Football - clouds on the optimism horizon

Rorshach

2 minutes ago, StefCurry said:

You are right, mate. I think Southgate just wants to have more experienced players for his first matches.

I agree that is what it comes down to. Southgate has a two match audition for the job full time and given the quality of opposition everything must be perfect. So Ward or someone taking five minutes to come to terms with the level he's playing at might make all the difference for him.

Apparently it was Huw Jenkins, not the Americans, who was most impressed by Bradley. Or maybe that is what they want people to think in case it all goes wrong. The fans might get on his back quickly if they get off to a poor start - with Liverpool, Southampton, City, Chelsea and Leicester already out the way, it should be a decent run until Christmas.

12 minutes ago, Horse of Kent said:

I agree that is what it comes down to. Southgate has a two match audition for the job full time and given the quality of opposition everything must be perfect. So Ward or someone taking five minutes to come to terms with the level he's playing at might make all the difference for him.

Apparently it was Huw Jenkins, not the Americans, who was most impressed by Bradley. Or maybe that is what they want people to think in case it all goes wrong. The fans might get on his back quickly if they get off to a poor start - with Liverpool, Southampton, City, Chelsea and Leicester already out the way, it should be a decent run until Christmas.

Ok, let's see which strategy and players he will play this weekend.

The Bradley hiring is incomprehensibly risky. It may work out well, I suppose, but it's a pretty big step up from Ligue 2, and his club management experience is all at pretty low levels (says a MLS fan).  He'd better start well, too.  The fans might've let Giggs have a few bad results, but a Yank...? Risky.  Very, very risky. 

Johnson was crap even at his peak - a defensive liability that was in no way compensated for by his offensive prowess.

He is one of the few players I was ecstatic to see leave Liverpool.

Johnson's recall didn't last long with the player having to withdraw due to injury and being replaced by Michael Keane. Although Keane has done really well this season, it is still a strange call as it leaves Walker as the only recognised RB. Adam Smith, Joel Ward or even Kyle Naughton would have been better options as 3rd choice RB. Malta and Slovenia aren't exactly tough opposition so giving one of these players an opportunity isn't as big a risk (as well as building a bit more depth in the right back position). Besides that, for players playing regularly in a top league, international football is no longer a step up.

I'm glad the 'proper football men' didn't get their way and Bradley was hired over Giggs. Theres been a big outcry from the likes of Robbie Savage about it, about how British managers don't get a chance, which is utter hogwash actually (Tim Sherwood), and about how Giggs knows the premier league! Giggs has never managed a team apart from being a caretaker for a small amount of time. Being a good player doesn't make you a good manager. Hopefully people who run football clubs understand that now.

No idea if Bradley will do well however, hes not really worked at a very high level so far, but I'm glad hes gotten a chance. 

Bradley represents professional coaching over former players with more name recognition than coaching experience or aptitude, similar to Klopp, Mou, Poch, Wenger and, of course, Fergie.  Pep, Conte and Koeman are the only successful counterexamples in the PL I can think of right now, and notably all three developed their coaching in other countries with better technical play.  

I don't know if Bradley is the right choice, especially with a big step up, but it's better than the cadre of former Utd players like Bruce, Hughes, Keane, Neville, Giggs and their close cousins like Sherwood, Shearer, etc glad handing their way on the back of media support.  

Poch had a good playing career too, but like Koeman and Guardiola with Cruyff, spent a good amount of time under Bielsa. Maybe it is the philosophical and tactically innovative managers that inspire their players more than the purely successful ones.

To be fair to Giggs, he was also an assistant to both Moyes and van Gaal. 

How that didn't land him a job, I have no idea.

ETA:

Might as well say something about Bradley while I'm at it. Firstly, I think Guidolin should have gotten more time. I think just about everyone here is in agreement over that point, but it bears repeating. It seems, however, that short-term managers are ever more in vouge than they've ever been. I'm blaming the tv deal.

I remember USA looked okay under Bradley. A good team unit. They didn't have much star power (and they still don't), but he seemed to get them working together as a team. Certainly a plus. What he did in Norway also registered, because duh! I live here. The job he did at Stabæk was impressive. That team was considered relegation fodder, but he managed to get them fighting for the title. It didn't last all the way - partly because the winning team was too strong, and partly because the one good striker they had - Adama Diomande - was sold to Hull. However, that Stabæk was in that end of the table was a testament to a well done job. 

Now, how good does that make him? Well, in Norway Ronny Deila was a great manager. It is, of course, possible that Deila struggled with a change of culture, language and expectations, and that he still is plenty ok, and it is also possible that Bradley will be able to take the step up more effortlessly - but it is certain that a good manager i Norway does not a good manager in the PL make. (Roy Hodgson could also be named, but he was less successful in Norway than both Deila and Bradley.)

15 minutes ago, Rorshach said:

but it is certain that a good manager i Norway does not a good manager in the PL make. (Roy Hodgson could also be named

And Ole. Mind, it's also true that a bad season at a bad Cardiff under an utter nutter doesn't a bad manager make, but it wasn't a good look for him.

1 minute ago, polishgenius said:

And Ole. Mind, it's also true that a bad season at a bad Cardiff under an utter nutter doesn't a bad manager make, but it wasn't a good look for him.

True. Forgot about him for a minute there. 

Serbia beat the powerhouse that is Moldova 3-0 away. Kostić, Ivanović and Tadić scored goals and a clean sheet could confuse someone that our defense was solid when in reality our team allowed 10+ attempts on goal against a 160-something ranked opponent.

Archived