Star Trek: Discovery

Werthead

28 minutes ago, red snow said:

I don't think it'll necessarily kill the show. I think what's more likely to happen if internationally the show is doing great on netflix but sinking on CBS all access, is they'll simply shift the show onto CBS and see how it fares there. Maybe airing it a day after All access?

They'd be incredibly stupid to kill a show if it is an international success yet bombs domestically because of terrible scheduling. Maybe CBS thought "If we're doing SF we should copy that broadcaster called syfy"? Because it makes syfy look like masterminds of promoting their shows.

I just hope it kills All Access.

1 hour ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

I pay the 12 dollar Hulu to get no commercials. But if I didn't get to see Charles Vain hang dong I'd be pissed.

I can barely afford Netflix so paying for the privilege no commercials on multiple platforms is out of the question.  

20 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

It's completely free in Canada on our Space channel, plus it is also available on CraveTV which is Bell's sucky streaming service.  As far as I know, it's not on Netflix Canada.

Yeah I watched it on Space and I guess I'll continue to do so. 

Crave actually has a pretty good catalogue; it just has the worst software ever. I get it free following some "negotiations" with Bell. Never say that agreeing to switch to Rogers doesn't have benefits. 

Ok so the second episode felt way more like standard Star Trek. The focus was more on character development than on the space battle.
Bummer. On the plus side, Burnham's character development is great.
The one thing that really bothered me in episode 2 was

The captain and first officer going together on a suicide mission? Just the two of them? Really? Isn't there a starfleet regulation against that? I know Michelle Yeoh's character had to die, but they could have found a better way to do that. It would have made more sense if the klingons were the ones to board the federation ship... Because sending the two highest ranking officers on an enemy vessel (even if one was relieved of duty) is moronic.

And in other news, the promo for episode 3 -and season 1 as a whole- is up, and it looks really cool:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJssNjoC83w

How badly will the pay wall hurt this series?

Not at all. What people missed is CBS announcing that its deal with Netflix (which included all of the other Trek series) was for massive bucks and this has rendered Star Trek: Discovery profitable before it was even shown. Discovery's fate is secure for however long the Netflix deal was for (which may have been 5 years). However, if it doesn't shift subscriptions in the States, then All Access could fail.

I think people are underestimating how determined CBS are, however. Right now CBS, ABC and NBC are Sega circa 1995: proud creators of original content and appearing unassailable, and relaxed about the threat from streaming/PlayStation. They are going to end up as producers of content (like ABC is for the Marvel Netflix shows) only, losing their dominance, if they don't try to create their own competing space. NBC has its deal with Hulu and CBS now want to create their own Netflix-alike to stay relevant and stay in the game. The problem is that they may have joined the party too late: if people are paying every month for Netflix and Hulu and Amazon, there is no way they're going to pay for yet another channel.

When the dust settles, we're probably going to have fewer services than we do now, and the likes of CBS are going to be reduced to content-creators for those services. That's why they're betting everything on All Access, and won't give up the fight easily.

19 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Not at all. What people missed is CBS announcing that its deal with Netflix (which included all of the other Trek series) was for massive bucks and this has rendered Star Trek: Discovery profitable before it was even shown. Discovery's fate is secure for however long the Netflix deal was for (which may have been 5 years). However, if it doesn't shift subscriptions in the States, then All Access could fail.

I think people are underestimating how determined CBS are, however. Right now CBS, ABC and NBC are Sega circa 1995: proud creators of original content and appearing unassailable, and relaxed about the threat from streaming/PlayStation. They are going to end up as producers of content (like ABC is for the Marvel Netflix shows) only, losing their dominance, if they don't try to create their own competing space. NBC has its deal with Hulu and CBS now want to create their own Netflix-alike to stay relevant and stay in the game. The problem is that they may have joined the party too late: if people are paying every month for Netflix and Hulu and Amazon, there is no way they're going to pay for yet another channel.

When the dust settles, we're probably going to have fewer services than we do now, and the likes of CBS are going to be reduced to content-creators for those services. That's why they're betting everything on All Access, and won't give up the fight easily.

I don't understand why they don't put this on regular broadcast TV.

Surely its not hard to understand. They want to sell the All Access platform and it needs to have a unique product to get people to buy it. But until it has sufficient unique products its a poor value proposition for the customer, so they're going with ST:D as their huge flagship show to try drive people onto it. Whether it succeeds or not is up in the air, but its clear that is what they are going for.

2 minutes ago, karaddin said:

Surely its not hard to understand. They want to sell the All Access platform and it needs to have a unique product to get people to buy it. But until it has sufficient unique products its a poor value proposition for the customer, so they're going with ST:D as their huge flagship show to try drive people onto it. Whether it succeeds or not is up in the air, but its clear that is what they are going for.

It makes sense but is frustrating.  I'm not going to pay for such a service.  I'll have to wait for some other way to watch the show.  The bits and pieces I've seen do look interesting, even if the Klingons look, odd.

No argument on the frustration. I've seen comments today on twitter that the rest of the series is going to be very different to the pilot, that there was major rewriting of the direction after that. I did see there were some new cast show released, the Discovery's doctor?

9 hours ago, karaddin said:

No argument on the frustration. I've seen comments today on twitter that the rest of the series is going to be very different to the pilot, that there was major rewriting of the direction after that. I did see there were some new cast show released, the Discovery's doctor?

I have only seen the few clips that have been dropped to youtube.

I don't understand why they don't put this on regular broadcast TV.

Amongst many other reasons, they couldn't afford it. Making the show they way they have and selling it to Netflix internationally has allowed them to drop a massive budget on the show, which as a standard broadcast show would not be possible.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

Amongst many other reasons, they couldn't afford it. Making the show they way they have and selling it to Netflix internationally has allowed them to drop a massive budget on the show, which as a standard broadcast show would not be possible.

I think the question is, since they've made a profit already, why not air it on both CBS and All Access? Kind of how HBO got HBO Now going: have the normal TV broadcast for those who haven't cut the cord, but suck in cord cutters with new original content they can watch simultaneously with the broadcast.

Obviously, one big reason is that HBO has a much better content portfolio and a brand that would draw people to HBO Now, whereas CBS just doesn't. But if they'd worked on it, I think they'd have found more success this way.

2 hours ago, fionwe1987 said:

I think the question is, since they've made a profit already, why not air it on both CBS and All Access? Kind of how HBO got HBO Now going: have the normal TV broadcast for those who haven't cut the cord, but suck in cord cutters with new original content they can watch simultaneously with the broadcast.

Obviously, one big reason is that HBO has a much better content portfolio and a brand that would draw people to HBO Now, whereas CBS just doesn't. But if they'd worked on it, I think they'd have found more success this way.

I have a strong suspicion that Discovery will air on CBS "properly" either a few months down the road or just before Season 2 arrives on All Access, as a way to try to encourage people to sign up.

On 29/09/2017 at 3:47 AM, karaddin said:

Fuller was credited as a writer on the first episode (can't remember if he was involved in the second) and he left the show so it could well be the following episodes are different.

10 hours ago, fionwe1987 said:

I think the question is, since they've made a profit already, why not air it on both CBS and All Access?

Because they are trying to force people to use all access. Why bother paying for all access when you could just watch it on CBS? Perhaps a better model would to have at least had a "free 1 month trial" so people could sample Trek and whatever other content is there for a month? No idea if this is the case as I'm not in America but I'm sure that's how Netflix and Amazon prime hook new subscribers by putting something like "daredevil" on to draw people in and hope they stay for the overall content.

8 hours ago, Summer Bass said:

I'm going to wait for the season to end, then hope it ends up for sale on Amazon Video or elsewhere. I don't want to pay for another video subscription service when I'm already paying for Prime, Netflix, and cable in general. 

I don't know if amazon prime video sells netflix programming (they don't in the UK). They also don't sell digital versions of star trek. So I'd imagine given the deal CBS has struck with Netflix you are more likely to see the show via your netflix account than Amazon Prime.

Archived