Which Targaryen kings are you most interested in learning more about in Fire & Blood?

The Grey Wolf

The kings I'm more interested right now is Aegon I (we know a lot about the Conquest, but not much about how he ruled and his relationship with the Great Lords he had defeated or installed) and Aegon III (specially the period of the regency).

I'm also eager to know more about Aegon V, but I'd rather have his story told through more Dunk and Egg tales.

On 9/22/2016 at 2:34 PM, The hairy bear said:

The kings I'm more interested right now is Aegon I (we know a lot about the Conquest, but not much about how he ruled and his relationship with the Great Lords he had defeated or installed) and Aegon III (specially the period of the regency).

I'm also eager to know more about Aegon V, but I'd rather have his story told through more Dunk and Egg tales.

I agree, I would I also like to learn about Maegor I and the faith militant uprising and what happened in Jaehaerys I long 55 year reign, I mean something had to have happened. But most of all I want to learn about house Targaryen pre-conquest, espicially during the time of the Valyrian empire.

I would love to learn more about house Targaryen in Valyria, Aegon I and Rheanys and Visenya, and Rhaenyra I/Aegon II.

We know all about what happened in the conquest and that Aegon travelled around the kingdoms for many years, but we don't know why he, Visenya, and Rhaenys decided to conquer after the Targaryen's had held Dragonstone for so long.

The Targaryen family tree and line of kings is one of the most interesting parts of Martin's worldbuilding to me. Of the 17 kings, the ones I most want to learn more about (not that I wouldn't love a whole book on all 17 of them!) are:

Maegor The Cruel

Daeron I

Aegon IV

Daeron II

Aegon V

Just a small question:

Do we know if this book is going to be written in the perspective of one maester (or whoever) with a particular leaning, meaning, that the history will be artfully biased like in the World book?

Even though I am not particularly crazy about 99% of Targaryens, I am eager to read this book.

45 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Just a small question:

Do we know if this book is going to be written in the perspective of one maester (or whoever) with a particular leaning, meaning, that the history will be artfully biased like in the World book?

Even though I am not particularly crazy about 99% of Targaryens, I am eager to read this book.

The Fattest Leech

Fire & Blood will be written ostensibly by Archmaester Gyldayn, who was the last Maester assigned to Summerhall during the reign of Aegon V before it burned, with the book covering from Aegon I to Aegon V, (which leaves the question of how Jaehaerys II and Aerys II will be covered). As for bias, the book will be a truly scholarly work, with Gyldayn mentioning several different sources and what they say and comparing them to come up with what he thinks most likely happened while noting any inconsistencies or impossibilities in the sources (such as Rhaenyra cutting herself on the throne while wearing armor according to one chronicle). (An example would be TPaTQ, where you have three contradicting sources, Septon Eustace (pro-Green), Mushroom (pro-Black (sort of)), and Grand Maester Orwyle (pro-Orwyle))

Hope that clears things up.

1 minute ago, The Grey Wolf said:

The Fattest Leech

Fire & Blood will be written ostensibly by Archmaester Gyldayn, who was the last Maester assigned to Summerhall during the reign of Aegon V before it burned, with the book covering from Aegon I to Aegon V, (which leaves the question of how Jaehaerys II and Aerys II will be covered). As for bias, the book will be a truly scholarly work, with Gyldayn mentioning several different sources and what they say and comparing them to come up with what he thinks most likely happened while noting any inconsistencies or impossibilities in the sources (such as Rhaenyra cutting herself on the throne while wearing armor according to one chronicle). (An example would be TPaTQ, where you have three contradicting sources, Septon Eustace (pro-Green), Mushroom (pro-Black (sort of)), and Grand Maester Orwyle (pro-Orwyle))

Hope that clears things up.

It does, thank you. Now that you mention Gyldayn, I may have read that somewhere along the line a while ago. That's good news because I like that guy ;)

Jaehaerys II and Aerys II are some of the ones I would like to read about.

7 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

It does, thank you. Now that you mention Gyldayn, I may have read that somewhere along the line a while ago. That's good news because I like that guy ;)

Np. And yeah. I really wonder how those two are going to fit in. Maybe, another Maester will add in their reigns like an addendum to Gyldayn's work? Or maybe we'll know everything there is to know about the two by the end of ASOIAF and D & E? (I find that less plausible though since you can't describe the entirety of the Ninepenny Kings in the two books left for the series and D & E ends before that point.)

Also, just to clarify, Gyldayn is described by GRRM as an "opinionated old fart" so he isn't entirely unbiased. Just look at how he caustically describes Sharra Arryn in Aegon's Conquest as a "faded flower" even though she, at most, was thirty-seven, no doubt with all the sympathy of a professional celibate.

8 minutes ago, The Grey Wolf said:

Np. And yeah. I really wonder how those two are going to fit in. Maybe, another Maester will add in their reigns like an addendum to Gyldayn's work? Or maybe we'll know everything there is to know about the two by the end of ASOIAF and D & E? (I find that less plausible though since you can't describe the entirety of the Ninepenny Kings in the two books left for the series and D & E ends before that point.)

I think the next D&E is taking place up north in Winterfell, right? I hope so because that is another source where I would like to get some history as well.

I guess we need Ser Badass Barristan to survive a little longer to fill us in about Jae II and Aerys II? That should be interesting because while he is a bit of a Targophile, maybe with all he has been through, and his ADWD fire and mud monolgue, maybe we will see something different in Barristan?

24 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

You mention Jaehaerys II (good call!) but I'm even more interested in Jaehaerys I.  I would love to know more about his, his wife Good Queen Alysanne's, and his Hand Septon Barth's interest in and relationship with the North?  Also, he inherited the war with the Faith Militant and was somehow able to preside over 50 years of peace, etc.

I would also love to know more about Aegon V and what led up to the tragedy at Summerhall.  Fortunately, I think we're going to get more info on that from the Dunk and Egg stories.

But, as was mentioned up-thread, I would really enjoy learning more about all the Targaryens - they're fascinating! 

59 minutes ago, Prince of the North said:

You mention Jaehaerys II (good call!) but I'm even more interested in Jaehaerys I.  I would love to know more about his, his wife Good Queen Alysanne's, and his Hand Septon Barth's interest in and relationship with the North?  Also, he inherited the war with the Faith Militant and was somehow able to preside over 50 years of peace, etc.

I would also love to know more about Aegon V and what led up to the tragedy at Summerhall.  Fortunately, I think we're going to get more info on that from the Dunk and Egg stories.

But, as was mentioned up-thread, I would really enjoy learning more about all the Targaryens - they're fascinating! 

I agree. This is where I think we will get more of that as well.

More info about Jae I and QA would be interesting as well ;)

3 hours ago, The Grey Wolf said:

Also, just to clarify, Gyldayn is described by GRRM as an "opinionated old fart" so he isn't entirely unbiased. Just look at how he caustically describes Sharra Arryn in Aegon's Conquest as a "faded flower" even though she, at most, was thirty-seven, no doubt with all the sympathy of a professional celibate.

Just saw your second additional comment.

Hahahahaa. I know. In the World book, the Gyldayn parts were written by George and came across as more "trustworthy" in comparison to only one of every two or three lines you could trust by Yandel. But, hey, George's "opinionated old fart" comment just makes me like him even more ^_^

Can I go sorta off-topic and add a queen? I mean, only sorta off-topic because this queen is linked to a king :D

I would like to know a little more about the interaction between Rhaenys, Queen of Aegon I, and Meria Martell. The world book gleans over that interaction with so little information, but adding just enough out of the norm intrigue that I want to know more.

On Sunday, October 09, 2016 at 11:32 AM, The Fattest Leech said:

Can I go sorta off-topic and add a queen? I mean, only sorta off-topic because this queen is linked to a king :D

I would like to know a little more about the interaction between Rhaenys, Queen of Aegon I, and Meria Martell. The world book gleans over that interaction with so little information, but adding just enough out of the norm intrigue that I want to know more.

Queens are welcome as well. :D

Speaking of which I'd like to know more about the following:

Alyssa Velaryon (How long did she live, how much influence did she retain over Jaehaerys and Alysanne considering the Aemon-Jocelyn match was almost certainly her doing and Alyssa Targaryen was likely named in her honor)

Good Queen Alysanne (What was the First Quarrel over, what policies did she influence Jaehaerys on, what accomplishments did she have independent of him, and what did she think of their children/grandchildren)

Daenaera Velaryon (Did she live long enough to see both her sons die, what role did she have in the upbringing and personalities of her children, was she a welcome source of normalcy and vibrancy during her husband's reign considering his melancholy as well as the fact that Viserys lost his charm after Larra abandoned him and their children (which I think was a sudden decision on her part, hence the dramatic effect on Viserys and possibly the future Aegon IV, who would have been the only one of his siblings old enough to remember her))

Mariah Martell (Did she have "too much" influence on her husband as the Blackfyres claimed and when did she die, before or after the First Blackfyre Rebellion)

Betha Blackwood (How did she respond to their children's unruliness, what did she make of her husband's reforms and his increasing obsession with reviving dragons)

Shaera Targaryen (Did she live to see her son become king, to witness the Defiance of Duskendale and the effect it had on Aerys) .

A whole coffee-table-sized companion book and we don't even know the fates of half the consorts! Not to mention the Blackfyres...

Archived