Senlin Ascends by Josiah Bancroft

Werthead

4 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Yup, he submitted the book to traditional publishers. After he had self-published it already :)

There are some rare occasions where a traditional publisher will pick up a self-published book (Paolini), but as a rule of thumb, they won't look at it. Pre-emptive self-publishing introduces a host of of copyright issues, and publishers find it easier to just steer clear. Agents know that too, so they steer clear as well.

Budding authors take note - don't stick your work online or self-publish if you want it traditionally published. 

21 hours ago, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

There are some rare occasions where a traditional publisher will pick up a self-published book (Paolini), but as a rule of thumb, they won't look at it. Pre-emptive self-publishing introduces a host of of copyright issues, and publishers find it easier to just steer clear. Agents know that too, so they steer clear as well.

Budding authors take note - don't stick your work online or self-publish if you want it traditionally published. 

Rare-ish.

After all in recent SFF we have off the top of my head Hugh Howey, Michael Sullivan, David Dalglish, & Anthony Ryan, and more famously (outside SFF) the authors of 50 Shades of Grey and the Martian.  

13 hours ago, Blank said:

Rare-ish.

After all in recent SFF we have off the top of my head Hugh Howey, Michael Sullivan, David Dalglish, & Anthony Ryan, and more famously (outside SFF) the authors of 50 Shades of Grey and the Martian.  

Yeah but that's what percent of self published SFF? I'm guessing less than 0.01

1 hour ago, Darth Richard II said:

Yeah but that's what percent of self published SFF? I'm guessing less than 0.01

I think that's 0.01% of Chuck Tingle's annual output, nevermind everyone else's.

I loved it.  Just bought the second book.  Anyone else reminded a little bit of Gene Wolfe's There are Doors?  Something about the tone of the romanticism of Marya and the absurdity of the Parlors.   This was a wonderful good time. 

• 2 weeks later...

I really enjoyed this one. There are a few places where I thought an editor might have improved things, but even without one, this is a very special book and way, way ahead of 95% of the stuff out there in traditional publishing.

I bought the sequel straight away.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/21/2016 at 8:01 AM, Peadar said:

I really enjoyed this one. There are a few places where I thought an editor might have improved things, but even without one, this is a very special book and way, way ahead of 95% of the stuff out there in traditional publishing.

I bought the sequel straight away.

This. Just finished it and immediately bought the sequel. I want to continue the story.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This and the sequel were one of my favourites in 2016 after reading about it on Wert's site. Incredibly strong debut and very very different. Loved a certain character's depiction as a spoon.

Hope this does well, as it deserves recognition. Looking forward to the third book. Anybody got any ideas when?

As I posted in the monthly threads, I enjoyed both novels so far, especially the clever, contemplative prose and inventive setting, but I also got a bit tired of the YA tone and pollyannish characters.  Bancroft did really well to change focus in the second book and needs to maintain momentum.  I decided to read the third if it concludes the trilogy but not if the series is expanding beyond that. 

I'd love to see him write something less YA.  His turn of phrase is great. 

On 4/5/2017 at 11:24 AM, DaveSumm said:

Yea that's my recollection, four books. Doesn't remotely strike me as YA......but anyway.

It's not heavy on teenage angst but the simplified themes & characters and relatively genteel handling of violence and sex  make it feel YA to me.  

Four isn't too bad, but still seems a bit protracted. Both volumes to date had problems with indulging too much in a central plot that were promptly dropped. 

Archived