Do u believe Varys' castration story?

One-eyed Misbehavin

On 9/16/2016 at 9:45 PM, One-eyed Misbehavin said:

I was going to bring up the east but Dany's Dragons helped all of the examples you used, I still agree with you but I would say chopping a Peter off and talking to someone/anyone you want is pretty freaking amazing for asoiaf time period. And whoever this magic man was probably should have tried to hook up with BR somehow. I heard he doesn't dig those blackfyres much. Lost an eye fighting against them, killed some sons idk big mess

I was thinking that too, about how the magic we learn of in the east could have a lot to do with the dragons.

But, Mirri didn't seem too impressed with her own powers. Surely if it was Dany's presence, and or the still unborn dragons in their stone eggs, she would've realized it and I think would've acted a lot differently towards Dany. I think she would do anything to stay in her good graces as her powers developed. I realize this is just speculation, I'm just not seeing anything in the text that makes it seem what Mirri is doing is somehow out of the norm from what she's used to. 

The same reasoning goes for the Undying. Whatever she sees in their temple, they've been there for a while. Likely yes, her being her, and her just being there made the whole situation all the more intense, but they's still some crazy magic there it's been there since before the dragons came back. 

As for the fire mage, even Quaithe explains that his magic has gotten much more powerful since the dragons came, however she does not say that he did "no magic" before that. 

Plus who even knows what's been going on in Asshai underneath the shadow all these decades. 

All I'm really trying to say is, the man who allegedly castrated Varys might've known magic, but he wasn't anybody of note who might pop back up in the story.

Although, the idea that he's not castrated is starting to grow on me. Would explain how he can easily grow stubble to suit his disguises and it would be very handy for his situation to come off as less of a threat in a testosterone fueled society.  

On September 22, 2016 at 0:31 AM, erra said:

I was thinking that too, about how the magic we learn of in the east could have a lot to do with the dragons.

But, Mirri didn't seem too impressed with her own powers. Surely if it was Dany's presence, and or the still unborn dragons in their stone eggs, she would've realized it and I think would've acted a lot differently towards Dany. I think she would do anything to stay in her good graces as her powers developed. I realize this is just speculation, I'm just not seeing anything in the text that makes it seem what Mirri is doing is somehow out of the norm from what she's used to. 

The same reasoning goes for the Undying. Whatever she sees in their temple, they've been there for a while. Likely yes, her being her, and her just being there made the whole situation all the more intense, but they's still some crazy magic there it's been there since before the dragons came back. 

As for the fire mage, even Quaithe explains that his magic has gotten much more powerful since the dragons came, however she does not say that he did "no magic" before that. 

Plus who even knows what's been going on in Asshai underneath the shadow all these decades. 

All I'm really trying to say is, the man who allegedly castrated Varys might've known magic, but he wasn't anybody of note who might pop back up in the story.

Although, the idea that he's not castrated is starting to grow on me. Would explain how he can easily grow stubble to suit his disguises and it would be very handy for his situation to come off as less of a threat in a testosterone fueled society.  

My quote is slightly off... I definitely meant to say how much stronger the magic has gotten rather than the dragons "bringing all magic back." I like your analysis of Mirri too and I have to agree, your other examples are solid as well. And I for sure didn't forget about asshai haha but nice post 

Hi,

Varys is one of my favourite characters. I am pretty sure his story is fake.

I posted my theory on Varys' castration a while ago. I would love to here an opinion, but unfortunately this topic doesn't seem to be one of the most interesting to the board members :(

Archived