Star Trek: Discovery

Werthead

On 9/10/2017 at 1:14 PM, SpaceChampion said:

State of the Galaxy when STD starts.

First... where can I find the full timeline that they were using as their background image early in the video?  Really liked the look of it.

Second... regarding the speculation that they included as spoilers:

Spoiler

WTF?!!!?  A temporal event that puts this show into a third timeline?!!!?  Separate from Kelvin and Prime?!!!?

That would be going entirely too far.

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

Hide contents

WTF?!!!?  A temporal event that puts this show into a third timeline?!!!?  Separate from Kelvin and Prime?!!!?

That would be going entirely too far.

That's been speculated for a while.  Its about the only thing thatll make, at least at this point, the show in any way workable.  Let us all hope it goes away quickly and doesn't damage the Trek brand any more than JJ already has...

9 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

That's been speculated for a while.  Its about the only thing thatll make, at least at this point, the show in any way workable.  Let us all hope it goes away quickly and doesn't damage the Trek brand any more than JJ already has...

I saw a video months ago that suggested that same thing. I think they're attempting to satisfy long time fans and lure in fans of the JJ Verse. I don't know how anyone could think it's a good idea but we shall see.

3 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Why do the writers of Star Trek films and shows seem to hate existing canon so much?

Because they are script writers. All script writers hate having to conform to canon or rules. Star Trek worked because Gene Roddenberry kept the writers on a short leash. A Science Fiction or Fantasy franchise needs a steward who watches over canon and continuity or it goes down the drain really fast. Cases in point: Lost and Battlestar Galactica. The latter was actually run by a former Star Trek writer and look what a mess he made of the show when he had free rein.

6 minutes ago, Loge said:

Because they are script writers. All script writers hate having to conform to canon or rules. Star Trek worked because Gene Roddenberry kept the writers on a short leash. A Science Fiction or Fantasy franchise needs a steward who watches over canon and continuity or it goes down the drain really fast. Cases in point: Lost and Battlestar Galactica. The latter was actually run by a former Star Trek writer and look what a mess he made of the show when he had free rein.

I guess I don't understand, if they are writing within a given mythos, why they feel so constrained by canon?  If someone is writing a story about the Norse or Greek Gods wouldn't it be really strange if they decided to create a God in that mythos who was the superior to Odin or Zeus after those two gain their kingships without giving any expanation.  It's like being pissed that their are rules that make a Sonnet a Sonnet and complaining that you can't call something written outside the rhythm and rhyme scheme for a sonnet a sonnet.

12 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

I saw a video months ago that suggested that same thing. I think they're attempting to satisfy long time fans and lure in fans of the JJ Verse. I don't know how anyone could think it's a good idea but we shall see.

It's not a good idea. Never was. But the powers that be aren't asking me what's gonna be good for Trek... :P

10 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

STD theme song preview:

Eh......beats the crap out of Enterprise that's for sure. Not really a fan of how much it leans on TOS, and the mood feels more like the Expanse than previous Trek themes. Was looking for a nice warm major key piece.

Surely these 3rd timelines rumours are BS right? That'd be weak by anyone's standard, just ripping off the exact same trick? I'm still pretty confident it'll be 'Prime but we won't dwell on it', there's not enough motivation to do anything else.

Did anyone catch The Orville? I'd seen that it was a drama with comedy elements, while the network seem to promote it as pure comedy. Seth's a big Trek fan ....... anybody?

2 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

Did anyone catch The Orville? I'd seen that it was a drama with comedy elements, while the network seem to promote it as pure comedy. Seth's a big Trek fan ....... anybody?

Meh. Mildly amusing? It is very very Treky, but I'd rather rewatch TNG. The addition of workplace-based sitcom elements undercuts the drama, without providing enough laughs to compensate. And I think it failed the Bechdel test, despite having three women in the main cast. I'll probably give it another episode or two to see if it improves.

4 hours ago, felice said:

Meh. Mildly amusing? It is very very Treky, but I'd rather rewatch TNG. The addition of workplace-based sitcom elements undercuts the drama, without providing enough laughs to compensate. And I think it failed the Bechdel test, despite having three women in the main cast. I'll probably give it another episode or two to see if it improves.

Yeah I felt the same way, I'm willing to write it off as it being the first episode. I hope they make good use of the women in the cast.

On 13/09/2017 at 8:12 AM, DaveSumm said:

Eh......beats the crap out of Enterprise that's for sure. Not really a fan of how much it leans on TOS, and the mood feels more like the Expanse than previous Trek themes. Was looking for a nice warm major key piece.

Well, when they shorten it for long episodes it'll just sound like TOS I guess?

On 12/09/2017 at 5:44 PM, Cas Stark said:

Because they're lazy.  And not interested in Star Trek, but in making money.

I'd add ego to it as well in the sense they want to put their mark on the franchise.

51 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

It does indeed feel like their attempts to appeal to new and old audiences tends to repel the other group rather than endear them to the group they are aiming for.

The review embargo is very worrying.  I guess we can hope it's just because they have a surprise reveal/twist in the opener rather than it being shit. Although if they are just hiding the fact Jason Isaacs dies in the first episode they'd be saving us more from a surprise if he doesn't.

The third timeline and talk of a mirror universe episode has me wondering if it's sort of talking about the same thing? What if this show is set in the mirror universe of either existing timelines? It'd give them some scope for mixing things up and having more "conflict" within the show. I can't rememember how far back we've seen the mirror universe but maybe this would allow them to indulge in continuity light nonsense?

33 minutes ago, red snow said:

It does indeed feel like their attempts to appeal to new and old audiences tends to repel the other group rather than endear them to the group they are aiming for.

The review embargo is very worrying.  I guess we can hope it's just because they have a surprise reveal/twist in the opener rather than it being shit. Although if they are just hiding the fact Jason Isaacs dies in the first episode they'd be saving us more from a surprise if he doesn't.

The third timeline and talk of a mirror universe episode has me wondering if it's sort of talking about the same thing? What if this show is set in the mirror universe of either existing timelines? It'd give them some scope for mixing things up and having more "conflict" within the show. I can't rememember how far back we've seen the mirror universe but maybe this would allow them to indulge in continuity light nonsense?

Based on previews, I don't think Isaacs will die (early or at all). It seems he plays the Discovery's captain, with Sonequa Martin-Green playing the main character, the ship's XO. But her character starts on another ship, commanded by Michelle Yeoh. So I think it will be Yeoh that dies first episode.

Archived