Would anyone else stop the Mad King?

Winter prince

1 hour ago, dariopatke said:

I have another question, if ser Barristan fe killed Rossart and is outside throne room, Ned walks in with his men , what would he do? Kill Aers? Imprison him and present him to Robert? Sorry for going off topic.

Off topic, but brings up an awesome scenario.  I imagine Ser Barristan would fight to death and Aerys would be arrested

46 minutes ago, Lurid Jester said:

Rhaella was weak and unable to protect herself.

I think they would have stood by and let it happen, warm and confortable in their belief that they were just doing their duty. 

Why do you think that they would have just stood by and let themselves and 500,000 people die? Just cause they like Jaime stood by and didn't do anything about Rhaella getting raped? Or the Highborn Lords getting burned alive? Why does Jaime get a pass for not doing anything until his life was at stake while the other KG get demonized? Is it because we get his POV? Or his corny one liners and jokes? Or because he can be semi interesting like all of GRRM characters and we know little to nothing about the other KG? 

Also the Jaime Lannister we are introduced to in AGOT would have surely stood aside and let Kings Landing burn, he certainly sat and watched as his father/house, countrymen raped and murdered KL. He would have also let Sansa be beaten and raped by Joffery and his fellow brothers but let's define and praise him for killing Aerys when most likely I think the rest of the KG would have done the same thing.   

He also is to blame for any of that wildfire killing anybody. He has sat on that dangerous information for years never caring how it could be used in the future yet didn't care because he's a piece of shit who only cares about himself in the end. 

8 minutes ago, The Wolves said:

He also is to blame for any of that wildfire killing anybody. He has sat on that dangerous information for years never caring how it could be used in the future yet didn't care because he's a piece of shit who only cares about himself in the end. 

Whew. You clearly feel very passionately about this.  He totally only cares about himself.  Totally.  You're logic is also a little flawed.

What about that bear pit he jumped into?  One handed and unarmed?  Wait, no. Never mind. Forget I mentioned it.  

Oh, and his brother?  Didn't he save his brother?  Again, sorry.  Forget I brought it up.  

Sure Jamie is a grey character.  One good act does not negate a bad one.   Hell, Jamie's a dark grey actually, and he's done some horrible shit in his life (pitched a boy out a window, over reacted when his brother was abducted in the kings road... and. Uh.  That other horrible thing he did. What was it?) but don't rail at people for painting in broad strokes and then do the exact same thing. 

Anyway, about your flawed logic.  You could also argue that KL was saved since the wildfire was there for Cersie and Tyrion to learn about and take advantage of when Stannis attacked.  It's the same basic logic as laying any resulting deaths at his feet. 

Knew about the wildfire - wildfire kills someone - Jamie killed that person.

Knew about the wildfire - wildfire saves someone - Jamie saved that person. 

6 minutes ago, Lurid Jester said:

Whew. You clearly feel very passionately about this.  He totally only cares about himself.  Totally.  You're logic is also a little flawed.

What about that bear pit he jumped into?  One handed and unarmed?  Wait, no. Never mind. Forget I mentioned it.  

Oh, and his brother?  Didn't he save his brother?  Again, sorry.  Forget I brought it up.  

Sure Jamie is a grey character.  One good act does not negate a bad one.   Hell, Jamie's a dark grey actually, and he's done some horrible shit in his life (pitched a boy out a window, over reacted when his brother was abducted in the kings road... and. Uh.  That other horrible thing he did. What was it?) but don't rail at people for painting in broad strokes and then do the exact same thing. 

Anyway, about your flawed logic.  You could also argue that KL was saved since the wildfire was there for Cersie and Tyrion to learn about and take advantage of when Stannis attacked.  It's the same basic logic as laying any resulting deaths at his feet. 

Knew about the wildfire - wildfire kills someone - Jamie killed that person.

Knew about the wildfire - wildfire saves someone - Jamie saved that person. 

Jaime helped start the worst war the country has ever seen plus helped weaken it for the ice zombie apocalypse, that's the other worst thing he ever did. I wish Jaime fans would stop forgetting the part he played in starting a war and still doesn't care about it. 

Jaime jumped in the bear pit to make himself feel good to try and paint himself in a better light to show Brienne and himself he's not a piece of shit. 

And no the wildfire did not save KL when many would agree that Westeros/KL would be in a better place if Stannis had won Blackwater, so stop grasping at anything and everything to paint Jaime in a better light. 

Fact is Jaime is not better than the other KG cause he decided to finally stop Aerys when it was very easy too(no KG to tell him what to do, his life in danger along with his father, uncles, and fellow country men, etc...)any other KG is just as capable of stopping Aerys when 500,000 lives are at stake, Jaime is not the only one. 

8 hours ago, Winter prince said:

If it wasn't Jaime guarding the Mad King would anyone else have stopped him when he went to burn the city? 

The honor debate between Ned Stark and Ser Barristan got me thinking; would Barristan the Bold kill the King and save the people?  Probably not.

I think that Jaime is the only member of the KG that would go through with it.  I think most the others would stand idly by, but this isn't about me... What do you think?

Well, since it was a defining moment for his character and part of hte plot that sent him on the journey to where he was captured by Robb, I theink he was the ponly character that could do it 

I think that by the time of Robert's rebellion all KG were in Rhaegar's pockets. Hence why 4 of the best KG were in Rhaegar's army  (Barristan was with Rhaegar, Dayne, Hightower and Whent were at the tower of joy) while Jamie ended up backstabbing the mad king. They might have killed Aerys if Rhaegar was still alive

11 hours ago, Lurid Jester said:

What are the lives of a few small folk to the honor of a knight?  I'm exaggerating of course, but I think the veteran KG would weigh their personal honor (and the loss of it if they disobeyed or stood against the king) as a much higher cost than a city and it's inhabitants. 

Remember the world they live in. A world where a family line is expunged because of the sins of the lord.  A world where raping and pillaging is carried out by the armies of the "good" guys. 

Life is cheap in Westeros. 

But who needs to know that KG killed Rossart? Lets say Barristam kills Rossart, returns to Aerys and dies fighting, who would know Barristan killed Rossart? His honor remains clean.

Archived