Star Trek: Discovery

Werthead

10 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

So I'm guessing she's half-Vulcan?

She's got a human name, so I don't think so. Maybe she was raised on Vulcan as a kid?

Spock being an amazingly rare dude for being half-Vulcan seems a bit undone if there's another one running around.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

She's got a human name, so I don't think so. Maybe she was raised on Vulcan as a kid?

Spock being an amazingly rare dude for being half-Vulcan seems a bit undone if there's another one running around.

I'm getting the impression Spock has a sister we never heard of...

13 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

And wouldn't that just be taking a piss out of the whole canon?

As it stands, we can only hope this show dies a quick death, and because it's only on the pay to watch platform, everyone forgets it existed...

2 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

As it stands, we can only hope this show dies a quick death, and because it's only on the pay to watch platform, everyone forgets it existed...

What do you suppose the odds are on us ever getting another Star Trek series if that happened?

27 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

What do you suppose the odds are on us ever getting another Star Trek series if that happened?

Ever? 100%. But yeah it may be another ten or fifteen years. But sooner or later anything with that much nostalgic value would be revived and rebooted. 

Edit: and I also would rather have no Star Trek than bad Star Trek. 

5 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

4 hours ago, RumHam said:

This.

There is enough out there to keep me content.  Plus, I enjoy a great many of the novels, so that's a continuation I enjoy. 

Say, "No!" to bad Trek!

22 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

And wouldn't that just be taking a piss out of the whole canon?

Would that be any different than Sybok?

On 6/2/2017 at 9:44 AM, Werthead said:

I'm thinking this will likely be the answer. And it might explain why she is called "Michael" - the Vulcans that raised her gave her what they knew to be a human name, without realising it's a boys names. (Perhaps Vulcans don't have any concept of gender specific names?)

8 hours ago, AndrewJ said:

I'm thinking this will likely be the answer. And it might explain why she is called "Michael" - the Vulcans that raised her gave her what they knew to be a human name, without realising it's a boys names. (Perhaps Vulcans don't have any concept of gender specific names?)

But... don't they canonically have? Women's names usually begin with consonant/apostroph/consonant like T'Pol, T'Prinn etc. while male names are more fluid. If anything, 'Michael' or pretty much most of human given names should sound male to a Vulcan.

Well apart from that, I'm on Jaxom's side here. I want good Star Trek. I want optimistic Star Trek. No generic war story with generic faceless villains who are labelled with the name of the far more interesting Klingon brand we all know. The trailer caused nothing but a yawn in me. Well, and the expectation that this ship and that Asian captain will get shredded by Klingons in the first episodd so that the survivors can crew the Discovery. Because that would be the story I have seen a thousand times elsewhere. If they really do that, it's like they would have previewed DS9 by telling how awesome the adventures of the USS Saratoga will be.

Well, I think I do fine, pretending it doesn't exist, taking my dosis of new Trek from STO and Axanar instead...

On 02/06/2017 at 7:05 PM, RumHam said:

Theresa May has a similar stance.

On 02/06/2017 at 6:39 PM, DaveSumm said:

There'd a few years wait again. Maybe a push to actually do the film universe as the next show? Techinically the new films haven't failed yet while the prime universe ones did die off over time.

Maybe meet people half way and have a next gen series based on the recent films.

To be honest it looks very unlikely we'll get a continuation of the original time-line either way outside of fanfic.

On 02/06/2017 at 1:49 AM, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I'd give them credit for finding a way to make me even more irked by the "young spock" storyline if this is the case. At least make it dark and have her as a human "pet".

The only thing worse than prequels is having child versions of popular characters exist in them. Characters should be allowed to have normal, non-eventful childhoods. Events can make people's lives interesting at any point but prequel shows try and make it seem they've been destined for greatness from conception onwards.

I watched a video last night which suggests that even though they are saying the new show is in the Prime timeline but that it is a third timeline distinct from Prime or Kelvin. And that they cut Bryan Fuller loose because they didn't want to be bound by the Canon. 

1 hour ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

I watched a video last night which suggests that even though they are saying the new show is in the Prime timeline but that it is a third timeline distinct from Prime or Kelvin. And that they cut Bryan Fuller loose because they didn't want to be bound by the Canon. 

I imagine that will be the official stance if this show is a flop. Although it should be quickly apparant if it isn't bound by continuity of either film or shows. In a weird way it might be a better show for the viewers too as all the negatives I've pointed out are gone if it's a new continuity.

Then there's just the issue of whether people will accept a third iteration of Star trek.

23 minutes ago, red snow said:

I imagine that will be the official stance if this show is a flop. Although it should be quickly apparant if it isn't bound by continuity of either film or shows. In a weird way it might be a better show for the viewers too as all the negatives I've pointed out are gone if it's a new continuity.

Then there's just the issue of whether people will accept a third iteration of Star trek.

The gist of the video was the footage showed to focus groups tested poorly among both fans of the Prime Universe and the Kelvin Universe. I'll try and find the link. 

It's kind of long but some of this stuff makes sense.  

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking back on the rumour that the lead might be Spock's step-sister or something and was wondering whether it would be interesting allegory or just offensive for them to possibly play with the idea that a human identifies as another alien species? Not a hybrid, simply they feel they are more Vulcan than human. Personally, I think it would be too much of a risk and can understand viewers wanting them to have real-life identity issues portrayed in the show.

Archived