Dog or Marriage?

The Anti-Targ

I was briefly married to someone who was allergic to cats who I told if he didn't want to sleep among cats he'd have to do it elsewhere than my bed, which has also been Guava's bed for 12 years. Also, people with pet allergies will eventually get used to their own pet and not be allergic to it specifically. I sleep in a pile of cats that I value more than any man. If it's between a dude and my cat's happiness, there are always more guys. There is only one Guava, and he is the embodiment of all worldly goodness.

Interesting, I did not know one will stop having allergic reactions like that. I think my cousin still has allergic reactions to their guinea pig, although it has been in the house for a while.

I am very strict about what goes onto my bed. I like both cats and dogs, but if there was a potential for a human person being on my bed, then he would have more right to it than an animal.

18 minutes ago, Kelli Fury said:

I was briefly married to someone who was allergic to cats who I told if he didn't want to sleep among cats he'd have to do it elsewhere than my bed, which has also been Guava's bed for 12 years. Also, people with pet allergies will eventually get used to their own pet and not be allergic to it specifically. I sleep in a pile of cats that I value more than any man. If it's between a dude and my cat's happiness, there are always more guys. There is only one Guava, and he is the embodiment of all worldly goodness.

2 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Interesting, I did not know one will stop having allergic reactions like that. I think my cousin still has allergic reactions to their guinea pig, although it has been in the house for a while.

Yeah, well it's not actually true. Some people naturally overcome allergies, some people never do. How many people do you know who have lived in the same environment for many years and yet still get hay fever every year. If allergies worked this way, that you eventually overcome the ones you're regularly exposed to, then people should get over their hay fever after a few years. Doesn't happen reliably.

OTOH I was allergic to dairy as a kid, now I'm not. The most common spontaneous cure is for childhood allergies to disappear after puberty.

Severity of cat allergy can vary from cat to cat. I'm allergic to cats - but I still became a vet. For some cats, I walk into their domain and I start getting puffy eyes and runny nose within half an hour without even touching the cat. With other cats they can sit on my lap and I can pet them for hours the first time I meet them and I'm fine, so long as I wash my hands before touching any sensitive parts of my face (mouth, eyes, ears, nose). 

59 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

honestly though, if someone told me they'd only date me if i got rid of my dog i'd be like ''LMAO SEE YA, LAD'' and push them out the metaphorical moon door 

This is the appropriate reaction. 

I really want a dog :(

My husband likes animals, but didn't really want any when we got married.

We now have 3 dogs (2 Great Danes and a pug)

8 cats

2 sheep

2 chickens

The pug sleeps in our bed, but the big girls have their own bed on the floor next to their momma :wub:. I don't trust people that don't like dogs.

19 hours ago, Kelli Fury said:

It may be true for some people, but I haven't met anyone with that luck.

Unfortunately for me, I can't have cats or dogs because of allergy, and this loving them and wanting to have them, and being in close contact with several ones since I was 10 from people who don't suffer allergy because I feel the need to play with them.

Allergies are serious issues, and one can't control them. Anyone is free to stablish any rule to their partner, but I bet these priorities would slightly differ if one started suffering every day what the allergic person does and couldn't do anything.

I've read that there are some special breeds that are hypoallergenic, but haven't met a single one yet.

19 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Yeah, well it's not actually true. Some people naturally overcome allergies, some people never do. How many people do you know who have lived in the same environment for many years and yet still get hay fever every year. If allergies worked this way, that you eventually overcome the ones you're regularly exposed to, then people should get over their hay fever after a few years. Doesn't happen reliably.

OTOH I was allergic to dairy as a kid, now I'm not. The most common spontaneous cure is for childhood allergies to disappear after puberty.

Severity of cat allergy can vary from cat to cat. I'm allergic to cats - but I still became a vet. For some cats, I walk into their domain and I start getting puffy eyes and runny nose within half an hour without even touching the cat. With other cats they can sit on my lap and I can pet them for hours the first time I meet them and I'm fine, so long as I wash my hands before touching any sensitive parts of my face (mouth, eyes, ears, nose). 

In my case if I touch a cat outdoors, I don't suffer allergic symptoms, and I always clean my hands before and after touching them. I suppose it's due to ventilation or because I'm not super allergic to them.

With indoors cats, I always have rash, and stringing throat pain, sometimes just sneezes. The symptoms are usually worse when the cat has more fur (like Persian cats). 

46 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

My husband likes animals, but didn't really want any when we got married.

We now have 3 dogs (2 Great Danes and a pug)

8 cats

2 sheep

2 chickens

The pug sleeps in our bed, but the big girls have their own bed on the floor next to their momma :wub:. I don't trust people that don't like dogs.

You are so lucky, Leech! :)

That title sounded so much like a concept for a great Game/Dating show.

The sentient being behind door 1) likes being outdoor, enjoys a good piece of meat, one of his biggest hobbies is chasing stray cats of the lawn and likes to lick the lady of his heart.

Well, say what you will, but from the mere concept it does not make any less sense than the Bachelor(ette).

4 hours ago, Meera of Tarth said:

It may be true for some people, but I haven't met anyone with that luck.

Unfortunately for me, I can't have cats or dogs because of allergy, and this loving them and wanting to have them, and being in close contact with several ones since I was 10 from people who don't suffer allergy because I feel the need to play with them.

Allergies are serious issues, and one can't control them. Anyone is free to stablish any rule to their partner, but I bet these priorities would slightly differ if one started suffering every day what the allergic person does and couldn't do anything.

I've read that there are some special breeds that are hypoallergenic, but haven't met a single one yet.

In my case if I touch a cat outdoors, I don't suffer allergic symptoms, and I always clean my hands before and after touching them. I suppose it's due to ventilation or because I'm not super allergic to them.

With indoors cats, I always have rash, and stringing throat pain, sometimes just sneezes. The symptoms are usually worse when the cat has more fur (like Persian cats)

I read an article saying that fur length has nothing to do with severity of allergic response per se, because it's the dander (skin flakes) and saliva that are the allergens. But there could be a correlation of fur length with dander shedding / trapping in the fur, and the extent of grooming that applies saliva on the fur. And it could be that the antigenic proteins in the skin and saliva that cause the allergies differ from breed to breed or individual cat to individual cat.

1 minute ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I read an article saying that fur length has nothing to do with severity of allergic response per se, because it's the dander (skin flakes) and saliva that are the allergens. But there could be a correlation of fur length with dander shedding / trapping in the fur, and the extent of grooming that applies saliva on the fur. And it could be that the antigenic proteins in the skin and saliva that cause the allergies differ from breed to breed or individual cat to individual cat.

Oh, that's interesting. Yes, they told me I'm allergic to epitheliums of dog and cats. I suppose it's related to their skin or saliva as you mention

5 hours ago, Notone said:

That title sounded so much like a concept for a great Game/Dating show.

The sentient being behind door 1) likes being outdoor, enjoys a good piece of meat, one of his biggest hobbies is chasing stray cats of the lawn and likes to lick the lady of his heart.

Well, say what you will, but from the mere concept it does not make any less sense than the Bachelor(ette).

It might actually be a dating "reality" show I would watch

Dog or marriage, dog or marriage, dog or marriage, dog or marriage dog or marriage dog or marrige dog marriage dog marriage DOG MARRIAGE DOG MARRIAGE YOU SHALL MARRY YOUR DOG YOU SHALL MARRY YOUR DOG YOU SHALL MARRY YOUR DOG!!!

The whole thing is so hypnotic, are we not so well trained by the pets?

Archived