Star Trek: Discovery

Werthead

5 hours ago, red snow said:

I was thinking back on the rumour that the lead might be Spock's step-sister or something and was wondering whether it would be interesting allegory or just offensive for them to possibly play with the idea that a human identifies as another alien species? Not a hybrid, simply they feel they are more Vulcan than human. Personally, I think it would be too much of a risk and can understand viewers wanting them to have real-life identity issues portrayed in the show.

Well, she is fully human apparently...

http://ew.com/tv/2017/06/20/star-trek-discovery-sonequa-martin-green-burnham/?utm_campaign=entertainmentweekly&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&xid=entertainment-weekly_socialflow_twitter

53 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

hmm, that interview could actually fit with a person struggling with their identity. She could actually identify as vulcan, or she's been raised Vulcan but deep down knows she is human.

Alternatively she's just struggling with being a spy from Vulcan which is actually less interesting.

7 hours ago, red snow said:

I was thinking back on the rumour that the lead might be Spock's step-sister or something and was wondering whether it would be interesting allegory or just offensive for them to possibly play with the idea that a human identifies as another alien species? Not a hybrid, simply they feel they are more Vulcan than human. Personally, I think it would be too much of a risk and can understand viewers wanting them to have real-life identity issues portrayed in the show.

STNG Season 4 - "Suddenly Human".

34 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

STNG Season 4 - "Suddenly Human".

Ha - still need to watch Next gen properly. Only really watched season 1 and then got back into it around the time DS9 started.

Could be a case of "Simpsons' done it" but next gen :)

Quite looking forward to this. Early November will have a couple of series ready for binge watching.

First 8 episodes of this one, The Deuce season 1, Inhumans season 1, Stranger Things II.

• 4 weeks later...

I can't link it right now, but EW has a short article about why the Klingons have been re-designed. Long story short, apparently Fuller wanted this to begin with, Aaron Roberts agreed, and their reasoning is that Klingons have been inconsistent throughout Star Trek's history. Not counting the Abrams verse, to my knowledge all the shows from TNG to Enterprise showed the same Klingons, with Enterprise actually doing a decent job at explaining why the OST Klingons looked more human. Focus on the characters, not their appearance, is the message. (I disagree)

9 hours ago, Corvinus said:

I can't link it right now, but EW has a short article about why the Klingons have been re-designed. Long story short, apparently Fuller wanted this to begin with, Aaron Roberts agreed, and their reasoning is that Klingons have been inconsistent throughout Star Trek's history. Not counting the Abrams verse, to my knowledge all the shows from TNG to Enterprise showed the same Klingons, with Enterprise actually doing a decent job at explaining why the OST Klingons looked more human. Focus on the characters, not their appearance, is the message. (I disagree)

Here is the article http://ew.com/tv/2017/07/17/star-trek-discovery-klingons-photo/

You know, I'd be a lot more open to that suggestion if the Klingon on the left of the main picture in the article didn't look like fucking Griphook in Harry Potter. For me, if you're going to redesign beloved characters and the like, they have to actually look good, and speaking for myself, this look is pretty much a non-starter. There isn't an aspect of this design that appeals to me in any aesthetic way, and I know that it is going to affect my enjoyment of the overall product.

It's maybe the same article but there was also some news saying this is a different tribe of klingon. I guess their races could be more drastic than what we see on our world - think more along the lines of dog breeds.

I still think it's totally uneccessary and feel it's a bit of an ego trip. Although I guess there were probably people complaining about TNG and movie Klingons too.

The other issue with the "tribe" excuse is that given the time-frame it's safe to assume that this tribe dies out because we never see any sign of them from TNG onwards and given that time-frame covered a war involving Klingons you'd think one of them would appeared. So however badass or cool they try and make them, they are going to lose and lose bad.

The morphological differences to TNG era Klingons seems trivial.  I don't care.  The main difference looks like fashion.  They're sort of Victorian steampunk without the steam or gears.  This doesn't bother me either.

I hope they're a tribe who has genetically engineered themselves to be even more aggressive, and find that isn't working out for them.  They want to Make Qo'noS Great Again but really suck at it and can't pass a single bill.

39 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

The morphological differences to TNG era Klingons seems trivial.  I don't care.  The main difference looks like fashion.  They're sort of Victorian steampunk without the steam or gears.  This doesn't bother me either.

I was thinking more on the lines of worshipers of a space spider deity. :P

On 7/18/2017 at 3:34 PM, Corvinus said:

It's such a crap reason, and smacks of a weak deflection after they realized people didn't think changing the look of Klingons was a very good idea...

10 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Wouldn't Kingons be Space Orcs? Vulcans are High Elves, Romulans are Dark Elves, hence Drizzt is a Romulan

We've always said Star Wars is just fantasy in space... but you've taken it one step further with Trek.

Ferengi as halflings?

On 26/06/2017 at 10:27 AM, Calibandar said:

Quite looking forward to this. Early November will have a couple of series ready for binge watching.

First 8 episodes of this one, The Deuce season 1, Inhumans season 1, Stranger Things II.

Discovery isn't being released on Netflix in one go. It'll be one episode a week, the day after it's released in the States, like Orphan Black.

19 hours ago, Werthead said:

Discovery isn't being released on Netflix in one go. It'll be one episode a week, the day after it's released in the States, like Orphan Black.

Yeah, so there should be 8 episodes out by early November, according to IMDB.

6 hours ago, Calibandar said:

Yeah, so there should be 8 episodes out by early November, according to IMDB.

Episode 8 airs 12 November, so the first 8 should all be on Netflix on 13 November, so yup.

Archived