USA Rail Pass: Training around the US

Lily Valley

Good morning nice people!  I am planning on getting a 30 day or 45 day US Rail pass this summer.  Does anyone have experience with the USA Rail Pass?  Best routes to get the most out of it?  Segments of the system that are miserable?  Anyone want to hang out this summer and catch a movie or drink a beer?  I'm going to be free from early June to early August.  I think.   Thanks fellow travelers!

49 minutes ago, Astromech said:

I have no experience with the USA Rail Pass, only Eurail Passes. The one U.S. train voyage I've had my eye on for a while is the Empire Builder which follows portions of the Lewis & Clark Trail. https://www.amtrak.com/empire-builder-train

OOOOOH!  That does look pretty.  I haven't decided where to start.  I am pretty sure I will only cross the country once and fly home.  I took the train at 19 from Portland Or to New Orleans and it was a 4 day back breaker.  This looks like a nice stretch for one direction.  I shall report if I take it.

38 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

The Surf Liner goes from LA to SF and is 5 hours of near-ocean training.

Edit: I probably misremembered the name of the train that makes the LA-SF leg. Just the whole west coast by Amtrak cant do you wrong.

My people are in the Pac NW.  I don't like California enough to do a trip independently of seeing friends, but I have a few in LA that I am planning to visit.  Hm.  If I can find enough stops, I may do a loop.

9 minutes ago, Lily Valley said:

My people are in the Pac NW.  I don't like California enough to do a trip independently of seeing friends, but I have a few in LA that I am planning to visit.  Hm.  If I can find enough stops, I may do a loop.

You could also keep going, and hit Portland, Seattle, and Vancouver.

9 minutes ago, Swordfish said:

You could also keep going, and hit Portland, Seattle, and Vancouver.

That's a definite.  My parents are up there and I love Seattle.  Skipping Vancouver, unfortunately. :(  I haven't been there in 22 years.  

The only significant train ride I've taken was a trip from San Francisco to Boston.    The first leg was on Amtrak's California Zephyr from San Francisco to Chicago.  It runs through Sacramento, Reno, Salt Lake and Denver, crossing the  Sierras at  Donner Pass then over the Rockies in Colorado.  Changed trains in Chicago and took the Lake Shore Limited to Boston which follows the Great Lakes to upstate New York then crosses over to Massachusetts.

Did it in December, was beautiful ride going through the snow covered passes and great plains while sitting warm and snug in the observation car.   Passed most the Great Lakes portion at night, so didn't get as much of a view.

8 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

If you find your way up to New England or Upstate NY, I will happily buy you a beer or three.  

Very excited for you and jealous!  Sounds like a lot of fun.

Some thematic reading suggestions:

Rail Sea

On the Road

Larry, my Gran is in New England, and I've never ever been to NYC.  I'll definitely be in that area.  Looks like late June / early July.  Possibly early June.  I'd love to go upstate for a reason.  My pals went to college up there and I hear it's breathtaking.  I also hear it's close to parts of Canadia.

1 hour ago, Leofric said:

The only significant train ride I've taken was a trip from San Francisco to Boston.    The first leg was on Amtrak's California Zephyr from San Francisco to Chicago.  It runs through Sacramento, Reno, Salt Lake and Denver, crossing the  Sierras at  Donner Pass then over the Rockies in Colorado.  Changed trains in Chicago and took the Lake Shore Limited to Boston which follows the Great Lakes to upstate New York then crosses over to Massachusetts.

Did it in December, was beautiful ride going through the snow covered passes and great plains while sitting warm and snug in the observation car.   Passed most the Great Lakes portion at night, so didn't get as much of a view.

Never occurred to me to take the train back from SF to Chicago.  That sounds like a pretty ride.  The City of New Orleans isn't very pretty, but it runs like a clock.  It would get me home.

Well it should go without saying if you hit up the Boston area, you not only have several beers waiting for you, but a cozy and booky guest room to crash in as needed.

though I guess I should really check with the wife of we have any trips planned where we will serendipitously be in the same city because that is apparently how this works 

either way have fun, this sounds awesome

21 hours ago, Lily Valley said:

Larry, my Gran is in New England, and I've never ever been to NYC.  I'll definitely be in that area.  Looks like late June / early July.  Possibly early June.  I'd love to go upstate for a reason.  My pals went to college up there and I hear it's breathtaking.  I also hear it's close to parts of Canadia.

Lily, I plan to be visiting NYC myself in June or July.  If you make it there at the same time, I'll buy you a book at The Strand

31 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

It also takes you less than 20m from my front door, albeit the train hasn't stopped there in like 60 years.  Wave eastward as you go through Stuvesant.

Larry: I'm often in Albany for work. I'll look you up next time since it's close.

Archived