RIP My Dog Winter

drawkcabi

On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 11:43 PM, drawkcabi said:

Thank you everybody, thank you very much. I miss her, I keep expecting her to be here and when I realize again that she's gone it hurts all over again.

I'm facing the same thing, Drawk.  Tonight is most likely my beloved Benny's last night.  I am certainly not looking forward to tomorrow. 

I'm going to do my best to concentrate on all the joy he brought us AND what a great life he had - MANY romps in the woods, walks every day, terrorizing small animals, soaking up the attention of all ladies (he's definitely a lady's man.) 

10 hours ago, Tears of Lys said:

I'm facing the same thing, Drawk.  Tonight is most likely my beloved Benny's last night.  I am certainly not looking forward to tomorrow. 

I'm going to do my best to concentrate on all the joy he brought us AND what a great life he had - MANY romps in the woods, walks every day, terrorizing small animals, soaking up the attention of all ladies (he's definitely a lady's man.) 

TOL my deepest, deepest, sympathies. Yes concentrate on those things and just know that however much the pain is now it is worth it for the time and love you've had with Benny. Worth it to you and definitely worth it to Benny. :grouphug: 

Thanks, you guys.  He got the lethal injection at around 1:30 today.  Last night and this morning, he refused food, which for Benny is like the sun refusing to come up in the morning.  But that's when we knew.  His once-strong legs couldn't bear his weight any longer and I suspect he lost his sense of smell. 

I handled it pretty well, considering.

But then I came home.  and the longer I've been home, the more hysterical I'm getting.  Every fiber of my being is screaming, I want my dog back!  He was my constant companion and I really don't know how long it will take for this feeling to pass. 

In the midst of my shock and feelings of loss and disorientation, I will spare a moment for you, Drawk,, who I know must be going through the same.  :grouphug: 

1 hour ago, Tears of Lys said:

Thanks, you guys.  He got the lethal injection at around 1:30 today.  Last night and this morning, he refused food, which for Benny is like the sun refusing to come up in the morning.  But that's when we knew.  His once-strong legs couldn't bear his weight any longer and I suspect he lost his sense of smell. 

But then I came home.  and the longer I've been home, the more hysterical I'm getting.  Every fiber of my being is screaming, I want my dog back!  He was my constant companion and I really don't know how long it will take for this feeling to pass. 

In the midst of my shock and feelings of loss and disorientation, I will spare a moment for you, Drawk,, who I know must be going through the same.  :grouphug: 

:grouphug: so sorry, friend 

2 hours ago, Tears of Lys said:

You guys don't know how much your words do help.  They are sooo much appreciated.

I know Drawk feels the same way.

:love: 

Hillary and Donald are doing their share to take our minds off our troubles too.  :unsure: 

So true.

TOL very, very sorry. :grouphug: 

I keep dreaming about not only Winter but my other Keeshonds I've had too. I find myself looking forward to these dreams.

Also, I've decided I want to get another Keeshond puppy. She won't replace Winter but I have an ache in my heart that I feel can be soothed by giving love to another dog. I thought about getting a rescue dog but I love the breed so much and I've had them all my life, I really want one. I won't go to a puppy mill or pet store that gets dogs from puppy mills, I promise that, but I will find a reputable AKC breeder that takes care of their breeding dog(s).

My other dog I have is a rescue and if I get another dog after him I will go rescue, but I really, really need a Keeshond this time.

56 minutes ago, drawkcabi said:

So true.

I keep dreaming about not only Winter but my other Keeshonds I've had too. I find myself looking forward to these dreams.

Also, I've decided I want to get another Keeshond puppy. She won't replace Winter but I have an ache in my heart that I feel can be soothed by giving love to another dog. I thought about getting a rescue dog but I love the breed so much and I've had them all my life, I really want one. I won't go to a puppy mill or pet store that gets dogs from puppy mills, I promise that, but I will find a reputable AKC breeder that takes care of their breeding dog(s).

My other dog I have is a rescue and if I get another dog after him I will go rescue, but I really, really need a Keeshond this time.

Thanks, Drawk.  It's a miserable thing to go through, for sure, but I would do it again in a heartbeat.  I've spent this evening looking at photos of Benny in happier times.  They've put a smile on my face rather than tears in my eyes, and that's a wonderful thing right now.

Is there a Keeshond rescue group?  I've found oftentimes that for every breed there's idiot humans who decide, for one reason or another, that they can't care for them.  But that's not fair.  Sometimes it happens through no fault of their own.  Anyway, if you love the breed, then by all means get a puppy any way you can and shower him or her with all the love you've got for Winter and all her predecessors. 

ETA:  Here's a quick Google search result:

http://www.keeshonden.org/rescue.html

Good luck, sweetie!

12 hours ago, Tears of Lys said:

My thoughts go to you.

Sending virtual hugs and comfort your way! =o)

:grouphug:

5 hours ago, drawkcabi said:

So true.

Sorry for your loss Drawk, and Tears of Lys.

I know how that feels. When my dog died 3 years ago I was devastated. It was unbelievable how much he meant to me.

I felt his loss for months afterwards. Started watching The Sopranos on dvd in the evenings just to keep my mind off the fact that he was no longer staring at me through the door or lying close.

I do want to say, do not get a new dog too quickly. It's my feeling that you definitely need to give it time, mourn the dog you lost and when you are ready for a new dog, look into that. But don't buy one just to alleviate the pain of the longtime companion you just lost. This will be a new individual who will be quite different from the dog you had. Maybe you know all this but I want to stress the importance of not getting a new dog so soon. Give it some time.

25 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

I do want to say, do not get a new dog too quickly. It's my feeling that you definitely need to give it time, mourn the dog you lost and when you are ready for a new dog, look into that. But don't buy one just to alleviate the pain of the longtime companion you just lost. This will be a new individual who will be quite different from the dog you had. Maybe you know all this but I want to stress the importance of not getting a new dog so soon. Give it some time.

On the one hand, what works for one, doesn't work for everyone; on the other - it's generally really good advice.

The risk of getting a "replacement" dog too soon is that they become... a replacement dog; not a dog and companion in their own right; and it's very easy for resentment to build there - especially if there are kids in the family too; though however adult and aware we try to be, it's such an easy trap to fall into. Rebound relationships are always off to a rocky, and unfair start.

Equally, dogs are great at hekping their humans to mourn, they always have a shoulder to cry on, and don't care how wet it gets; they'll wash your face, kick your arse off the sofa / out of bed as they still need their walkies; and will be a constant reminder of the good times you had with the previous dog.

What my family did by accident on my childhood, and I do deliberately in my adulthood - is to stagger the dogs we have.

It means that I will (hopefully) never be without a dog again. The older helps with the youngster's training by setting a good example, providing security in scary new situations, helps both by having a canine to play with; and especially helps to have 2 when you have leave them alone for a time. It also means that there's no particular "replacement dog" feeling to be had.

The heartbreak still happens, and will hurt just as much - but you've got a dog to help you through the tough times, and a house full of both empathy and distraction.

My thoughts, and internet hugs go out to both of you (and anyone else in the same situation); I really hope I have another 6-8 years before I'm in that place again; but don't rush the "replacement" dog, finish mourning first; and borrow other peoples' dogs in the mean-time!

Like I said, I have one other dog right now. He's a real sweetie and I'm glad I have him. I really want another Keeshond though. I've had them all my life, sometimes they staggered so I've lost one and had another, other times I lost one and got another one some months down the line.

Right now I'm dealing with a terrible case of cellulitis and infection in my leg, so I'm not doing anything until that's resolved. But once it is I feel it will be time to get the ball rolling. All my Kees and other dogs for that matter have each been their own unique individuals and I loved that about them.

Because I've got Benny on the mind, here's a soulful picture of him AND a happy picture of him - both from about a year and a half ago, IIRC.

http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu235/Tears_of_Lys/FullSizeRender - Copy.jpg

http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu235/Tears_of_Lys/FullSizeRender 3 - Copy.jpgj

This last one is him at a nearby park that he LURVED, due to the fact that lots of other dogs were there. 

Archived