NFL 2016 Week 2: extending the mustache ride in LA

DanteGabriel

1 hour ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Jaime is Bill Barnwell. Or is that Dante?

If memory serves, Jaime fucking haaaates Barnwell, or used to. Possibly it was another board member, but I remember when Grantland hired him from FO, someone on the board who was very familiar with FO completely panned him.

ETA: I went and looked this post up because I'm a weirdo, and man, it wasn't just JL. It was everyone. Complete Player Hater's Ball shit on Barnwell. Kinda great.

29 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Jaime is Bill Barnwell. Or is that Dante?

You've made a powerful enemy this day. 

7 minutes ago, BLU-RAY said:

If memory serves, Jaime fucking haaaates Barnwell, or used to. Possibly it was another board member, but I remember when Grantland hired him from FO, someone on the board who was very familiar with FO completely panned him.

This is correct. He was the only Grantland analyst who sucked at his job. Way too much lazy, inspid analysis. But in fairness he has gotten better as of late. 

16 minutes ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

3 career first quarter TDs I believe...

Yeah heard that stat from Mays. Considering he's started 30 games, that is fucking terrible. 

6 hours ago, BLU-RAY said:

ETA: I went and looked this post up because I'm a weirdo, and man, it wasn't just JL. It was everyone. Complete Player Hater's Ball shit on Barnwell. Kinda great.

I listened to the grantland podcast exclusively for Mays, every time Barnwell opened his mouth I wanted to rip the speakers out of my computer.

21 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

Niners kill Rams, Rams beat Seahawks...Seahawks will kill Niners. What a weird dynamic...though really I'm amazed the Niners beat anyone.

We have a similar dynamic in the AFC North. Steelers always beat Bengals, Ravens always beat Steelers, Bengals beat Ravens. 

So, I have more to discuss on this ... this ... terrible week of football, but before I do, I wan to discuss the Pats' Week 2 Domination of Miami, secretly, one of the worst teams in the NFL.  I mean, besides the Bills who- and this will make you laugh - the Bills who are 9th worst in passing D this season and absolutely mediocre in rush D (dead center at 16) fired their... offensive coordinator this week.  I didn't know the OFFENSIVE coordinator gave up 50 points in two weeks!  That's amazing!  That guy has talent; I can't believe they let him go.  

Rex Ryan fucking blows; been saying it for years.  Anyway . . . 

The Pats were able to both stave off Miami after essentially dominating them for a half, with Jimmy G going 3 TDs on his first three drives before he had a brick wall land on him (hit looked clean to me, btw). And the Pats brought in "the-next-man-up-after-the-next-man-up" Jacoby Brisett who played ... well, actually.  He played fine- ~100 yards passing, 0 INTs, no horrible mistakes (there was a fumble), and kept the Pats around long enough to make Ryan Tannahil pee himself and throw the late-game pick. Great win against a terrible opponent who the Pats need to beat, in the Conf and Div.  

Now, with all that said ... and I know this is classic "white-people-problems" but ... I feel bad for Garropolo.  This was his audition to the NFL - play 4 games, throw 2x as many TDs as INTs, put up a bunch of yards and try to go 3-1.  If he does that, a stream of teams line up at his door waiting to throw him money and the Pats draft picks.  This was his time and he was EMBRACING IT!  Sop what happens?  A fat guy lands on him.  OH WELL!!!!  Sorry buddy!  You were slatted to make a trillion dollars over the next 15 seasons, but now, well... MAYBE we can get you as a backup somewhere.  

Think about it.  Here are some numbers for you:

$61,000,000.00.  

$7,500,000.00

$12,500,000.00

$2,500,000.00. 

What are these numbers?  Well, they are, respectively, the lifetime earnings of Matt Cassel, Ryan Mallet, Brian Hoyer and Jimmy G, Tom Brady's most recent 4 back-up QBs.  And AT LEAST three of them are fucking terrible.  Cassel had no business making $65.92 playing in the NFL much less $61 Mill.  And I would expect Ryan Mallet to PAY ME to watch him play QB.  But after these men left the Pats they GOT PAID!  A LOT!  And why?  Because finding a competent QB in this day and age is akin to dousing for water with those sticks.  And sometimes the BEST you can do is "Find a Guy Who Played Near Tom Brady Physically so that MAYBE He Will Play Near Tom Brady in Actuality."

And that does not work.  

But Jimmy G has made

By Contrast, Jimmy G has made next to nothing.  This was his time to play well, get wildly over-rated and then ridiculously overpaid.

Instead?  Injured.  Sit out next two to 5 games.  Then sit behind Brady and hope the ... I don't know... lets say ... lets say ... the Jags call you in two seasons.  

I legit feel for the guy.   

1 hour ago, Nictarion said:

@Mexal

https://vine.co/u/958239988380794880

Worst. Officiating. Ever! 

The one where Michael Johnson is put in a choke hold is particularly egregious. :bang:

Yeah it's a missed holding call. Doesn't change the fact that your two biggest offensive playmakers didn't show up.  Why does this always gotta turn into a monday morning qb reffing dissection?  

Just now, l2 0 5 5 said:

Yeah it's a missed holding call. Doesn't change the fact that your two biggest offensive playmakers didn't show up.  Why does this always gotta turn into a monday morning qb reffing dissection?  

If it was just 1 or 2 missed holds, that's fine, but it wasn't. It was all game long. Some of them pretty flagrant. Add the "fumble", and the Uzomah non-TD (our booth got that one wrong too unfortunately), and it becomes a lot to overcome. 

The Bengals didn't play well for most of the game  (neither did the Steelers), but they should have had a chance at the end. Pete Morelli is one of the worst officials in the league. And he continues to prove it. 

Archived