Primetime Emmy Awards 2016

Mladen

Congrats to the GoT team.They've now broken Frasier's record as the most honoured prime-time TV series ever :D

the series toppled longstanding all-time record holder Frasier with 38 victories. That comedy went off the air in 2004 so their record of 37 wins stood quite the test of time, but it was ultimately SLAYED by GOT.

Mr. Robot should have won, especially for writing. I don't think season 2 will be able to win them anything, other than maybe Rami winning again. I agree with the director win for GoT, and all its technical category wins, and I disagree with Lena not winning for supporting actress. (Loved Jimmy Kimmel taking the Emmy away). I'm also OK with them winning best drama series, because other than Mr. Robot the competition wasn't that tough. But best writing, no no no.

The Americans for best writing imo. 

7 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Fargo was mugged in the Outstanding Limited Series category. I mean I saw the People vs OJ and it was entertaining, but it wasnt on a Fargo level. Just imo I guess.

Completely agreed. People vs OJ was solid and much better than I was expecting but it shouldn't have swept Fargo. 

Given that I mostly watch drama series, I can comment on those. I am tragically uninformed when it comes to Comedy on US TV landscape.

Not gonna lie. It was a weird, weird year. Naturally, "Game of Thrones" was expected to win the best drama and directing, while that writing win is a travesty for itself. Its acting nods, at least based on people were saying, should have gone with some trophies. But, what happened. First, people forget that GoT cast never induced much love across the board. The sheer size of the cast, with limited amount of time and undoubtedly unpopular genre did their magic. Instead of being trailblazer, Dinklage became someone who was just name-checked, year after year. The popularity grew, the love for certain elements of the show also grew, the occasional members of the cast would get the noms but it never worked. Simply, even though both Heady and Harington have excellent tapes, it is never about those.

Heady losing to Dame Smith was undoubtedly painful. But, it wasn't like it was a done deal. Heady was against one of the most respected veterans in the industry, a woman who was 5 times nominated for that role and who won twice. Never forget that this was the last season of Downton Abbey and unless they planned to give them Best Drama, the unwritten roles demanded that at least one award goes there. Furthermore, Heady's chances were crippled by the fact that there were three GoT actresses nominated in the same category. Heady wasn't THAT magnificent, she wasn't unquestionable winner. She was good in a what is honestly quite the weak category.

As for Dame Smith, I talked with @Veltigar about the lack of class on US TV and even though Kimmel started jokingly, the entire thing was just a second/minute too long or a bit too much and it turned to tasteless American moaning. Given that Internet took Kimmel seriously, so shall I and just reiterate that there are indeed those who are rock'n'roll (as strange as it sounds to use that for 83-year-old British Dame)... Those outside the establishment who do their work and don't find it necessary to do the hoopla dance to the members of awarding bodies. Now, AMPAS is a bit more vain, which is why Dame Smith hasn't been nominated 2012 and 2016. So, the solution simply is that Emmys take the note from Oscar's book.

As the Supporting roles wins in Drama were underwhelming, the absolute bowdown goes to the choice of Malek and Maslany. And honestly, I don't know which of these two surprised me more. I have to say I was rooting for The Americans pair, but it was their first ride and I hope, soon enough, those two will get the awards. But Malek was going against the line of actors who were far more popular and influential than he is, in shows seen by far greater audience. The fact he won Spacey, in what many thought to be his year, is truly a wonder.

Maslany had no easier task. It certainly helped that Julianna Margulies (or Michelle Dockery, as for that matter) was out (we can only question how many of the voters would give her "good-bye" Emmy), that Viola Davis' "How to get away with a Murder" and Taraji P. Henson's "Empire" had terrible year behind them, that Claire Danes is well, yesterday's news and that Robin Wright is not likable enough and that Russell is, like Rhys in male category, all the new. Nevertheless, to win in this lineup is exquisite achievement. Both her and Malek were outside-the-box winners and I like it. 

Overall, it was interesting night... And for the award show, that is pretty much the highest praise :D  

7 minutes ago, Risto said:

As for Dame Smith, I talked with @Veltigar about the lack of class on US TV and even though Kimmel started jokingly, the entire thing was just a second/minute too long or a bit too much and it turned to tasteless American moaning. Given that Internet took Kimmel seriously, so shall I and just reiterate that there are indeed those who are rock'n'roll (as strange as it sounds to use that for 83-year-old British Dame)... Those outside the establishment who do their work and don't find it necessary to do the hoopla dance to the members of awarding bodies. Now, AMPAS is a bit more vain, which is why Dame Smith hasn't been nominated 2012 and 2016. So, the solution simply is that Emmys take the note from Oscar's book.

I found Kimmel's "bitching" about Dame Smith not being there amusing. I certainly won't complain about it when even Pat Cadigan amusingly bitched about people not being present at the Hugo's this year.

On the note of Game of Thrones winning all these awards, I have to wonder how is this show considered better than other similar shows like Black Sails and Outlander? And I'm not saying that the shows I mentioned, or others like them deserve all the Emmys, but really, if GoT is awarded for its WRITING, then the others should have a heavy presence at these awards, too.

3 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

I found Kimmel's "bitching" about Dame Smith not being there amusing. I certainly won't complain about it when even Pat Cadigan amusingly bitched about people not being present at the Hugo's this year.

No, the part of it in the monologue was excellent... Pulling Kanye, not so much... Although, TBH, having her there would be LEGENDARY.

2 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

On the note of Game of Thrones winning all these awards, I have to wonder how is this show considered better than other similar shows like Black Sails and Outlander? And I'm not saying that the shows I mentioned, or others like them deserve all the Emmys, but really, if GoT is awarded for its WRITING, then the others should have a heavy presence at these awards, too.

One word: Popularity.

1 hour ago, Risto said:

No, the part of it in the monologue was excellent... Pulling Kanye, not so much... Although, TBH, having her there would be LEGENDARY.

One word: Popularity.

Yes, that's the sad fact. Well I hope that at least this popularity factor gives Stranger Things a spot next year.

Also, him pulling Kanye I thought was just a natural continuation of his monologue. The moment they said her name, I knew it had to happen. Between that and Damon's appearance, I have to wonder if Kimmel was informed of the winners ahead of time. I have no idea who knows and who doesn't prior to the ceremony.

1 hour ago, David Selig said:

Also it is a complete travesty that Sense8 didn't even get a nomination for best editing. It should have won by a country mile in that category.

I think Sense8 fell into the deadzone of coming out right at the very start of the eligibility period and then it didn't make enough of an impact to stay in people's minds over a year later. If Game of Thrones was a middling instead of a massive one, it might risk the same thing for Season 7 in 2018 but, of course it should do well again (even if, if I'm reading this right, it means Season 7 will be up for awards after Season 8 airs, which is weird, and then Season 8 will be eligible in 2019).

2 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Yes, that's the sad fact. Well I hope that at least this popularity factor gives Stranger Things a spot next year.

Well, without Game of Thrones, next year might be really interesting.

2 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Also, him pulling Kanye I thought was just a natural continuation of his monologue. The moment they said her name, I knew it had to happen. Between that and Damon's appearance, I have to wonder if Kimmel was informed of the winners ahead of time. I have no idea who knows and who doesn't prior to the ceremony.

They all know, given that they are all members of the Academy. He knew about the Smith and the moment he included her in the dialogue, people knew she was gonna win. Remember, Heady, who was supposedly front runner didn't show up. So, she must have been informed. These things are only unknown to the outsiders :D 

Wasn't sure where else I could put this. I got a chuckle out of it. A lawyer and friend of Johnnie Cochrane was offended by a Jimmy Kimmel joke that he told during the Emmys...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/emmys-johnnie-cochrans-mentee-friend-930796?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

Strange that Ben Mendelsohn won for Best Supporting Actor. He was barely on Bloodline this season. He was brilliant the first season and deserved that award last year just like Peter Dinklage deserved his the year before he actually won. Strange choice for Best writing too. Not the fact that it won but for the fact that David and Dan chose that episode despite the fact it has barely any dialogue. Probably didn't want Emmy voters to need to watch too many episodes maybe? 

29 minutes ago, RUSSELL BELL said:

Strange that Ben Mendelsohn won for Best Supporting Actor. He was barely on Bloodline this season. He was brilliant the first season and deserved that award last year just like Peter Dinklage deserved his the year before he actually won. Strange choice for Best writing too. Not the fact that it won but for the fact that David and Dan chose that episode despite the fact it has barely any dialogue. Probably didn't want Emmy voters to need to watch too many episodes maybe? 

Season 2 of Bloodline premiered only on May 27, past the eligibility date. So in reality it was season 1 that was judged here.

On writing, it's not just dialogue that's being judged, it's the entire script of an episode. (Same for movies at the Oscars)

3 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Season 2 of Bloodline premiered only on May 27, past the eligibility date. So in reality it was season 1 that was judged here.

On writing, it's not just dialogue that's being judged, it's the entire script of an episode. (Same for movies at the Oscars)

It couldn't be though because he was also nominated last year. So it must be the current season. 

8 minutes ago, RUSSELL BELL said:

It couldn't be though because he was also nominated last year. So it must be the current season. 

Yes, you're right. But my understanding is that only shows that premiered before May 1st are considered. I don't know what's going on here.

9 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Yes, you're right. But my understanding is that only shows that premiered before May 1st are considered. I don't know what's going on here.

You're just a month off, June 1st is the cutoff date.

Archived