Star Trek: Discovery

Werthead

8 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

Yea I was thinking along these lines. Number One could be a lieutenant commander on the Discovery officially, but unofficially be a Section 31 spy who's tasked with inflaming the situation between the Romulans and this unknown foe. It'd explain why she's the lead character but not the captain, if the series was about the secret mission more than it was about the Discovery itself.

Some additional thoughts: Number One could be her code name, and the crew know her by a fake name, hence why it takes as long as 'by the end of the season' to learn her real name. Also it'd be kinda cool if they sent Discovery on a huge wide arc around Romulan space through uncharted territory, thus leaving your classic Star Trek plots available (ship stumbles across some strange new worlds, new civilisations etc), but gradually heading towards Number One's real mission.

I was thinking the "main character isn't the captain" thing might be an indication that the captain dies during the first season and Number One takes over as captain at that point, and she has to get used to the job by the seat of her pants. That'd be different from Kirk, Picard and Janeway, who had all been captains for a while, and Sisko who had been a very experienced commander for many years before being promoted to captain halfway through DS9's run.

23 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I was thinking the "main character isn't the captain" thing might be an indication that the captain dies during the first season and Number One takes over as captain at that point, and she has to get used to the job by the seat of her pants. That'd be different from Kirk, Picard and Janeway, who had all been captains for a while, and Sisko who had been a very experienced commander for many years before being promoted to captain halfway through DS9's run.

If they went that way I'd certainly hope they'd make a bigger deal of the captain in season 1. Otherwise it would be "shrugs" all round if the captain dies and she gets the gig.

32 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Isn't she's a lieutenant commander? So I guess the commander would have to die as well for that to happen. But still works I guess. Although it doesn't explain why we don't learn her name until the end of the season, unless it's just a random 'Withnail and I' style thing where it just happens that nobody ever says it.

2 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

Isn't she's a lieutenant commander? So I guess the commander would have to die as well for that to happen. But still works I guess. Although it doesn't explain why we don't learn her name until the end of the season, unless it's just a random 'Withnail and I' style thing where it just happens that nobody ever says it.

The first officer can be a lieutenant commander or commander. I think Spock was a lieutenant commander at the start of TOS.

12 hours ago, red snow said:

If they went that way I'd certainly hope they'd make a bigger deal of the captain in season 1. Otherwise it would be "shrugs" all round if the captain dies and she gets the gig.

Sean Bean for Captain!

7 hours ago, drawkcabi said:

Sean Bean for Captain!

Ha! One day they should cast him in something and the shock will be him surviving to the sequel/second film.

He'd make a "fun" captain though. Weary and tired and spreading "northerness" throughout the galaxy - they always say hello to strangers though :)

20 hours ago, Werthead said:

The first officer can be a lieutenant commander or commander. I think Spock was a lieutenant commander at the start of TOS.

Thinking about it, you could combine both our theories - the Captain and possibly Commander don't have to die, they could just learn of the actual plot to stoke things with the Romulans and orders from the top are that Number One is to take over at a certain point (kinda mixing 2001-esque 'the crew don't know the real mission' with the Omega episode of Voyager). That be an interesting dynamic, if the Captain is suddenly bumped down to Commander in favour of someone who's been lying the whole time.

• 2 weeks later...

I know it has nothing to do with this topic, but tonight I tried helping my 8th grade step daughter study for a math test.  She had reviewed with the teacher today, but when I looked at her study guide I saw multiple wrong answers.  She swore they were correct. 

By the time we gave up and called my out of town wife, here's how I felt:

If I can go a bit off topic too...

I'm recording all the episodes of Star Trek Continues onto DVD from You Tube, just in case with the coming of the new "official" series, they get ordered to be removed due to copyright infringement.

For anyone that has not seen these, I strongly recommend them. IMHO these are the absolute best of the fan made productions. They are actually continuing episodes of the original Star Trek. The props, scenery, dialogue, stunts, and the music! it's all fantastic and perfectly in tune with TOS.

The only off putting things are some of the actors. Spock doesn't work for me and Bones has none of Deforest Kelly's screen presence even if he has Bones' lines down.

Kirk is great, he straddles the line between Kirk impersonation and Kirk caricature maybe once in a while goes over it but no more than Shatner himself hamming it up in TOS. Also Scotty, played by James Doohan's actual son is terrific. Sulu and Uhura also great, Chekov is good enough. New characters have promise and the person(s) they got to do the computer voice (aside from the late Majel Barrett herself) is perfect!

2 hours ago, drawkcabi said:

I'm recording all the episodes of Star Trek Continues onto DVD from You Tube

For anyone that has not seen these, I strongly recommend them.

Seconded. Anyone who likes TOS should check them out.

17 minutes ago, felice said:

Seconded. Anyone who likes TOS should check them out.

Yes definitely need to like TOS to really appreciate these. As far as I'm concerned Continues is season 4 of Trek: TOS and the animated series is season 5, I don't care if they are official cannon or not, they are cannon in my mind.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2016 at 1:46 PM, drawkcabi said:

If I can go a bit off topic too...

I'm recording all the episodes of Star Trek Continues onto DVD from You Tube, just in case with the coming of the new "official" series, they get ordered to be removed due to copyright infringement.

For anyone that has not seen these, I strongly recommend them. IMHO these are the absolute best of the fan made productions. They are actually continuing episodes of the original Star Trek. The props, scenery, dialogue, stunts, and the music! it's all fantastic and perfectly in tune with TOS.

The only off putting things are some of the actors. Spock doesn't work for me and Bones has none of Deforest Kelly's screen presence even if he has Bones' lines down.

Kirk is great, he straddles the line between Kirk impersonation and Kirk caricature maybe once in a while goes over it but no more than Shatner himself hamming it up in TOS. Also Scotty, played by James Doohan's actual son is terrific. Sulu and Uhura also great, Chekov is good enough. New characters have promise and the person(s) they got to do the computer voice (aside from the late Majel Barrett herself) is perfect!

Sulu is Grant from Mythbusters? That's great! 

Just glanced at the trailer. The stage production is spot on. Amazing.

20 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

Fuller steps down as showrunner, remains as Exec. Producer.

Starts of filming next month, so they better start announcing cast soon!

Fuller's reputation as the flakiest producer in Hollywood remains intact. I can understand finishing off American Gods (which sounds like it overran the schedule, slightly) as he had committed to that a lot earlier, but why the hell would he attach himself to Amazing Stories when he already has a full-time job? Of course that's not going to work. Joss Whedon was able to juggle three series simultaneously because he'd spent five years building up to that point and had highly-skilled teams working under him. Fuller's not in that position yet.

I get the sense that Fuller gets restless too easily and the second he faces some pressure he hits the ejector seat button. Not exactly the kind of resilience you need if you're working in Hollywood.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

Fuller's reputation as the flakiest producer in Hollywood remains intact. I can understand finishing off American Gods (which sounds like it overran the schedule, slightly) as he had committed to that a lot earlier, but why the hell would he attach himself to Amazing Stories when he already has a full-time job? Of course that's not going to work. Joss Whedon was able to juggle three series simultaneously because he'd spent five years building up to that point and had highly-skilled teams working under him. Fuller's not in that position yet.

I get the sense that Fuller gets restless too easily and the second he faces some pressure he hits the ejector seat button. Not exactly the kind of resilience you need if you're working in Hollywood.

It's disappointing but also not too surprising. I still think he's a better fit for American gods than Trek as I fear his style would have too strong an effect on the show and his style (Hannibal, Pushing Daisies) isn't really trek. Maybe "heroes" or back in the day "fuller" could have worked. He seemed very intent on a shorter season as well but that may also have lead to a clash.

I certainly feel his attention was split but think he may still have been a good choice for getting the team together.

Whedon also had two shows that were essentially the same and the third was a shorter season. I'd largely call it running two shows - especially since the two that were similar had been up and running for several years and had their groove. Trying to start up 3 new shows (even one that's an extension of a half century franchise) seems ridiculously over ambitious. I know he's used to cancellations but that's still spreading yourself a bit thin.

I'm starting to feel this show was announced way too early last year. This latest departure could easily cause further delays in the show.

Archived