NFL 2016 Week 2: extending the mustache ride in LA

DanteGabriel

1 hour ago, Triskan said:

Why is it all of the sudden a thing that Green Bay is struggling? 

Rock - I'm pretty sure that game was in J'Ville.

So they're 1-1 with two road games, and @ Minnesota is a fearsome game. 

I suspect Aaron Rodgers is declining from a physical perspective. Of all the elite QBs of the last decade, he was the one who was most reliant on his physical skills. A couple of years back I had written about how an elite QB needs to get an A average from both physical and mental point of view. PFM circa 2009 was A- Physically and A+ mentally and was obviously an elite QB. Jay Cutler is A+ Physically and C mentally and hence an average QB. Rodgers was an A+ physically and a B/B+ cerebrally in my rating. I had predicted that his game would not age well. You may be seeing the onset of that. In the last 16 games, his raw stat is downright Cutleresque: 

335 of 595 (for the "season") which translates to 56.3% completion. Total Yardage: 3708 (232 YPG). 6.2 YPA. 27 TD, 8 INT with a rating of 85.7. The only  stat that is vintage Rodgers is the low INT number. But he has always been averse to risk taking unless it happens to be an end of the game hail Mary. 

ETA: I do understand that Nelson did not play last year. But the stats are still pretty awful compared to what we typically see from Rodgers.

8 hours ago, trickster said:

I suspect Aaron Rodgers is declining from a physical perspective. Of all the elite QBs of the last decade, he was the one who was most reliant on his physical skills. A couple of years back I had written about how an elite QB needs to get an A average from both physical and mental point of view. PFM circa 2009 was A- Physically and A+ mentally and was obviously an elite QB. Jay Cutler is A+ Physically and C mentally and hence an average QB. Rodgers was an A+ physically and a B/B+ cerebrally in my rating. I had predicted that his game would not age well. You may be seeing the onset of that. In the last 16 games, his raw stat is downright Cutleresque: 

335 of 595 (for the "season") which translates to 56.3% completion. Total Yardage: 3708 (232 YPG). 6.2 YPA. 27 TD, 8 INT with a rating of 85.7. The only  stat that is vintage Rodgers is the low INT number. But he has always been averse to risk taking unless it happens to be an end of the game hail Mary. 

ETA: I do understand that Nelson did not play last year. But the stats are still pretty awful compared to what we typically see from Rodgers.

Maybe, but Rodgers is only 32. Seems like he should still be at the tail end of his physical prime as a QB. And some of his throws, like the TD pass 20 yards downfield with guys draped all over him in week one, are still seemingly things only he can do. Danny Kelly's arguing it's a combination of things from Rodgers being sloppy with his mechanics, to his WRs not getting open (which is undeniably true), to McCarthy not engineering an offense that helps WRs get open (through rub routes/trips) etc. 

But yeah, whatever the reason behind it, a 6.2 YPA for an entire year is hideous. This used to be the most effortless offense in the NFL and now it's like pulling teeth watching them try to engineer a drive. 

1 hour ago, Jaime L said:

Maybe, but Rodgers is only 32. Seems like he should still be at the tail end of his physical prime as a QB.

And don't forget we're looking at a small sample size thus far.  Two games, both on the road against one good defense in Minnesota and one talented but young defense in Jacksonville.  He has plenty of games against bad defenses coming up that will probably help that Y/A improve.

12 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

So Peterson and Abdullah are both on IR and Martin is out for at least 3 weeks. Good thing I have all 3 of them...........

On my dynasty league I am currently without Keenan Allen, Donte Moncrief, and Doug Martin.  That's like three of my first five or six picks.  Been a rough start.  At least it's dynasty, I guess.

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

And don't forget we're looking at a small sample size thus far.  Two games, both on the road against one good defense in Minnesota and one talented but young defense in Jacksonville.  He has plenty of games against bad defenses coming up that will probably help that Y/A improve.

The thing is Rodgers' playing has been sub par for almost a year. My 16 games stretch includes last 12 regular season games from last season,2 ensuing playoff games and 2 games from this season. That is a decent sample size. 

3 hours ago, Jaime L said:

Maybe, but Rodgers is only 32. Seems like he should still be at the tail end of his physical prime as a QB. And some of his throws, like the TD pass 20 yards downfield with guys draped all over him in week one, are still seemingly things only he can do. Danny Kelly's arguing it's a combination of things from Rodgers being sloppy with his mechanics, to his WRs not getting open (which is undeniably true), to McCarthy not engineering an offense that helps WRs get open (through rub routes/trips) etc. 

But yeah, whatever the reason behind it, a 6.2 YPA for an entire year is hideous. This used to be the most effortless offense in the NFL and now it's like pulling teeth watching them try to engineer a drive. 

His reliance on physical tools has contributed to this. He has not developed the mental side of things as much. Even if he has declined ever so slightly physically he has not done enough to compensate. Think how PFM played the last few years with his noodle arm. He was not the same player physically in 2013 or 2014 compared to his 2005 self. But he was smart enough to adjust. Rodgers may need to slightly recalibrate his game. And his receivers have not been healthy. And Mike McCarthy....So yes, it is a combination of things. But some of this is on Rodgers imo.

19 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I really, really want to pick the Texans in that one, but I can't. 3rd string QB, on the road, against a formidable defense, and I can't fucking pick against them. It's fucking insane.

I think it was 4 or 5 seasons ago where the Pats played the Bears @ Chicago and they played in a blizzard.  Brady STILL passed for ike 400 yards and 2 TDs (no surprise, Cutler threw for 2 picks and a QB rating close to his number).  And it prompted Jaime L. to say something to the effect of "Even the rules of nature no longer apply to the Pats."  Yeah.. .its kinda like that ... 

19 hours ago, SkynJay said:

With Manning gone I no longer can expect a bit of Broncos hate in Rock's rants? 

This actually makes me quite sad.  Can't you at least bring up Von getting hit for pot a few years back or something?  Hell our QB has 1 TD to 3 picks and is still possible the class of the AFC West.  We NEED your hate!

As far as the Broncos themselves, the problem is that, for starters, the Broncos won.  Its hard to pee on a Team that wins.  I know, that didn't stop me from pooping on the Steelers, but that's because I think the Steelers are overrated, so them winning feeds into that.  My problem with the Broncos is that, well, I kind of don't have a problem with the Broncos.  Okay, fine, a few seasons back they got caught in "Spygate II: The Reckoning" and they allowed Peyton Manning to do every steroid imaginable until Al Jazeera got wise to it, but I actually like John Elway and I like the organization.  

Oh, and von Miller didn't get pinched for weed; he got suspended for trying to cheat the test itself. So, yeah, he's a cheating cheater who cheats.  Thankfully, he didn't fuck with any psi so its all good.  

19 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Have my Colts truly fallen so far as to not even merit disgust?

Let me just say this: I fucking hate ALL your teams, not just the ones I mention. They all suck and I hate them, the players, the fans and all the families involved in every organization. If there is one truth here is that YOU REALLY CAN TAKE MY HATE FOR GRANTED!

The Colts... meh?  I mean, how many times can I write "Andrew Luck kinda sucks without other players on the team" before it gets boring?  I also kinda like Luck (even though he's what would happen if an unfrozen caveman became an NFL player) and I kinda like Chuck Pegano.  Not as a coach; he's fucking putrid as a coach, but as a person.  He beat cancer and he has been an outspoken supporter of many cancer charities since then.  On a more local note there is a local radio personality (Rich Shertenleib) whose wife has (or had) cancer and Pegano sent him a really touching letter of support.  The guy is just a good person. 

But that fucking "Not-A-Real-Play-Fake-Punt?"  WTF? 

19 hours ago, White Walker Texas Ranger said:

Your the exes he's forgotten about. Depressed because his only feeling towards you is apathy, not hate.

Yeah... that... that's kinda true.  

17 hours ago, Triskan said:

Why is it all of the sudden a thing that Green Bay is struggling? 

Rock - I'm pretty sure that game was in J'Ville.

So they're 1-1 with two road games, and @ Minnesota is a fearsome game. 

Yeah, I fucked that up; the Jags played @ Jax and ... that really doesn't help it because the Jags then lost by like 4 million points to the Chargers.  

18 hours ago, James Arryn said:

Rock, I demand you do the Niners! And no, pointing out their insignificance by not doing them is not good enough!

No, the 49'ers are completely terrible.  They beat a half-dead college team in the Rams and then faced a real NFL team.  Did you see the game?  The 49'ers look liked one of those stereotypical LIfetime movies.  You know the one

"She was an innocent college co-ed (cut to blond-haired blue eyed girl in the dorm "This is going to be the best year ever!")... And he was tall dark and handsome young man (cut to a 1985 Ralph Machio knock-off) from a family ... FROM NEW JERSEY (cut to a scene of 4 really REALLY Italian looking guys standing near a car in a fog all wearing pin-stripe suits, wing-tipped shoes and awkward hats... at least one is nervously fingering a violin case)!  And then they were MARRIED (cut to stereotypical church wedding where her Protestant parents look REALLY uncomfortable) !  Now she's .... MARRIED TO THE MOB!!!"  

And the look that young woman gets when she stumbles in on her husband... "Frank" as he and "Luigi" are cutting up a rival mobster in the garage?  THAT'S the look of every 49'er player as they stumbled into Cam Newton and the Panthers this past Sunday.  The looked like they got hit in the face by a drive-by shooting.  

But ... how much pleasure can I get picking on the 49'ers?  BLANE GABBERT IS YOUR QB!  Haven't you suffered enough?  

THanks for reading, and as always if you are a Dolphins fan that means you root for a team whose former GM asked a prospective player if his mother had been a prostitute.  I hate that team more.  

You know the NFL thread is really humming when Rock is comparing the 49ers to a Lifetime movie. I love it.

Anyone see Richard Sherman's controversial press conference today? He said some things that as a white football viewer, I'm deeply uncomfortable with. Here's an excerpt:

So today, obviously we’re playing San Fran and they’re a great opponent. They’ve got some weapons. Torrey Smith, Carlos Hyde. They’re running Chip Kelly’s offense. They do a great job. They’ve been getting yards, moving the ball, scoring points. 

35 minutes ago, Rockroi said:

.. And he was tall dark and handsome young man (cut to a 1985 Ralph Machio knock-off) from a family ... FROM NEW JERSEY

What a 1985 Ralph Macchio knock-off might look like...

http://media2.s-nbcnews.com/j/newscms/2015_20/1020481/150512-jimmy-garoppolo-yh-1053a_bb03692b4d23046cbb3c6a40e0e6cca7.nbcnews-fp-1200-800.jpg

19 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

EXACTLY. I'm not saying I want to blow Handsome Jimmy G, I'm just sayin' you could do worse.

You could call it the Clausen Rule or the Hoyer Rule.  It could always be worse.

6 hours ago, Triskan said:

You could call it the Clausen Rule or the Hoyer Rule.  It could always be worse.

That made me google Jimmy Clausen to see if he is still in the league... Turns out he plays for the Ravens.  Also turns out he still looks just as much like a d-bag as he always did.

20 hours ago, briantw said:

On my dynasty league I am currently without Keenan Allen, Donte Moncrief, and Doug Martin.  That's like three of my first five or six picks.  Been a rough start.  At least it's dynasty, I guess.

It's actually worse than I thought. My top 3 RBs, top 3 WRs and both of my TEs are injured. 

Archived