Star Trek: Discovery

Werthead

3 hours ago, Werthead said:

Yup, it doesn't look good. Lots of explosions, which is very much not what Star Trek is about.

Yes and no. Voyager was generally promoted by UPN as an "action" show and they filled its promos with action scenes and explosions. It's not a well put together trailer, though, as it's too all-over-the-place and the song is really annoying. I reaaaaaallly hope we're not going to have to suffer through another Diane Warren/Rod Stewart debacle like the Enterprise theme song. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh. 

I think the visuals look good and as a fan of SF shows there is so little to choose from that I'm guaranteed to try this.

The plot does not look intriguing, and nor do the characters. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, SpaceChampion said:

Nicholas Meyer rumoured to be working on a Khan (post-Space Seed) prequel series.

yay more filling in of gaps we don't need filled!

At this stage there'll be a trek at some point that will be set between two episodes of TOS based on a decent gap in the star date.

At least it is Nicholas Meyer otherwise it'd be utterly pointless.

On 2017-07-23 at 8:22 AM, Aemon Stark said:

Yes and no. Voyager was generally promoted by UPN as an "action" show and they filled its promos with action scenes and explosions. It's not a well put together trailer, though, as it's too all-over-the-place and the song is really annoying. I reaaaaaallly hope we're not going to have to suffer through another Diane Warren/Rod Stewart debacle like the Enterprise theme song. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh. 

Voyager was billed as an action show? The fuck?

16 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

On a related note, the Seth Macfarlane vehicle Star Trek/Galaxy Quest spoof thing is looking promising...

The Jon Favreau aspect has me more excited than the Seth MacFarlane factor. Although, I have to admit that does look pretty fun and given the official Trek adapatations flying around is probably as close to Trek as they can get without lawyers scrutinising. It's actually surprising how similar they can make it. Hell, some of the aliens in that trailer look as much like Klingons as Disovery's do!

The other bonus is that it isn't official trek so I can watch that without fear of it not fitting in. That and not actually knowing where it all ultimately ends up - although with a comedy that's usually not a big issue anyhow.

14 hours ago, red snow said:

The Jon Favreau aspect has me more excited than the Seth MacFarlane factor. Although, I have to admit that does look pretty fun and given the official Trek adapatations flying around is probably as close to Trek as they can get without lawyers scrutinising. It's actually surprising how similar they can make it. Hell, some of the aliens in that trailer look as much like Klingons as Disovery's do!

The other bonus is that it isn't official trek so I can watch that without fear of it not fitting in. That and not actually knowing where it all ultimately ends up - although with a comedy that's usually not a big issue anyhow.

What'll be great, if MacFarlane's new show does take off, will he exploit the relationships he's built with Patrick Stewart and some of the other Trek folks to get them to do a guest spot... 

10 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

What'll be great, if MacFarlane's new show does take off, will he exploit the relationships he's built with Patrick Stewart and some of the other Trek folks to get them to do a guest spot... 

That's a good point. He does have a good relationship with Stewart and quite a few other celebs with geek cred. I imagine Stewart would be fine with parodying himself - i just wonder whether he can play a role which would obviously be Picard. Especially given this show makes no pretense about emulating trek. Maybe he could play an alien or some redneck farmer on planet farm. I'd be surprised if this show doesn't have redneck planet. Trek was always selling peaceful farm community planets - it's begging for a parody where the inhabitants are all shotgunphaser "get off ma land" types where everyone is suspiciously of a single ethnic group.

10 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

Fuller explains that his plan was for an anthology series.

On the one hand, I loved the idea of an anthology series and it seemed like most people were disappointed with the news that that wasn't going to happen. On the other, given that Fuller (I assume) was responsible for these Klingons, would we want a series that looks this Kelvin-y and explode-y encroaching even further on the periods we know and love? Of Kirk and Picard? It does make more sense that he set in when he did though, if the intention was to give us a tour of the centuries. So now we're stuck with a series set strangely close to another, when Fuller probably wouldn't have bothered if he knew it wasn't anthology, and CBS probably wouldn't have bothered if they knew Fuller would leave. Great. And I also assume this is a one season idea of Fuller's that's now been stretched out for future seasons. Great.

Having it be a prequel to the original is problematic especially when you consider the fact that the original series was made in the 60's and  looks like  a science fiction series made in the 60' Discovery is 21st century series and it look way more advnace the the original series. It's a bit too much disbelief to suspend . Then there are  the uniforms, if this is 10 years before the original shouldn't the uniform be in the stye of Captain Pikes Era? And Mr Spock having an adopted human sister? That is a bit of a stretch right there.   Then there is the reimagined Klingons , they look like the ones in the Kelvin Timeline.

• 1 month later...
On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 5:56 AM, GAROVORKIN said:

The jokes fell flat and for series  which trying to be comic, this could be a problem.

I liked the scene in the holodeck simulation. I reminded me of something you'd see Steve Smith doing on American Dad.

I've noticed a few episodes have been directed by some Star Trek alums.

What is a bit weird is that The Orville is apparently a "dramedy", or a show which is actually straight-up dramatic but with a comedy bent to it, which seemed to completely take reviewers aback who'd been waiting for Blue Harvest: The TV Show But With Star Trek Rather Than Star Wars, Y'Know? instead. Certainly the trailers all made it look like an outright comedy show.

Archived