Football - clouds on the optimism horizon

Rorshach

1 hour ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I hope we give some game time tonight to Origi, Can, Karius, Moreno and Grujic.  Perhaps not all as starters but they need some real playing time. 

Karius and Grujic first competitive starts. Moreno and Origi also starting. No Emre but he's on the bench. 

4 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Unnamed.  There was a URL provided but I wasn't about to click that and get barraged with betting ads forever.  You can take a look on the recent articles on TIA. 

Re: 5/1 being "a little lower", the same source had them at 50/1 after the Burnley game.  That's a 90% improvement in odds after only two further games. 

Aside from my rants on betting odds, I hope we give some game time tonight to Origi, Can, Karius, Moreno and Grujic.  Perhaps not all as starters but they need some real playing time. 

I had a look, the link doesn't show the Chelsea match anymore but does have an introductory offer from Paddy Power at ridiculous odds for a Barcelona game. That 50/1 is ludicrous though.

1 hour ago, Lykos said:

EPL increasingly looks like a parade of last years Bundesliga stars. ;)

Dortmund is routing Wolfsburg, Guerreiro looks like the the signing of the season.

Strange game that one. Wolfsburg didn't play badly at all, but Dortmund were clinical and got lucky with goals one and three that stopped all the Wolfsburg momentum at an awful time. Agree with you about Guerreiro, but Castro has been on another level so far this season. Deserves a Germany recall, now there is a spot in midfield open.

Quick thoughts on Liverpool's win:

We used to look vulnerable against lower league opposition but so far this season we have looked efficient and ruthless. 

Very nice to rotate so many players and still show cohesion and quality. 

We've scored more than we've conceded from set pieces. 

We appear to have three solid CBs even before we consider Sakho, who was our best available a year ago. 

We scored against another deep defense. That's true now for our last four opponents since Burnley.  I hope we're finally learning although I'm sure there will be tougher tests. 

14 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

What happened to Everton?  The ghost of Naismith past?  Did Everton rest a lot of players?  It's not like they have that many trophies to chase this year. 

We were a bit complacent, changed a couple of players at the back, didn't take our chances and were generally frustrating to watch. 

On the other hand, Steven Naismith is a decent bloke, so fair play to him - it was a nice goal, even if he scored in the wrong goal. 

7 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Manchester derby, Liverpool/Spurs, and Chelsea/West Ham in the next round of the EFL cup. 

Great draw for TV viewers, if only they would actually televise this next round.

Also a pretty great draw for Arsenal, and Newcastle's odds just improved.

There's a lovely Mourinho hatchet job in the Mirror.

The public humiliation of Shaw was a mistake on many levels, not least because it invited the first big comparison with Ferguson. Five years ago, when City thrashed United 6-1 at Old Trafford, Ferguson called it “the worst result in my history, ever.” It was an abject humiliation which saw Roberto Mancini’s side move into a five-point lead over United, days before he celebrated 25 years in charge of United. In the post-match interview, Ferguson was invited to slaughter Jonny Evans for getting stupidly sent off with only one goal in it.

“He’s young and it was an instinctive reaction” he answered, when it would have been easy to throw the 23-year-old to the wolves.

Decent men don’t do this.

Certainly not after five league games in charge. Certainly not with a young player like Shaw who may be suffering psychologically from injuries, not through the philosophy imposed by a previous coach. The decent ones soak up the blame themselves then sort it out on the training ground.

But as we know, self-blame is not in the vocabulary of a man who views results purely on how they affect perceptions of him.

Is it too early to predict a complete breakdown in the relationship between Mou and his players? Can't imagine his disgraceful treatment of Schweini has gone down well in the dressing room.

I assumed Rooney played tonight so that he could be plausibly "rested" on Saturday.  Plus the old give-him-enough-rope-to-hang-himself worked as Rooney apparently turned in another stinker. 

This might be the first step in Mourinho getting away from Rooney being undroppable without a direct clash.  But it would be so much more entertaining for us all if it does become a huge battle of egos, fans start booing and Casillas starts a campaign on twitter to support Rooney.

Well that was embarrassing. Never expected to get close to Spurs but I at least hoped we'd have some plan. It would have been 8 or 9 if not for the ineptitude of Vincent Janssen. He is decent at holding the ball up and getting away with surreptitious elbows, but can't finish to save his life. They'll be in some trouble until Kane returns from his injury.

Archived