NFL 2016 Week 2: extending the mustache ride in LA

DanteGabriel

25 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

If it was just 1 or 2 missed holds, that's fine, but it wasn't. It was all game long. Some of them pretty flagrant. Add the "fumble", and the Uzomah non-TD (our booth got that one wrong too unfortunately), and it becomes a lot to overcome. 

The Bengals didn't play well for most of the game  (neither did the Steelers), but they should have had a chance at the end. Pete Morelli is one of the worst officials in the league. And he continues to prove it. 

It's not worth it. Ross is literally the worst fan on this board. You can't have a discussion with him about actual facts of a game because they don't matter to him. He won't recognize the fumble. He'll ignore the missed TD. He won't give a shit about any of the holds even if you show him all 6 vines. Want to know why? Because he doesn't care. And that's fine. Just don't waste your time.

Besides the bullshit of the refs, he is right. Dalton was bad, especially in the red zone (though he did actually have one TD) and Green was nowhere to be seen (though this is more on Dalton than Green given Green had like 3 targets). The team had 4 drops and they were pinned back with an average starting position inside their own 15 yard line for the entire game. The running game was again abysmal and why they gave a contract extension to Hewitt for him only to play 1 snap is beyond me. Tough to win a game when you're trying to beat the refs, the shitty field and themselves. Bengals lost, Steelers won. It is what it is. We'll see them again in week 15 when it matters.

Side note on the TD. The reason the booth got it wrong is because they're 100% reliant on CBS' replays and at the time, they showed like 2 replays at full speed, none from the angle that they showed 10 minutes later which showed a clear TD. It's tough to make a quick decision like that when they don't have the ability to actually get the views they need to make the decision. I thought he was out at first too until CBS finally showed us the replays that showed he was clearly in which was when the Steelers had the ball.

1 hour ago, Mexal said:

Side note on the TD. The reason the booth got it wrong is because they're 100% reliant on CBS' replays and at the time, they showed like 2 replays at full speed, none from the angle that they showed 10 minutes later which showed a clear TD. It's tough to make a quick decision like that when they don't have the ability to actually get the views they need to make the decision. I thought he was out at first too until CBS finally showed us the replays that showed he was clearly in which was when the Steelers had the ball.

Wow, that is terrible. I probably should have known that, but I always assumed the booths would have more access to video replays than just what the broadcast would show. At the time I was sitting there wondering why they weren't throwing the red flag. 

12 hours ago, briantw said:

Two games down, two Browns quarterbacks down.  Off to a good start.

Coleman looked incredible today, by the way.

If my math is correct, you're on to your 26th starting QB in your team's 17th season.

May god have mercy on Deshaun Watson.

A win is a win so I am happy with the results from the Dallas - Washington game.

The offense looks capable of competing even with two rookies handling the ball.

The defense looks like The Walking Dead. Actually that's an insult to The Walking Dead, they look like Fear of the Walking dead. The zombies on defense occasionally get a victim but mostly they just blindly lumber around. Not saying they aren't trying, just don't have the talent to do it.

3 hours ago, Mexal said:

It's not worth it. Ross is literally the worst fan on this board. You can't have a discussion with him about actual facts of a game because they don't matter to him. He won't recognize the fumble. He'll ignore the missed TD. He won't give a shit about any of the holds even if you show him all 6 vines. Want to know why? Because he doesn't care. And that's fine. Just don't waste your time.

Besides the bullshit of the refs, he is right. Dalton was bad, especially in the red zone (though he did actually have one TD) and Green was nowhere to be seen (though this is more on Dalton than Green given Green had like 3 targets). The team had 4 drops and they were pinned back with an average starting position inside their own 15 yard line for the entire game. The running game was again abysmal and why they gave a contract extension to Hewitt for him only to play 1 snap is beyond me. Tough to win a game when you're trying to beat the refs, the shitty field and themselves. Bengals lost, Steelers won. It is what it is. We'll see them again in week 15 when it matters.

Tales of the Scorned Fan

I actually said live during the game that I thought the fumble was bogus.  You can see knee down, and I agree with that.  Don't understand how there's no clear shot of that.  You're asking for a lot if you think Dalton is going to score there and get a 2 pt conv.  As for the non TD, if you can't tell during a full speed replay that it was a TD how do you expect the ref to make that call accurately in real time?  And that is on your booth to make that call regardless of the speed.  You gotta weigh your options quickly, but that's why you have professionals up there.  They dropped the ball.  

41 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Love how the Vikings played last night. I'm rooting for you guys hard in the NFC.

It's ugly, but it gets the job done.

44 minutes ago, Triskan said:

That was one of the worst games Rodgers has played in a while with several uncharacteristic fumbles and several missed throws he doesn't usually miss, and a few that could have been picked that weren't.  

Apparently he's gone 14 straight games without having a passer rating over 100. During that same period, The Pain Train has had two.

Also, am I allowed to rename my team in the Outlaw league Team IR? Good god....

50 minutes ago, Triskan said:

That was one of the worst games Rodgers has played in a while with several uncharacteristic fumbles and several missed throws he doesn't usually miss, and a few that could have been picked that weren't.  Bradford really did look quite solid.  Scary for the league if he's finally found the right place and Minnesota was able to plug that hole at QB.

In his defense, The Vikes defense is looking like one of the best squads in the league. They forced all of those fumbles. What was uncharacteristic for me was the overthrows. Seems like he was off target more often than not. 

4 minutes ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

Tales of the Scorned Fan

I actually said live during the game that I thought the fumble was bogus.  You can see knee down, and I agree with that.  Don't understand how there's no clear shot of that.  You're asking for a lot if you think Dalton is going to score there and get a 2 pt conv.  As for the non TD, if you can't tell during a full speed replay that it was a TD how do you expect the ref to make that call accurately in real time?  And that is on your booth to make that call regardless of the speed.  You gotta weigh your options quickly, but that's why you have professionals up there.  They dropped the ball.  

Don't disagree with anything you've said. Just would have liked the shot to see if Dalton could do it. Most likely thing to happen would be he score a TD then fail the 2 pt play. That's very much a Bengals ending. Just hate that opportunity being taken away erroneously. You would too if the script was flipped.

20 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

In his defense, The Vikes defense is looking like one of the best squads in the league. They forced all of those fumbles. What was uncharacteristic for me was the overthrows. Seems like he was off target more often than not. 

Getting hit a lot will do that to a guy. He was sacked 5 times and it looked like he got hit a dozen more. 

1 hour ago, Mexal said:

Here are some vines from the game. Not one of these was called.

http://700wlw.iheart.com/onair/lance-mcalister-7818/vines-hold-on-a-second-15117710/

While I can agree that there were some obvious holding calls missed (mostly Villanueva) that I could even see from my seat at the game, it's not difficult to find holding on almost every play when the tape is slowed down like in those vines. I'm not excusing the poor officiating from yesterday by any means, but using slow motion replays for holding is tough to use as evidence when the plays are in real time and it isn't as noticeable. And I still can't believe they didn't overturn the Boyd fumble. 

The best thing to take away from this game is that both teams showed they can play a game against each other without all of the bullshit that occured throughout the 3 games last year. That was a pleasant surprise. 

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

If my math is correct, you're on to your 26th starting QB in your team's 17th season.

May god have mercy on Deshaun Watson.

His sacrifice will not be in vain. His ruined career may yet allow Lamar Jackson to go to a real NFL team. Like the Dolphins or Bears. Or if we're really lucky he might someday be a Ram!

28 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

Pretty glad I missed the Skins game due to traveling. I'm sure I would've been throwing things for a lot of reasons, but especially Jay Gruden calling for 265 fades at the goalline

You should be glad.  Cousins once again put up seemingly acceptable numbers while playing like ass.  And the fades were actually worse than most NFL fades, becuase it was really obvious that Cousins and Doctson had no chemistry.  Many of them were obviously doomed from the start because I think Cousins doesn't know how to throw a fade route, and confuses it with "throw to the corner of the end zone where no one can catch it".  

1 hour ago, Joe Pesci said:

While I can agree that there were some obvious holding calls missed (mostly Villanueva) that I could even see from my seat at the game, it's not difficult to find holding on almost every play when the tape is slowed down like in those vines. I'm not excusing the poor officiating from yesterday by any means, but using slow motion replays for holding is tough to use as evidence when the plays are in real time and it isn't as noticeable. And I still can't believe they didn't overturn the Boyd fumble. 

The best thing to take away from this game is that both teams showed they can play a game against each other without all of the bullshit that occured throughout the 3 games last year. That was a pleasant surprise. 

I can understand why the fumble was not overturned, and I believe it highlights an issue with instant replay. There was no view of the ball between the the initial tackle and then the knee causing the ball to pop out. While everyone watching might have known Harrison's knee was what caused the fumble, and that this occurred after Boyd's knee had touched the ground, the officials can't overturn a call based off of that. As terrible a call as it was, there was no visual evidence the ball stayed secure during the time Harrison's body blocked it from view. In situations like this I believe you can allow the ref to assume some things that can't be seen visually. 

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

You should be glad.  Cousins once again put up seemingly acceptable numbers while playing like ass.  And the fades were actually worse than most NFL fades, becuase it was really obvious that Cousins and Doctson had no chemistry.  Many of them were obviously doomed from the start because I think Cousins doesn't know how to throw a fade route, and confuses it with "throw to the corner of the end zone where no one can catch it".  

Ugh. This feels like one of those Skins seasons I switch over to full time Red Zone channel watching by October. They'll effectively be eliminated if they lose to the Giants Sunday.

This feels like every year after a playoff appearance (i.e.: 2006, 2013) where it all goes to shit immediately. I don't need to have every Sunday ruined by shoddy coaching and mental midget players. 

Archived