Football - clouds on the optimism horizon

Rorshach

..five games in. Almost. We do need a new thread, though.

ETA: We win again. Looking solid so far, which is - after the last couple of years - really pleasing. We didn't let Boro have a sniff at goal in the second half (and they didn't have a shot on goal in the first half..), looking all the way like our organization was solid. Gueye is a massive player for us so far, fast, tenacious and very gifted at winning the ball. He uses the ball well also. Barry can run less and rely more on positioning, which he does well. He's also scored twice this season - now, that's nuts. Bolasie adds power, pace and unpredictability on the flanks. Barkley looked good today - that I really liked. A good response to the hauling off at half time last time around. Lots of positives. I'm afraid I'm going to become optimistic.

Gueye looks like an absolute steal. He was statistically the second best DM last season (and only a bit behind Kante) but it was kind of hard to tell how well he was really playing coz of how shit they were as a team. But it seems the answer is, in fact, that he was playing rather well.

It was a great occasion for Barry and he played and is playing well but surely you lot are  going to have to think about bringing a younger guy through at some stage quite soon? Fact is that no matter how much he offers you in coolness and experience, he's physically at the stage where you, especially with the money you can offer and Koeman's burgeoning reputation, should be able to bring in someone younger who can offer the same calm presence without needing to factor the protection he needs into the equation.

Comfortable for Everton. 'Boro never really threatened at all (the goal should have been ruled out, imo). Pretty impressed with Everton - the defence looks solid, they are playing an attractive brand of football and the goals are starting to flow. Everton have had a relatively easy start but you can only play what's in front of you. They should pick up maximum points until the big test against City.

Re: our game tomorrow. I'm pretty worried, tbh. Before the international break we were playing with alot of enthusiasm and attacking intent, even though the cohesion was not always up to scratch. Since then it seems we have just fallen flat. I hope we can pull our shit together because several teams around us have kicked it up a gear.

It's too early to tell yet who can sustain early form but Everton and Liverpool look much more competitive than last season. City, Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal were the consensus picks for top 4, but Spurs, 'Pool and Everton, while lacking consistency or as many star players, could cause problems for any of the favorites who fall short of expectations. 

The big disappointment is that we don't really have an outsider gate crashing the party yet.  Hull have done much better than expected but I doubt they'll match Leicester, West Ham or even Watford's early form from last season.

10 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

It was a great occasion for Barry and he played and is playing well but surely you lot are  going to have to think about bringing a younger guy through at some stage quite soon? Fact is that no matter how much he offers you in coolness and experience, he's physically at the stage where you, especially with the money you can offer and Koeman's burgeoning reputation, should be able to bring in someone younger who can offer the same calm presence without needing to factor the protection he needs into the equation.

I hope we do.

If you search the old football threads, I imagine you'll find hard evidence of me writing Barry off the last couple of years. When the team loses its shape, and he has to run, he doesn't look good. At all. So we need a replacement. 

Alternatives already present includes McCarthy (who, I believe, is not enough of a game manager, and quite possibly to similar to Gueye), who is injured, and Besic, who is also injured. Martinez, last season, spoke about Baines as a DM kind of player, which I think could work - but then we'd need a good left back - basically we'd just shift the problem. Tom Davies, who got his debut last year, and is still only 17 (I think, might have turned 18) may be a solution. He's looked good when he has played. If he's the sort of positional game manager that Barry is, is another question. We'll just have to wait and see.

Ah, what is wrong with West Ham?

Bilic inherited a team last season who were very well drilled in defending, and our best football (and results) came in the first half of the season when we were fast, physical, hard to break down and frightening on the counter.

As the season went on, teams stopped playing so high against us and we started playing with more possession and further up the pitch. It wasn't really wildly successful, and our results were mostly just okay in the second half of the season.  

Bilic also seemed to have soured on some players towards the end of the season.  He fell out with Sakho (who, despite poor form and injuries, was our best forward last season) and, seemingly, James Tomkins, who I thought was very good both in the middle and on the right of our defense (he played right back in the awesome away wins against Arsenal, Liverpool and City).  Instead, Bilic played Antonio at right back, even though he was no good at it.

This season, our defense has been woeful.  Masuaku had a terrible game today, and it was Byram last week.  Rock steady Winston Reid has looked a bit confused, James Collins is too slow, and, perhaps most significantly, Kouyate is having a really poor run of form to start the season. He doesn't even look the same player.  He used to be a terrifying presence in that area just in front of our back line, a great ball-winner and someone who could (and would) dribble the ball upfield.  No sign of that dynamism these days, though. 

Hopefully, Bilic can take care of this quickly. I know it's early season, but a bad run of form could be disastrous in such a competitive league. 

12 minutes ago, Nas! said:

Ah, what is wrong with West Ham?

Bilic inherited a team last season who were very well drilled in defending, and our best football (and results) came in the first half of the season when we were fast, physical, hard to break down and frightening on the counter.

As the season went on, teams stopped playing so high against us and we started playing with more possession and further up the pitch. It wasn't really wildly successful, and our results were mostly just okay in the second half of the season.  

Bilic also seemed to have soured on some players towards the end of the season.  He fell out with Sakho (who, despite poor form and injuries, was our best forward last season) and, seemingly, James Tomkins, who I thought was very good both in the middle and on the right of our defense (he played right back in the awesome away wins against Arsenal, Liverpool and City).  Instead, Bilic played Antonio at right back, even though he was no good at it.

This season, our defense has been woeful.  Masuaku had a terrible game today, and it was Byram last week.  Rock steady Winston Reid has looked a bit confused, James Collins is too slow, and, perhaps most significantly, Kouyate is having a really poor run of form to start the season. He doesn't even look the same player.  He used to be a terrifying presence in that area just in front of our back line, a great ball-winner and someone who could (and would) dribble the ball upfield.  No sign of that dynamism these days, though. 

Hopefully, Bilic can take care of this quickly. I know it's early season, but a bad run of form could be disastrous in such a competitive league. 

I largely agree with you. You can hardly blame Reid for looking confused in a defence with two very average full backs and a past it partner at centre back. As for Kouyate, it was clear at the Watford game that he did not have the space to drive into like he used to with such a talented attacking four ahead of him. Opponents no longer leave the spaces that he thrives upon and if they do, those spaces will already be occupied by one of Lanzini, Payet, Antonio or Zaza. You don't have the central midfield required now that the team is expected to dominate most games - even at West Ham's peak at the beginning of last season they gave too many points away against lesser opposition - and a defence that is fragile when hit on the counter attack. 

It looks like Bilic might prove to be a bit of a Roberto - when he had the solid work of a defensive manager to build on he looked great, but can't keep it together.

For your sakes, hope not, but if this form continues I don't think the owners are going to hang about, there's too much at stake with the new stadium and all.

1 hour ago, Nas! said:

Last week none of the four Watford goals came through Reid's side of defense, all four came through Collins' side ...

... so of course this week Bilic puts Reid on the bench and Collins on the pitch.

Bonkers.

Seemed a pretty clear foul in the lead up to the goal. Just because Britos gets a faint touch first, does not justify him clattering through Martial. And although he was not to know, sending a concussed player flying like that could have been pretty dangerous. Still think De Gea should have done better with Capoue's shot. He's not had the best of halves given the mix up with Smalling.

Archived