you don't like Tyrion, Sean F. .................!?

Don't worry, I am not going to write a disgusting retaliation about Dany , too cheap, apart from that I like  all the main heroes, Tyrion, Dany, Jon and Arya. And Brienne and Davos and Sam....they can all have the last word. I am looking forward to it.

Actually, I do like Tyrion as a character.  I just like to imagine him saying something wildly inappropriate to Daenerys, on meeting her.

LOL, maybe he does, only he won't be beheaded by her, certainly not when meeting her. He may though later curse himself for his loose mouth, volunteering for something crazy. But if Tyrion dies before the very end it will have some touch of heroism.

A more serious answer then I gave before, I do believe the last words will be a conversation between Varys and Littlefinger, involving one of them being a prisoner awaiting execution after losing the personal game of who they place on the Iron Throne, that those two have been playing against each other from the start.

19 hours ago, Targaryen Restoration said:

I want Dany to have the last sentence in the story.  She would be facing a large pile of wood with Jon Snow tied to a stake in the middle.  Drogon waiting eagerly for Dany's command.

"Dracarys"

The perfect ending.

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 3:16 PM, Targaryen Restoration said:

"Dracarys"

I'm a big fan of Jon and would like for him to have a better ending but if it went down like this, his last thought before being engulfed in flame should be "winter is coming"

On 9/14/2016 at 0:27 PM, GyantSpyder said:

My pet guess is it will end with the Starks finding the direwolves from the perspective of somebody warging backward through time into either the stag or the wolf that are found next to them, and then that person dying knowing that they either protected the direwolf pups from being killed, as the wolf, or failed to kill them, as the stag. I keep going back and forth on whom I'd want that to be or 

But if it is to be Bran at the end, which would make sense, perhaps it'll be him realizing his work is done and wanting to "die" as an individual, so he wargs into the mama wolf to fight off the stag. When he dies inside of her, his consciousness loses its form and is absorbed back into the weirwood net, with the last thoughts being memories of his (all long dead) siblings smiling as they cuddle their puppies, fashioning a reasonable facsimile of a welcome to the hereafter - and the last sentence would be about wind through trees, which, if words are wind, is meta-about the only thing left being the books.

Maybe it even gets super-creepy and Bran wargs into the mama wolf a little bit ahead of time, so he can feel giving birth to his wolf-self and his wolf-siblings, and then die protecting them.

Time out! I know this is off topic from the OP but do we know that time travel skin changing is possible? I'm aware that Bran/BR can SEE past, present, future but is it known that they can skinchange past, present, and future?

If so, a whole lot of messes could be cleaned up, leaving us a pretty lame story.

2 hours ago, OtherFromAnotherMother said:

Time out! I know this is off topic from the OP but do we know that time travel skin changing is possible? I'm aware that Bran/BR can SEE past, present, future but is it known that they can skinchange past, present, and future?

If so, a whole lot of messes could be cleaned up, leaving us a pretty lame story.

No, we don't know it's possible - it's pure speculation. I just thought it would be a cool for the story to end at the beginning and have some cyclicality to it. And it would be a way for the ending to feel a little sweet, even if the world still ends and everybody still dies.

I've been reading a lot of old GRRM lately, and the whole "everybody is dead or gone, except the protagonist gets to end on a brief moment of hope or happiness right before they die, and that's enough" happens more than once. We'll eventually see if he's gotten any more optimistic since the 1970s.

On 9/15/2016 at 8:29 AM, No True Knights said:

A more serious answer then I gave before, I do believe the last words will be a conversation between Varys and Littlefinger, involving one of them being a prisoner awaiting execution after losing the personal game of who they place on the Iron Throne, that those two have been playing against each other from the start.

And the one imprisoned pays a copper to the winner.

On 9/13/2016 at 8:45 PM, James Steller said:

Who do you want to have the last sentence in this story, and what do you want them to think?

Who do you want to have the last sentence in this story?  Daenerys Targaryen

What do you want them to think? 

A wide, open field of grass right outside the newly built Queen's Landing.  It's a warm spring day.  Daenerys, Missandei, Greyworm, and Ghost are enjoying the sunshine. 

Missandei throws a round leather ball and says to Ghost, "Fetch boy!  Fetch!"

Ghost looked confused.  He sits on his haunches and proceeds to lick his private  area, chasing a moving flea.

Missandei, "This one is very sorry Your Grace.  Jon is still as dense as he was before he became a dog."

Greyworm turns to his queen, "My Queen, do you want that I should teach him to sit on command?"

Missandei laughs and says, "We need to housebreak him first.  He left a big loaf in the throne room this morning."

"Greyworm will teach him to pinch his next loaf outside" volunteered the Unsullied commander.

Daenerys looked at the big white wolf.  "No. Just get him a Milkbone."

Missandei pats Jon on the head.  "If it's any consolation Your Grace, he's much better looking now that he's a dog!"

Daenerys, "I suppose we have to let him back inside the palace.  He is my only nephew."

A few different possibilities:

1. Bran: seems very likely, as he was the first POV character, and also the first character that George imagined when beginning to craft ASOIAF. Storywise, this would wrap everything up nicely, especially as the last book was originally titled "A Time for Wolves."
2. Sam: equally as likely as Bran I would think. There are so many obvious parallels between Sam Tarley an Sam Gamgee, and Martin is a huge fan of LotR for the most part. I can't remember if the books end this way, but I can see them ending the way the movies did - with Sam continuing on the story. Makes a lot of sense if he's a Maester at that point, plus I can see Jon dying before the end or leaving (ala Frodo). 
3. A new or current non-POV character: would be fitting for George to wrap the series up with someone who perhaps has a completely objective opinion of events. Would be interesting to end it on a note where an outsider comments on everything that's happened in a very dismissive/nonchalant way - very fitting as most characters from ASOIAF speak the same way about the Others for most part of the series, Roberts Rebellion, etc. 
4. Someone mentioned this above: a conversation between Littlefinger and Varys. I don't know how likely that is, but it would definitely be a very cool way to end it: between the 2 people that had and probably still will continue to have a lot of control over events (likelihood of either/both dying before the end notwithstanding). 

I think it's also possible that George might include a bit at the end of the books detailing what happened to most of the remaining main characters, and what they did for the rest of their lives - only if this wasn't included in the story in some way.

Archived