Star Trek: Discovery

Werthead

• 3 weeks later...

Might be a bit off-topic but I have been rewatching Enterprise and I hope that Vulcans will be portrayed as complete and utter dickwads again.

I really like that part of Enterprise for some reason.

No we are not sharing our knowledge and technology! Why? Because you smell awful!:stillsick:

I feel bad for Tuvok and the other Vulcan guy now .... 70 years among humans! ;) 

I'm eager to see if CBS can break the broadcast mold (of making vapid, predictable, trope-filled terrible television) with their "all access" venue... It's Star Trek, so I doubt that I wont love it.... But I'm glad that its not airing on CBS proper...

Besides the DC shows on the CW, I don't know if I watch anything on Broadcast TV.... and I watch a lot of TV.

I don't know how credible this article is, but apparently an answer about the storyline is finally revealed:

Spoiler

Set during or leading to The Four Years War with the Klingons.  Which that Axanar fan film was also about, so obvious why it was stomped.

The name for Sonequa Martin-Green's character is Number One, Lt. Commander Rainsford.  I don't know if this is correct, wasn't she suppose to be a Lt. not an Lt. Commander?  The latter is a bridge officer, which doesn't make the character sound like a radical departure.

17 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

Is there an in-show reference to it?

No, as far as I'm aware the show itself doesn't even specify that the Battle of Axanar involved Klingons. Considering how long the fan film has been in development, it seems possible that if Discovery really is going to deal with the same events, it was inspired by the fan film rather than a thirty year old RPG supplement...

On Sunday, January 01, 2017 at 7:35 PM, Martini Sigil said:

I'm eager to see if CBS can break the broadcast mold (of making vapid, predictable, trope-filled terrible television) with their "all access" venue... It's Star Trek, so I doubt that I wont love it.... But I'm glad that its not airing on CBS proper...

Besides the DC shows on the CW, I don't know if I watch anything on Broadcast TV.... and I watch a lot of TV.

The decision to not air this as a broadcast show will kill it ultimately.  

32 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

The decision to not air this as a broadcast show will kill it ultimately.  

Truth.

The install base is just too small.  Clearly Netflix and Amazon Prime have the numbers there to support some fantastic shows, but I don't see CBS as having the same access.  An interesting study in old media vs new media isn't it?

The name for Sonequa Martin-Green's character is Number One, Lt. Commander Rainsford.  I don't know if this is correct, wasn't she suppose to be a Lt. not an Lt. Commander?  The latter is a bridge officer, which doesn't make the character sound like a radical departure.

No, I think she was always a Lt. Commander.

45 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

Can't quote for some reason but @Rhom....

The show's already profitable on international sales I believe, so I'm hoping that gives it a bit of a safety net, that watching in pretty much every country except the US is much easier.

I had a lot of trouble quoting for a while, then I realized that I had to specifically click on the reply box and have the cursor down there before hitting the quote button; don't know if that's what is going on with yours though.

Seems backwards to me.  Profitable is one thing, but becoming socially relevant and being the kind of show people talk about is another.

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if there's a legal reason why they can't re-use Ben Cross from the Abrams movies? A bit odd they're re-using a TOS character right off the bat, but it could be interesting. Certainly Frain is an excellent actor, even if he is showing up in absolutely everything right now.

59 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I wonder if there's a legal reason why they can't re-use Ben Cross from the Abrams movies? A bit odd they're re-using a TOS character right off the bat, but it could be interesting. Certainly Frain is an excellent actor, even if he is showing up in absolutely everything right now.

could just be the actor isn't interested/is busy or they simply want to distinguish themselves from the movies?

I like Frain a lot so hope he's a regular. If he is do we know much about the character's past? Could he fit into the show without bending the character too much? Given how he fell out with Spock for joining starfleet it would seem odd if he turns out to have been on a starfleet ship? Of course they could dodge around it by simply having him involved in an alliance with starfleet. Or even have him in starfleet and we see why he'd grow to hate the institution so much. Which I guess could be interesting.

Personally I'd rather the show didn't tie itself down by using established characters but they've already happily done so by setting the show in a narrow window of the past. Unless they follow through on the anthology aspect and flit around the timelines from season to season.

Archived