NFL 2016 Week 2: extending the mustache ride in LA

DanteGabriel

Eagles fan here.

I had the Eagles as a 9-7 team at best with Bradford, so I wasn't worried about ushering in the Carson Wentz era a year early, and getting a first round pick in the bargain. I figured rookie QB growing pains and the team isn't all the way baked yet, and Doug Pederson does not look like he's quite got Belichek's intellect, so the Eagles take a 4-12 or 5-11 season on the chin and see what we've got for 2017.

Now, two weeks in, the Redskins do not look good, and the Eagles are probably about as talented as the Romo-less Cowboys and the slightly better on D Giants. I don't think the Eagles are playoff-caliber, but an 8-8 season with a rookie QB at the helm? I can get behind that, heck that's about what I expected before Bradford was traded.

Not quite "woo hoo", but certainly hope for the future. Here's a question though... Would you take that 9-7 season, and a probable first round playoff exit with a QB you knew you would be dumping after the season, or a lesser campaign with the promise of future returns?

23 minutes ago, Joe Pesci said:

Best criticism of Cutler I've seen was today by Stephen A Smith calling him a "football abomination".

I hate Stephen A, but I have to agree. Last night after his fumble, it was pretty apparent that there was something wrong with his hand. Back on the bench he waved off the medical staff and wouldn't let them look at his hand. The next series the Bears ran like 5-6 running plays in a row and were moving the ball until they came up on like a 3 and 4. Cutler promptly through the ball at a receivers feet, and they had to punt. Next series he threw a pick. The guy is a cancer. 

3 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

I don't even know what "football abomination" is supposed to mean. If someone said that Rams-Seahawks game had been a football abomination, I'd just nod along. But what about Cutler is abominable?

Throwing his teammates under the bus (ala Manning and Brady, but without the pedigree to back it up), yelling at teammates on the field, and just the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. 

Abomination is a bit much, I suppose. Frustrating as all hell considering his talent, perhaps?

13 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Throwing his teammates under the bus (ala Manning and Brady, but without the pedigree to back it up), yelling at teammates on the field, and just the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. 

Abomination is a bit much, I suppose. Frustrating as all hell considering his talent, perhaps?

But how talented is he?  I mean, he is widely considered to be a pretty middling starter - better the some, but obviously worse than the best.  Middling quarterbacks are always frustrating, whether they are erratic (Cousins), conservative (A. Smith) or turnover prone (Cutler).  I'm not surprised that he makes Bears fans want to scream, although I don't really know why anyone else would particularly care.  I feel like he's just a quarterback who isn't quite good enough to be good. 

21 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

:lol: 

:thumbsup: Always a good time for an Austin Powers reference.

1 minute ago, Maithanet said:

But how talented is he?  I mean, he is widely considered to be a pretty middling starter - better the some, but obviously worse than the best.  Middling quarterbacks are always frustrating, whether they are erratic (Cousins), conservative (A. Smith) or turnover prone (Cutler).  I'm not surprised that he makes Bears fans want to scream, although I don't really know why anyone else would particularly care.  I feel like he's just a quarterback who isn't quite good enough to be good. 

Yeah, I think that's mostly fair, but I think he gets kind of a special asterisk. Like the example I provided from last night. Let the fucking medical staff look at your fucking hand. Those next 2 series might have cost them the game. 

That said, I think you're like 95% right although I'd say I think he's more physically talented than the 2 QBs you compared him to. 

I guess it's mostly his face for me. He just has that perma-hangdog look that makes me want to slap him in the chops.  

2 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

It's been said more than once that he has one of the best arms in the NFL. In college he was also known for being quite mobile although that never translated to his pro game.

Certainly, as a quarterback (with all the physical and mental demands that entails), he's never been better than mediocre.

9 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Yeah, I think that's mostly fair, but I think he gets kind of a special asterisk. Like the example I provided from last night. Let the fucking medical staff look at your fucking hand. Those next 2 series might have cost them the game. 

That said, I think you're like 95% right although I'd say I think he's more physically talented than the 2 QBs you compared him to.

Alex Smith was the #1 overall pick, he is a very physically talented quarterback.  Cutler has a great arm, but so did Jamarcus Russell and his Chicago predecessor Sexy Rexy. 

7 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

The last time he came out of a game you'd have thought he killed the pope. Can you blame him for trying to tough it out?

That's a good point.  There's a good chance that criticism for getting injured in the NFCCG back in 2010 is still messing with him. 

Lots of guys try and push through injuries, and if he felt like he could still throw, it isn't surprising he wouldn't want the trainers messing with his hand.  Yes, this turned out to be the wrong call, but guys do it all the time. 

39 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Eh, fair enough. The "abomination" insult just seemed to say a lot without saying anything at all, which I guess fits for Stephen A. Smith.

9 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Eh, fair enough. The "abomination" insult just seemed to say a lot without saying anything at all, which I guess fits for Stephen A. Smith.

Yeah, I agree with you there. I'm not one for giving Stephen A any kind of credit. Abomination was a poor choice of word there.

1 hour ago, DanteGabriel said:

I don't even know what "football abomination" is supposed to mean. If someone said that Rams-Seahawks game had been a football abomination, I'd just nod along. But what about Cutler is abominable?

I couldn't tell you what he said afterwards tbh because I changed the channel. That's what was coming out of his mouth when I turned the channel on and found it funny due to all the shit Cutler is catching. I don't personally care for Smith and his overblown persona and opinions, but Cutler is the prime example of what it is to be an average qb making elite qb money. Maybe that's what the abomination is?

1 hour ago, Quijote Light said:

Smith is a moronic, bloviating asshat. Describing anything he says as "the best" is sad. 

I agree on Smith, but I can do without your condescension. I can think it's the best if I damn well please.

20 minutes ago, Joe Pesci said:

I couldn't tell you what he said afterwards tbh because I changed the channel. That's what was coming out of his mouth when I turned the channel on and found it funny due to all the shit Cutler is catching. I don't personally care for Smith and his overblown persona and opinions, but Cutler is the prime example of what it is to be an average qb making elite qb money. Maybe that's what the abomination is?

I agree on Smith, but I can do without your condescension. I can think it's the best if I damn well please.

No condescension intended. If you had said funny, like you do in this post, I wouldn't have had a problem with it. But even the faintest praise for that jackass is too much. In my opinion. 

I don't think Cutler is an average QB who makes elite money. That's Osweiler or Bradford. I think Cutler's a QB who could and should be great but keeps tripping over his own droopy lip.

I wonder, though: in the continuing descent of Jay Cutler's reputation, does Josh McDaniels get any vindication for dealing him out of Denver?

10 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

I wonder, though: in the continuing descent of Jay Cutler's reputation, does Josh McDaniels get any vindication for dealing him out of Denver?

Well, with Cutler the Broncos would never have been so bad they could have drafted Von Miller #2 overall, and likewise Peyton Manning wouldn't have chosen to go there if Cutler were in place.  But I don't see why we would give McDaniels credit for that incredible good fortune.  The team got worse because of his moves at quarterback, and only got better once he was gone.  Sounds like incompetence to me. 

Archived