Football - clouds on the optimism horizon

Rorshach

13 minutes ago, Horse of Kent said:

The second yellow was justified, but the first wasn't a dive. It wasn't a penalty either in my opinion.

Zaha actually ducked down into Cresswell's hand so that it would hit his face. But I don't care about that or anything right now except that we finally bloody won a game. 

I almost didn't get to watch any football today (just the end of the Palace - West Ham game), owing to celebrating my father's birthday at an Ethiopian restaurant. Which, as it happens (both the birthday and the restaurant) does take presedence over football. It is known.

Reading on the internet afterwards tells me that I may indeed have been misjudging Maarten Stekelenburg before this season. I saw him as our new backup, and awaited the coming no. 1. Instead, Stekelenburg has been solid so far, and seemingly spectacular today. I am indeed pleased. 

4 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Great round of fixtures for Arsenal.  They hung on to win while City and Spurs dropped points and they know Liverpool and Utd can't both win. 

Agreed. Arsenal played pretty well too but made just enough mistakes to allow Swansea to stay in it. Walcott should have had 5 goals today.

18 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Agreed. Arsenal played pretty well too but made just enough mistakes to allow Swansea to stay in it. Walcott should have had 5 goals today.

Think Lucas will play midweek? Alexis did okay, but I'd love for him to get a break. We will probably see Gabriel and Gibbs come in. And probably Elneny. 

Just now, Raja said:

Think Lucas will play midweek? Alexis did okay, but I'd love for him to get a break. We will probably see Gabriel and Gibbs come in. And probably Elneny. 

Probably not but he should. Agreed that Alexis needs a break. 

7 minutes ago, Raja said:

I don't see him changing the team too much - maybe 3 changes at the maximum. I just want to see more of Lucas. 

Me too. He needs to play enough that when we need him, he'll perform. One game out of every 5-7 makes it hard.

2 hours ago, Rorshach said:

Reading on the internet afterwards tells me that I may indeed have been misjudging Maarten Stekelenburg before this season. I saw him as our new backup, and awaited the coming no. 1. Instead, Stekelenburg has been solid so far, and seemingly spectacular today. I am indeed pleased. 

He was exceptional. The save from De Bruyne's strike from distance was incredible. The penalties were awful though, far too easy for him! Aguero never used to miss. I prefer players to pick a spot and hit it.

Also, credit to Koeman's tactics. The defensive organisation was superb.

Frustrating game for me but I really enjoy watching Pep's football.

Harsh red for Xhaka, more goals for Allen and Nadli -- both playing with something to prove, and  perhaps found their level -- clinical from Lukaku and great by Stekelenburg but wasteful by City, surprisingly wasteful by Benteke after recent form, utterly hapless Hull.  

The late game today and the game tomorrow combine for strange picks for broadcast.  I know the early Saturday and Monday games are the big broadcast events this week, but odd choices for the other slots unless they have to fit in a certain number of games by all clubs. 

Liverpool have just had a lot of fixtures around Christmas moved for TV broadcast. 8 of their 10 PL games in December-January will now be broadcast in the UK, but the team will have to cope with some shonky scheduling and short recovery periods. 

25 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Liverpool have just had a lot of fixtures around Christmas moved for TV broadcast. 8 of their 10 PL games in December-January will now be broadcast in the UK, but the team will have to cope with some shonky scheduling and short recovery periods. 

I notice the Liverpool-City game is on at 5:30pm on New Years Eve. Absolutely terrible scheduling for all supporters going to the game.

18 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Harsh red for Xhaka, more goals for Allen and Nadli -- both playing with something to prove, and  perhaps found their level -- clinical from Lukaku and great by Stekelenburg but wasteful by City, surprisingly wasteful by Benteke after recent form, utterly hapless Hull.   

What's even more harsh is it's a 3 game suspension rather than a single game that he would have gotten if he was denying a clear goal scoring opportunity. Really sucks.

Stekelenburg certainly made up for the mistake that led Holland to lose to France on Monday. A little late dude, but good to see you're getting back to your old level. 

Otherwise, looking forward to watching Liverpool vs United when I come home from work tomorrow.

Archived