Explosion in New York

Fragile Bird

This follows an earlier explosion on the course of a race intended to benefit veterans in New Jersey. Fortunately, the race was delayed so there were few people in the area and nobody was hurt. Most of the nightly news in the New York - New Jersey - Connecticut area was about these two events. They keep saying that there is no evidence of terrorism yet, but I'm not sure what else multiple intentional explosions in public areas would be.

Just now, Kelli Fury said:

Likely unrelated but there was a stabbing of at least 8 people in a mall in the city I work in tonight.

I heard Clinton saying something about an attack in Minnesota, but I hadn't heard what it was.  Did they catch the person?  Shoot him?

Also explosions in Syria in the headlines. According to a British watchgroup, at least 80 Syrian forces killed by a U.S. led bombing raid. Russia is accusing the U.S. of terrorism and supporting ISIS. The U.S. Is describing the bombings as a case of mistaken identity. https://www.yahoo.com/news/syria-truce-not-hold-says-senior-rebel-source-084002640.html

10 hours ago, Altherion said:

This follows an earlier explosion on the course of a race intended to benefit veterans in New Jersey. Fortunately, the race was delayed so there were few people in the area and nobody was hurt. Most of the nightly news in the New York - New Jersey - Connecticut area was about these two events. They keep saying that there is no evidence of terrorism yet, but I'm not sure what else multiple intentional explosions in public areas would be.

On the one hand, yes terrorism. On the other hand, terrorism or terrorist act is synonymous with muslim/brown people without any actual information, so it behooves information providers to choose words carefully in the early-goings. 

Well, at least the Minnesota stabbings stabbings have been claimed by ISIS which is not surprising given that

The man apparently made reference to Allah during the attack and asked at least one of the people who was injured whether they were Muslim before assaulting them at the Crossroads Center mall in St. Cloud, around 60 miles from Minneapolis-St. Paul.

Fortunately, all of these attackers seem pretty inept. In New York, the governor decided to step in and state the obvious:

"A bomb exploding in New York is obviously an act of terrorism," Gov. Andrew Cuomo told reporters Sunday, vowing that authorities will catch whoever is responsible.

Depends what people mean by terrorism I guess. These days terrorism = Muslim extremists. But if you go with the actual meaning of the word it's hard to consider this to be not an act of terrorism. The only question is the motive for it.

Edit: Capital M for Muslim of course.

Well, they've been investigating all day and several streets and train stations in Manhattan are still closed. Even if it turns out that none of the injuries were serious, they've still succeeded in disrupting the lives of many people as well as consuming considerable law enforcement resources. In some sense Saturday was perhaps the best day for this to happen as closing things on Sunday is not as disruptive -- had it been a weekday, there would have been complete and utter chaos.

Also, they still haven't announced any leads on either the New York and New Jersey explosions (although it seems some people are in custody). Nobody is going to claim responsibility for this -- it would make it easier to track down the perpetrators and as long as the latter are on the loose, they can do more harm.

4 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

So..,5 more explosive devices were found late Sunday night near a New Jersey train stop.

it seems to me the saving grace has been the inexperience of the bomb maker.

They were found I'm Elizabeth, which is relatively close to where I live. 

It seems the lead suspect was picked up in Linden, New Jersey after a shootout with the police. I was just in Linden two hours ago. 

Yes, they've caught the guy seen in the videos:

Ahmad Khan Rahami, the man suspected in bombings in New York and New Jersey, is now in custody after a shootout with police, sources said.
The shootout happened Monday in Linden, New Jersey, a local and federal law enforcement official said. Rahami was taken to an ambulance in a stretcher with his right shoulder bloodied and bandaged.
The FBI described Rahami as a naturalized U.S. citizen of Afghan descent

So basically the same type of person as most of those who commit such acts in Europe: he already has citizenship so it's very hard to stop him before he acts. Fortunately, in this case he was so inept and so unlucky that nobody died.

Archived