RIP My Dog Winter

drawkcabi

She took a turn for the worse last night/early this morning. She'd been to the cardiologist a month ago and was diagnosed with an enlarged and leaking heart. She was put on medications to try and reduce the fluid but they just couldn't do the trick. This morning she couldn't lie down any longer, she was having so much trouble breathing.

I took her to the pet emergency room 20 miles away, she didn't even make it, she died in the car on the way. I could tell she was in serious distress because her breathing was so gurgled, but when she stopped gurgling all together I knew it was even worse. I thought of asking my dad to pull over so I could do CPR but I had never done it before so I chose to try to make it to the er. I pet her the whole time so I was with her, my hand was on her when she went.

I jumped out of the car as soon as we got to the er, a tech took her immediately in the back but she had no heartbeat at all. But now she is no longer in any discomfort.

Goodbye my Winter of contentment, my Winnie the Pooh, my Winnie the Woozle, my Winter storm, my baby girl, my angel, the best dog I could have ever asked for. I love you with all my heart.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v735/Drawkcabi/000_0483.jpg

Thank you everybody, I really need some sympathy.

My other dog Sarge is lying in Winter's spot now.

I don't know if she was glad I was there but I think she was comforted by me, I really hope so. But if it had to be, I'm glad it was me with her in the end, if my mom or someone else had taken her and I hadn't gone and this happened the guilt would have been tremendous. She wasn't alone, she with the people who loved her the most in the world and who she loved most.

Really sorry to hear that drawkcabi, she was a beautiful dog. I had something similar happen to a rottweiler I had years ago. She died in the car on the way to the vet as well. I also recently had a scare a week ago with one of my current dogs, he had a seizure at home and when I was rushing him to the vet he had another one in the car on the way there (though he is alive, found out he has brain cancer). It sucks big time, Condolences man.

:crying::crying::crying::grouphug:
I am SO sorry drawk, I know how much she meant to you. This really makes me sad. She was such a special dog and I loved hearing stories about her. I'm glad you were with her when she went, she knew you were there and I'm sure it gave her comfort. RIP Beautiful Winter.

I'm so sorry for your loss of your beautiful and loving companion.  When I read the title of the thread, my heart sank, knowing how much she meant to you.  Thankfully, you were there to comfort her as she passed.  May we all be so fortunate when our own time comes. 

:grouphug:  

Archived