Star Trek: Discovery

Werthead

6 hours ago, red snow said:

Unless this is in a region of space where the klingons have mutated themselves to fit in with some other race in that region? I vaguely recall that being the dubious excuse they came up with in "trouble with tribbles"

Trouble with Tribbles (great episode) completely side-stepped the issue. Worf just said "We do not discuss it with outsiders."

1 hour ago, Impmk2 said:

Trouble with Tribbles (great episode) completely side-stepped the issue. Worf just said "We do not discuss it with outsiders."

And Enterprise worked to explain it...not the best way, but plausible and worked within established continuity. 

If these are actual Klingons, then they're that much further from swaying me into their money grabbing scheme of this online platform.  Not that I was going to, but it makes it easier if they're just wrecking things right and left anyway...

7 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

And Enterprise worked to explain it...not the best way, but plausible and worked within established continuity. 

So it was Enterprise that had the weird GM to look more human excuse? Or did I just imagine that?

This link seems to clear up a lot of my confusion.

It still seems as if it would be incredibly stupid for the creators to create the same issue again by having different klingons within an established continuity. At the same time it's exactly the kind of dumb thing modern show creators would do thinking they are making their stamp on a franchise.

14 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

There are no way those are Klingons. My money is on a new race. 

Which is why I still hold onto this as no-one besides fandom has claimed them to be Klingons. But this also goes back to the fact that this was deliberate from the PR team.

4 hours ago, red snow said:

Which is why I still hold onto this as no-one besides fandom has claimed them to be Klingons. But this also goes back to the fact that this was deliberate from the PR team.

So you think it could be a ginned up outrage being used as a publicity stunt?

30 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

So you think it could be a ginned up outrage being used as a publicity stunt?

Somewhat - I'm not sure what's worse "outrage baiting as publicity" or "not even realising it could be misconstrued". Either suggests a lack of understanding of the audience.

At least with the former if it turns out it is a different race the outrage was the mistake of viewers and people can relax and the show has been talked about. Not sure how much they've been talked about yet - need to look at some news sites to see how many are reporting it as "new klingons". It could be a storm in a forum-based tea cup in which case it was never meant to be serious PR news.

A quick google search suggests the only people really talking about the news are Trek focused. Less Trek focused news sites tend to frame the piece with "could this be the first look at klingons" so it's clear it's speculative. Although the mary sue piece does say the picture came with the caption "hanging out with the new klingons". It also raises the possibility they may not be finished in the make-up/dressing. It seems a lot of detail to cover with a wig but they probably would look more klingon like with a hairpiece on top.

40 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Apparently the extra who posted the picture has clarified that he just assumed they were Klingons based on their appearance. 

Well, based on the armor and everything about it and the setting of the series... I still think its a safe assumption.

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

Apparently the extra who posted the picture has clarified that he just assumed they were Klingons based on their appearance. 

So there is wiggle room.

47 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Well, based on the armor and everything about it and the setting of the series... I still think its a safe assumption.

And given I don't think anyone wants them to be Klingons I'm guessing there's enough time to throw wigs on them and reshoot.

Thinking back to the reboot klingons - my mind doesn't really register them as klingons so i still feel as if we haven't seen them in that continuity. Not that they were used that much anyhow.

2 hours ago, Rhom said:

I really don't want to believe they'd be so dumb as to drastically redesign the Klingons on a show that was supposed to appeal to fans of the Prime timeline. But then making a new alien race whose armor is that similar would also be stupid. Is it possible that this is the modern version of the TOS/virus afflicted Klingons? I forget what they looked like on Enterprise. 

Or it could be a race subservient to the Klingons wearing clothing made by the Klingon military? Some race they conquered and enslaved.

32 minutes ago, MisterOJ said:

Has there been any indication as to when this series will be aired?

No, not since the last delay. They've said they're going to take as long as they need to get it right. I'd guess early next year though. 

8 minutes ago, RumHam said:

But then making a new alien race whose armor is that similar would also be stupid. Is it possible that this is the modern version of the TOS/virus afflicted Klingons? I forget what they looked like on Enterprise. 

But this show is set between the end of Enterprise and the beginning of TOS? So they'd somehow have to have mutated a lot more in a short space of time and then died out, right? It just seems needlessly confusing and making a convoluted hole-dig far deeper. I sort of side with Roddenberry's original stance of "look we didn't have the budget for that look back in the 60s end of story". It doesn't explain the different temperament but sometimes it's just easier to be honest. It's not like the new show is going to have shitty production values just to stay faithful to TOS and it's not like they are going to jump through hoops to explain why things look better.

24 minutes ago, RumHam said:

No, not since the last delay. They've said they're going to take as long as they need to get it right. I'd guess early next year though. 

Or probably more likely "they'll take as long as they need to get someone to make it the way they want to" Hopefully that also means "right"

There was a close up of that armour in the teaser video, which makes me think it's Klingons and not some random species. So we have TOS Klingons, then a joke about it 30 years later, then an explanation that has to also explain the joke 10 years later, then a new series that throws that all in the bin and redesigns them 10 years after that.

2 hours ago, MisterOJ said:

Has there been any indication as to when this series will be aired?

I believe that May actually is still the optimistically hoped-for date, they're just not wedded to it any more and will drop back if necessary. My guess is that July or, maybe more likely, September, will be the actual date. Next year seems extreme.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

I believe that May actually is still the optimistically hoped-for date, they're just not wedded to it any more and will drop back if necessary. My guess is that July or, maybe more likely, September, will be the actual date. Next year seems extreme.

If it's currently filming September seems reasonable as long as this isn't a pilot episode shooting that requires reshooting afterwards. I guess they want to be confident the whole season can air weekly once it premiers too so they'll want most of them in the can before airing.

4 hours ago, Werthead said:

Yeah, I forgot they're releasing it week by week and not finishing the whole season and then dumping it all at once (which would be my preference.)  May seems really optimistic to me though. I'd imagine there's a lot of post-production effects stuff that needs to be done and my understanding is that that takes time. 

Oh boy I really hope that isn't what they are going to go with for the Klingons. In fact, I'm gonna say right now that if that is what they are, I'm probably out. I'm one of those in the camp that the Klingons are one of my favorite parts of the Star Trek Universe, and to see them changed so drastically is rather disturbing. I mean, why would you go to those twisted lumps of shit  when you could have something like Ol' Crazy eyes.

Archived