Star Trek: Discovery

Werthead

On 9/12/2017 at 0:30 PM, Loge said:

Because they are script writers. All script writers hate having to conform to canon or rules. Star Trek worked because Gene Roddenberry kept the writers on a short leash. A Science Fiction or Fantasy franchise needs a steward who watches over canon and continuity or it goes down the drain really fast. Cases in point: Lost and Battlestar Galactica. The latter was actually run by a former Star Trek writer and look what a mess he made of the show when he had free rein.

If you look closely at the original series , they didn't always follow the Canon 

42 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Based on previews, I don't think Isaacs will die (early or at all). It seems he plays the Discovery's captain, with Sonequa Martin-Green playing the main character, the ship's XO. But her character starts on another ship, commanded by Michelle Yeoh. So I think it will be Yeoh that dies first episode.

Ah right, I thought Isaacs was playing the captain that would die but it sounds like Michelle Yeoh is the sacrificial lamb.

I've heard very little about Isaac's character but he usually does good work.

1 hour ago, red snow said:

The third timeline and talk of a mirror universe episode has me wondering if it's sort of talking about the same thing? What if this show is set in the mirror universe of either existing timelines? It'd give them some scope for mixing things up and having more "conflict" within the show. I can't rememember how far back we've seen the mirror universe but maybe this would allow them to indulge in continuity light nonsense?

Enterprise implied that the mirror universe kicked off with Cochran shooting the vulcans instead of shaking their hand, Discovery takes place when the Terran Empire would be in full force. I never really liked it much, it can be fun for some characters but I can't really take it seriously when it's ultimately the 'everyone's a bastard' universe. I still can't see them doing this third timeline thing, I mean how the hell do you write the exposition for that in a way casual and hardcore fans will follow that wouldn't be horribly jarring? 

I can't make my mind up about The Orville. It can be pretty funny, but it's limited in how much it can send up Star Trek when it's trying to take itself seriously. On the other hand, if I ask myself 'did Star Trek have worse episodes than this?' the answer comes back 'fuck yes, all the time'. I'll stick with it. Even bracing myself for this being Seth MacFarlane just wanting to make Star Trek, I can't believe quite how much it is Star Trek. Literally change the logos, the uniforms, remove a little humour, you've got Star Trek.

1 hour ago, GAROVORKIN said:

If you look closely at the original series , they didn't always follow the Canon 

Was it that they didn't follow canon?  Or that they didn't have one yet.

Kirk at one point says they are with "Youspah" the United Earth Space Agency.

But this is before the concept of the Federation had been established.

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

Was it that they didn't follow canon?  Or that they didn't have one yet.

Kirk at one point says they are with "Youspah" the United Earth Space Agency.

But this is before the concept of the Federation had been established.

The Trek Episode A Taste of Armageddon. 

The Federation decides that want to establish relations with  the Planet Elminar VII eve though that planet has no wish to have relations with the federation.  They decide to mettle the affairs of  Elminiar VII and its rival Vendicar. At the orders of the federation ambassador Robert Fox . And what about General order 24? how does that not conflict with the ideals of the Federation? What happened to the Non interference directive ?

Enterprise implied that the mirror universe kicked off with Cochran shooting the vulcans instead of shaking their hand, 

That's one point of divergence but not the original one. The occasional use of Roman terms and a mention of "the gods" suggests that the point of divergence may have been 2,000+ years earlier.

On 9/19/2017 at 2:39 AM, GAROVORKIN said:

The Trek Episode A Taste of Armageddon. 

The Federation decides that want to establish relations with  the Planet Elminar VII eve though that planet has no wish to have relations with the federation.  They decide to mettle the affairs of  Elminiar VII and its rival Vendicar. At the orders of the federation ambassador Robert Fox . And what about General order 24? how does that not conflict with the ideals of the Federation? What happened to the Non interference directive ?

I'm not sure that there was much of a canon before the Next Generation. There certainly wasn't when the first season aired. And back then TV was on the air only. There was no way for the audience to record and rewatch it, so continuity wasn't a big issue.

4 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

Hmmm

Are you more excited for Discovery now than you were before? Or are you still skeptical and raising a Spock-like eyebrow? Be sure to let us know down below in the comments.

Count me in the Spock like eyebrow column.

On 21/09/2017 at 7:24 PM, Ferrum Aeternum said:

I would be perfectly satisfied with that.

I'd take barely recognisable and brilliant over faithful and shit any day. Although I'd argue it wasn't necessary to use Trek if it's that hard to recognize. Not that this is necessarily the case. Will be watching on Monday in UK on netflix to find out.

1 hour ago, SpaceChampion said:

So, the whole thing has a season long arc after all?

I must have missed the part where this wasn't going to be the case anymore? Only thing I'd heard being dropped in terms of approach was the rumoured season anthology approach.

On Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 1:06 AM, Loge said:

I'm not sure that there was much of a canon before the Next Generation. There certainly wasn't when the first season aired. And back then TV was on the air only. There was no way for the audience to record and rewatch it, so continuity wasn't a big issue.

Not an Issue?  People memorized the scripts long before vcr's, let alone dvd's and Netflix. Trekkies were committed to knowing every detail.

I'm pretty sure Star Trek continuity has always been pretty shitty. Remember when the Federation agreed to limit warp speed except for emergencies? Neither did DS9 or Voyager. The Trill in that TNG episode are so different from what we see in DS9. Sometimes you can't exceed warp 9.9, other times you can. One time doing so turned you into a lizard, for some reason. The one that bugs me the most is probably the nature of the Borg changing from an unemotional hive mind to a queen controlling everything. (also if you wanna assimilate Earth maybe send more than one cube next time? Just saying, queen.)

Archived