Game of Thrones Has Broken the Record for Total Emmy Wins (38) for any Fictional Series. Discuss.

Well, I think it was inevitable, and sure enough it's finally happened.

Game of Thrones has broken the Errmy record for most wins by any fictional series, including, I believe, 12 this year for:

(1) Outstanding Drama Series, (2) Outstanding Writing in a Drama Series, (3) Outstanding Directing in a Drama Series, (4) Outstanding Visual Special Effects, (5) Outstanding Casting for a Drama Series, (6) Outstanding Single-Camera Picture Editiing for a Drama Series, (7) Outstanding Production Design for a Narrative, (8) Outstanding Makeup for a Single Camera Series (Non-Prosthetic), (9) Outstanding Sound Mixing for a Comedy or Drama Series (One Hour), (10) Outstanding Costumes for a Period/Fantasy Series, Limited Series or Movie, (11) Outstanding Makeup for a Series, Limited Series or Movie, and (12) Outstanding Stunt Coordinating for a Drama Series, Limited Series or Movie. (Hope I got all that right!)

So, what do you think does Game of Thrones deserve to be King of the Emmy Hill????

You're right to say that it was inevitable, as this piece from tv guide points out.

http://www.tvguide.com/news/game-of-thrones-will-dominate-emmys-until-it-ends/

GOT's budget, acting and directing are all aspects which deserve to be lauded, but it's the massive exposure the show has which will continue to win awards at the Emmy's.

While I begrudge a few of them (the writing ones are ridiculous, as is best drama for the last couple seasons.  Dinklage's acting last year was unearned as well IMO (although I'm fine with him being an emmy winner based on the first 4 seasons). Most of the production ones are earned.  Aside from a few exceptions (Cersei's outfit of Supreme Evil!!!) the various production categories like costuming and special effects are definitely deserving.  For all that I despise the episode, Battle of the Bastards was phenomenally directed.  

From a technical standpoint, the show does so many things very right.  My gripes are with the writing, which is atrociously bad as of late.

2 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

I think they deserved the technical Emmys, like the special effects or even production design, but best script was like a joke, although BotB's  direction was really good.

Amen.  I still think the most impressive directing work was Blackwater, where they have to give the feel of a huge battle with only a fraction of the resources, but this show has proven they can make a pretty spectacle battle. 

13 minutes ago, JonSnow4President said:

Amen.  I still think the most impressive directing work was Blackwater, where they have to give the feel of a huge battle with only a fraction of the resources, but this show has proven they can make a pretty spectacle battle. 

Yes, I should look at the whole series to think of any better-directed episode with that great amount of stunts and extras, but of course BW is one of them. They did a great job coordinating both human and animal resources and made an entertaining battle with that script: also the colours used to create an intense atmosphere.....but that was direction.the showrunners even acknowledged that in a public interview.

And production design was really good IMO. Kingslanding, The Reach, Braavos...etc. although I can't speak for the other shows. For period dramas,I knew Outlander wasn't even nominated and it was really good as well.

But it's a bit sad to see that evertything is fine except the script....even the actors are good. But script is the soul of a drama.

9 hours ago, Darryk said:

They deserved every emmy they won. Whatever gripes people have when comparing it to the books, there's not another show on television that comes close.

Agreed.

Even though some of the story arcs are pretty controversial when they depart from the books, the production value is undeniable, and is reflected in the large number of Emmys for technical work.

The story is the most important thing to me, but those technical accomplishments, and the overall production value, are simply unparalleled, I think.

I could argue with the best writing ones, but what Darryk said is true. From a television perspective, you can hardly find better writing. And let's admit, we are some serious writing-snobs here on this forum. 

They indisputably deserved the technical ones. 

I could also argue Peter's Emmy, but fine, he is a good actor, he's a great Tyrion and I can't be the judge of the other nominees. 

I am, however, kinda glad that neither Lena or Emilia or Maisie won Best Supporting Actress. Emilia is without a doubt on the top 3 cutest actresses list, and I absolutely adore her, but her GoT acting is far from award-worthy. Roughly the same applies for Maisie and we know that I'm not a huge Lena fan. 

Production-wise, this show is indisputably one of the most perfect things we've seen on a TV show. 

Acting is subjective so no one person can claim an actor didnt deserve it. If the emmys voting body thinks so, we have to accept it. 

Writing is among the best on tv as well, with clever dialogue and really compelling plots. For some reason, a lot of people here have this really deep hatred for the writers on this show, so that obscures their view of the writing itself. 

9 minutes ago, dsug said:

Production-wise, this show is indisputably one of the most perfect things we've seen on a TV show. 

Acting is subjective so no one person can claim an actor didnt deserve it. If the emmys voting body thinks so, we have to accept it. 

Writing is among the best on tv as well, with clever dialogue and really compelling plots. For some reason, a lot of people here have this really deep hatred for the writers on this show, so that obscures their view of the writing itself. 

Yes, my hatred of the writing is because of my hatred for the writers, and not the other way around. https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTF5BA2fW77mv1gVC-K_sUyOgMrUJRuBKXljSPQSd1lZCL0uzDC__NWag

I think several issues are at play.  First, like others, there are technical aspects of this show that are jaw dropping.  Two shots still linger in my mind - Davos, at dawn, finding the carved stag, and Jon, pulling out his sword to face the attacking cavalry, both in the BotB.  Music is amazing.  Settings, scenary, locations - perfection.  Costuming is wonderful.  The show deserves every technical award it can get.  I also think that Sapochnik is a bit of a genius. While many folks here rightly take issue with some of the writing, I do think it gets glossed over when considering so many wonderful aspects of this show.  

But this show has also reached a cultural touchstone level. If you are with a group, and conversation lags, somebody can always say  'do you think Jon Snow will marry Dany' and most of the group will not only know what is being asked, but they will have a firm opinion as well.  

Another element in its favor is the cache of being based on an award winning book series. This adaptation is no Walking Dead, the source material has pedigree, longevity, and popularity. The accessibility is immediate and on numerous levels.  

Finally, some of the actors cast are simply perfect for their roles.  Whoever did the casting for this show did an excellent job.  There is a thread here regarding what actor would have been better as Robert B.  The consensus is that Mark Addy was terrific as is!  Viewers can also watch the younger, inexperienced actors grow into their roles.  Whether you like the character or not, the younger actors have improved so much so that they have been nominated for Emmy Awards (Maisie, Kit). 

There are other good shows on television right now but GoT has so many things right about it that no other show comes close.  I would love to know the vote total between winning and second place in the Outstanding Drama series.  Heck, I would love to know who was second.

22 hours ago, RhaenysB said:

I could argue with the best writing ones, but what Darryk said is true. From a television perspective, you can hardly find better writing. And let's admit, we are some serious writing-snobs here on this forum. 

They indisputably deserved the technical ones. 

I could also argue Peter's Emmy, but fine, he is a good actor, he's a great Tyrion and I can't be the judge of the other nominees. 

I am, however, kinda glad that neither Lena or Emilia or Maisie won Best Supporting Actress. Emilia is without a doubt on the top 3 cutest actresses list, and I absolutely adore her, but her GoT acting is far from award-worthy. Roughly the same applies for Maisie and we know that I'm not a huge Lena fan. 

Great stuff, I enjoyed reading  it all!

Dinklage is the man, far as I'm concerned.  GOT just is not GOT without him or Tyrion.  He is the glue that holds so many other characters together it's ridiculous, and I'm sure that's going to continue (I believe he will be critical in forging an alliance between Dany and Jon)

Who are the other two top three cutest actresses besides Emilia Clarke?  Just curious.

I think Maisie Williams is fantastic.  I really hope if there's a spin-off (and I think there will be) she has a very prominent role in it as Arya.

Ohhhhhhh...you don't like Lena Headey????   She's my favorite female on the show.  Oh well.

3 hours ago, lakin1013 said:

I think several issues are at play.  First, like others, there are technical aspects of this show that are jaw dropping.  Two shots still linger in my mind - Davos, at dawn, finding the carved stag, and Jon, pulling out his sword to face the attacking cavalry, both in the BotB.  Music is amazing.  Settings, scenary, locations - perfection.  Costuming is wonderful.  The show deserves every technical award it can get.  I also think that Sapochnik is a bit of a genius. While many folks here rightly take issue with some of the writing, I do think it gets glossed over when considering so many wonderful aspects of this show.  

But this show has also reached a cultural touchstone level. If you are with a group, and conversation lags, somebody can always say  'do you think Jon Snow will marry Dany' and most of the group will not only know what is being asked, but they will have a firm opinion as well.  

Another element in its favor is the cache of being based on an award winning book series. This adaptation is no Walking Dead, the source material has pedigree, longevity, and popularity. The accessibility is immediate and on numerous levels.  

Finally, some of the actors cast are simply perfect for their roles.  Whoever did the casting for this show did an excellent job.  There is a thread here regarding what actor would have been better as Robert B.  The consensus is that Mark Addy was terrific as is!  Viewers can also watch the younger, inexperienced actors grow into their roles.  Whether you like the character or not, the younger actors have improved so much so that they have been nominated for Emmy Awards (Maisie, Kit). 

There are other good shows on television right now but GoT has so many things right about it that no other show comes close.  I would love to know the vote total between winning and second place in the Outstanding Drama series.  Heck, I would love to know who was second.

Great stuff.

Yeah, I think GOT has reached a level where it's bigger than its creator, like Star Wars, and probably even Harry Potter (and other series).  They've permeated pop culture, and people will be making money off of this for a long time.

And if I had to vote for the "Top 10 Most Well Cast Characters," it would be extremely difficult.  I think there are at least 20 or more (maybe a lot more) that are just perfect.

1 hour ago, Cron said:

Great stuff, I enjoyed reading  it all!

Dinklage is the man, far as I'm concerned.  GOT just is not GOT without him or Tyrion.  He is the glue that holds so many other characters together it's ridiculous, and I'm sure that's going to continue (I believe he will be critical in forging an alliance between Dany and Jon)

Who are the other two top three cutest actresses besides Emilia Clarke?  Just curious.

I think Maisie Williams is fantastic.  I really hope if there's a spin-off (and I think there will be) she has a very prominent role in it as Arya.

Ohhhhhhh...you don't like Lena Headey????   She's my favorite female on the show.  Oh well.

Yeah, and that has a lot to do with Tyrion being GRRM's favorite too. 

Audrey Hepburn and Lily Collins. 

I agree that she is good, I only wish the Arya storyline this season hadnt been so blatantly stupid. 

Not really, sorry. I wasn't a fan of her before GoT either :/ 

13 hours ago, RhaenysB said:

Yeah, and that has a lot to do with Tyrion being GRRM's favorite too. 

Audrey Hepburn and Lily Collins. 

I agree that she is good, I only wish the Arya storyline this season hadnt been so blatantly stupid. 

Not really, sorry. I wasn't a fan of her before GoT either :/ 

Great point about Tyrion being GRRM's favorite.

Audrey Hepburn?  Wow, that's a name from the past!  You must like really old movies!!

Arya:  I realize I'm in the minority on this, but I really didn't have a problem with most of Arya's Season 6 storyline.  Her surviving those stab wounds and running through the streets like that was very unrealistic (I'm still holding out hope that Lady Crane had some magical potion in that one scene where she was reaching up high, cuz that's the only way I see Arya's survival and battle with the Waif actually happening), and I really disliked the Frey pies (for multiple reasons, I could probably list 3 or 4), but otherwise I was fine with Arya's Season 6.  (Braavos was interesting, but I'm glad she's back in Westeros now)

Lena Headey:  i thought she was great in the "300" movies.  Have you seen "Dredd"?  Granted, "Dredd" is a real "check your brain at the door" kind of movie, but I thought Lena did very well.  Would you have picked someone else to play Cersei?  if so, any ideas who?

4 hours ago, Cron said:

Great point about Tyrion being GRRM's favorite.

Audrey Hepburn?  Wow, that's a name from the past!  You must like really old movies!!

Arya:  I realize I'm in the minority on this, but I really didn't have a problem with most of Arya's Season 6 storyline.  Her surviving those stab wounds and running through the streets like that was very unrealistic (I'm still holding out hope that Lady Crane had some magical potion in that one scene where she was reaching up high, cuz that's the only way I see Arya's survival and battle with the Waif actually happening), and I really disliked the Frey pies (for multiple reasons, I could probably list 3 or 4), but otherwise I was fine with Arya's Season 6.  (Braavos was interesting, but I'm glad she's back in Westeros now)

Lena Headey:  i thought she was great in the "300" movies.  Have you seen "Dredd"?  Granted, "Dredd" is a real "check your brain at the door" kind of movie, but I thought Lena did very well.  Would you have picked someone else to play Cersei?  if so, any ideas who?

Not in general, but I do love Audrey Hepburn films. 

Yeah, we still disagree on that one. Though I'm very happy she's back in westeros too, so we are in agreement about that much. 

I wasn't a fan of the 300 movies at all. Haven't seen Dredd, I might check it out. And my idea of Cersei is basically what Vikings S3-4 Aslaug was. She was a better drunk, a better adultrer, a better b*tch, she was just everything what Cersei is supposed to be. 

12 hours ago, RhaenysB said:

Not in general, but I do love Audrey Hepburn films. 

Yeah, we still disagree on that one. Though I'm very happy she's back in westeros too, so we are in agreement about that much. 

I wasn't a fan of the 300 movies at all. Haven't seen Dredd, I might check it out. And my idea of Cersei is basically what Vikings S3-4 Aslaug was. She was a better drunk, a better adultrer, a better b*tch, she was just everything what Cersei is supposed to be. 

HAR!! Well said!!

I haven't watched Vikings, but I probably should.  I'm a huge fan of Norse mythology, does it have any of that, or is it all "human-based?"

("Dredd" is decent, but like I said, "check your brain at the door."  LOTS of pure action with not very much plot.  Sometimes that can be cool, but if that's never your thing, you might wanna skip it.)

Archived