Football - clouds on the optimism horizon

Rorshach

18 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

It's bit disappointing that 7 of the top 8 are already the predictable names.  I thought after last season that the mid table teams would be pretty competitive again and keep it interesting, but either the top teams have really improved by a lot or else the other clubs have regressed a bit.  

I do think that on paper is translating to reality. I see 8 teams that on paper are a step ahead of the rest, that being United, City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs, Liverpool, Everton and Leicester. Leicester has started poorly but will come around IMO. The rest are all doing as good as or a little worse than I thought. 

Southampton look better after an indifferent start, but it could be poor opposition making making them look better. 

I continue to be shocked by the Hammers.  Bilic looks like Rodgers or Martinez at the moment.  I really expected more.  Perhaps they'll work on this in training, it's not like they have European games to distract them.  

1 hour ago, Calibandar said:

I do think that on paper is translating to reality. I see 8 teams that on paper are a step ahead of the rest, that being United, City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs, Liverpool, Everton and Leicester. Leicester has started poorly but will come around IMO. The rest are all doing as good as or a little worse than I thought. 

Gotta say, and not just because they beat us, that Watford look very goo as well. They've bought wisely to expand the squad and brought in a real bit of creativity in in Pereyra, and the new gaffer seems to have given players like Capoue and Deeney a new verve too. They've got a run of very winnable games coming up so I could see them firmly embedded in the top half by the time they play Liverpool in November.

15 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Seems more and more that Bilic, like Martinez, did well when he inherited a well drilled defensive unit but as time went on that defensive organisation started to fall apart.

David Sullivan is looking like a business genius when he said 6 months ago that Bilic won't get a new contract until January, when he can prove he isn't a one season wonder.

4 hours ago, Jeor said:

David Sullivan is looking like a business genius when he said 6 months ago that Bilic won't get a new contract until January, when he can prove he isn't a one season wonder.

We'll get to see just how good of a businessman he is next season when West Ham are playing in the Championship. 

So nobody has bothered to comment on Sakho basically calling Klopp a liar friday night/saturday morning on the internet. 

I doubt this is gonna end well for Sakho with regard to his Liverpool career. I am not sure who has been the bigger jackass the last few weeks. Yaya Toure and his agent for taking on Guardiola or Sakho trying to rant his way back into the team.

With regards to FIFA, I heard they are tackling poverty and famine next.

Sakho simultaneously launched and lost a PR war.  He has fallen a long way.  After great performances in the EL against Utd and Borussia, his "failed" drug test and subsequent attitude problems seem like a bizarre and unnecessary reversal in fortune.  Amazingly, the steadiness of Matip, Lovren and Klavan make it a bit of a non issue so far for the team, especially with Lucas doing a decent job as cover (apart from one assist to Vardy) and Gomez approaching fitness too.

I'm already really excited about the City/Spurs game next weekend.  Spurs is the strongest defensive opponent so far for City, and could hit test their ability to play out from defense.  The absence of KDB and Kane is tough for both but perhaps evens out, as does the midweek game for both.  I think this game will tell us a lot about both sides.

Archived