Soup or Man?

Weeping Sore

I was buying some groceries the other night that included black beans and tomatoes and I heard the cashier say, "Are you making super tacos?"

"No," I said, "I'm making soup." Awkward silence.

"That's what I asked," she said.

"I thought you said super tacos," I said. Of course she hadn't asked if I was making super tacos. No one would ask that.

Any other misheard exchanges leading to embarrassment, boarders?

I have this happen to me all the time.  I go through life only half paying attention to what's going on around me, and as I result, I wind up misunderstanding all sorts of things.  I generally just ask, "I beg your pardon?" and save myself all kinds of embarrassment.  I thought this guy at Lowe's asked me if I was a virgin last week...he was asking about what version my washing machine was.  I am an idiot.

My favorite misunderstandings are song lyrics.  I have a friend who will always be known as Carla Potato because she thought the lyrics to that Madonna song La Isla Bonita was "Lucky Star Potato".

You will never hear that song again and not sing, LUCKY STAR POTATO.

3 hours ago, Elder Sister said:

I have this happen to me all the time.  I go through life only half paying attention to what's going on around me, and as I result, I wind up misunderstanding all sorts of things.  I generally just ask, "I beg your pardon?" and save myself all kinds of embarrassment.  I thought this guy at Lowe's asked me if I was a virgin last week...he was asking about what version my washing machine was.  I am an idiot.

My favorite misunderstandings are song lyrics.  I have a friend who will always be known as Carla Potato because she thought the lyrics to that Madonna song La Isla Bonita was "Lucky Star Potato".

You will never hear that song again and not sing, LUCKY STAR POTATO.

My best friend growing up thought the song "its the stuff that dreams are made of" was "nothing beats a tomato".

@Lily, it's the shorts.  

I've never heard of this before HE, I don't often listen to classical music in english, and much less religious pieces.

But speeking of omnipotent reindeers, when I was six or seven at Christmas (and all my Christmasses had been white) I thought that Bing Crosby was dreaming of Hawaii at Christmas.

As an exchange-student I was at a complete loss when I heard my Calculus teacher speaking of a "horse honour" line test, to my german ears the word horizontal without a t was just impossible.

11 hours ago, R'hllors Red Lobster said:

Smashing through the boundary!

lunacy has found me!

now its time for manta ray!

I have a beloved couple of friends whose first child was named Zachary.  I have always cherished the story of their serenading the baby with Metallica's 'Zach-ar-ay!'

My son misheard the cashier when she asked: "would you like a bag?" My son thought she said: "would you like to die?" He responded indignantly: "not any time soon!" "Would you like a bag?" "Not any time soon!" 

Archived