voting for the Lord Commander of the Watch

shameeka

You are a brother of the Night's Watch. Jeor Mormont is dead and it's time to pick the 998th Lord Commander of the Watch.

After 9 votes the LC is still not chosen. Stannis is growing impatient everyday.

Who would you vote for among these candidates?

Cotter Pyke

Denys Mallister

Janos Slynt

Dolorous Edd

Othell Yarwyck

Three-Finger Hobb

(Jon Snow's name has not been put up yet so you can't pick him.)

Lets see - considering the disunity as well as Stannis and the Thrones interferance we need someone really, really conservative. Someone who will stand up for the nights watch both against Stannis, Janos Slynt and the Iron throne without getting emotionally attached. Preferably also someone that is old and will die soonish, so we can redo this process in say 10-20 years. A compromize candidate in other words.

I vote Othell Yarwyck (and won´t change that vote even if a certain snow gets nominated)

I'd probably say Pyke. He has the experience of leading as Commander of Eastwatch, he's a skilled fighter while still being young enough to not die suddenly withing the next few years. Much as I respect Mallister, he's too old now but he'd make a very good adviser to have around.

Slynt is too much of a Lannister toady. Yarwyck hasn't shown any particular martial skill; and a military minded leader would be needed at this point in time; Hobb...well I guess he'd be popular for keeping the men fed if nothing else?

And Edd is brilliant but as he himself admits he'd make a terrible Lord Commander, despite the brilliance of some of his comments.

Edd and Hobb are both joke candidates.

Slynt is a toady, and he hasn't been around long enough.

Why isn't Bowen Marsh on this list?  If you want a Castle Black guy, he seems to have more power and influence than Yarwyck, and is certainly more imaginative and bold.  He also has some fighting ability despite being a steward, based on his heroism on the Bridge of Skulls.  

Based on this list, though, I'd go with Mallister.  Cotter Pyke is illiterate, and therefore cannot correspond with anyone without being translated through drunk Maester Harmune.  Sorry but I prefer my LC to be literate and intelligent, and to not have to rely on a drunk maester for all correspondence with the other towers and with the lords and castles down south.  

In that vein, Mallister being of noble blood, while it may or may not mean anything to the Brothers of the NIght's Watch, would, probably, mean something to relations with the south.  Mallister knows how to be courtly and entertain visiting lords (like when Tyrion came to the wall), if need be.  He would engender a certain level of respect from, say, Stannis, that would likely be conspicuously lacking when dealing with Cotter Pyke.  

Lastly, for those who know Jon was being groomed for command by Mormont, but who are conspicuously aware of his youth, Mallister would be a good choice specifically because he's not likely to live all that long.  He could be the sort of transitional LC that allows Jon and his friends to mature and assume more responsibilities before being thrust into a leadership role.  This would not be unlike when Benedict XVI was elected Pope - he was supposed to be a transitional pope, not expected to live more than a few more years, to allow some of the younger, more promising men time to develop.  Of course it didn't really work out the way it was supposed to, by him not dying - and I wouldn't be shocked if something similar happened with Mallister.  There seems to be something at the wall that...preserves.  Maester Aemon would be Exhibit A of that.  

5 hours ago, estermonty python said:

Why isn't Bowen Marsh on this list?  If you want a Castle Black guy, he seems to have more power and influence than Yarwyck, and is certainly more imaginative and bold.  He also has some fighting ability despite being a steward, based on his heroism on the Bridge of Skulls.  

The list is based on the 10th voting on SoS. Bowen Marsh withdrew his name and supported Slynt before the voting began. That's why I also included Dolorous Edd and Hobb on the list.

Archived