Good things that bad characters have done

Marcus corvinus

Okay, ASOIAF is unique for its moral ambiguity. It mirrors real life, no one's black and white; everyone's grey. But there are some characters that can be considered '' bad '' or '' vile '' as they are all round despicable and universally panned. But what good things have these characters done?

1. Cersei: She appointed jaime as LC of the kingsguard. This was a good move regardless of jaime's eagerness for the post. Jaime was experienced, well versed in military matters and the most trustworthy man to the lannister clique. 

She patronized qyburn. Yes making qyburn master of whisperers was taking it too far but keeping him in her service was a good result. Now she has an unstoppable killing machine for a bodyguard.

2. Joffrey: I'm really hard pressed to think of anything '' good '' joffrey has done. In the tv series he talks about building a standing army but its not in the books. He kept the hound as his bodyguard-maybe? The hound too did leave him afterwards.

3. Ramsay: Ramsay duped theon and destroyed winterfell with extreme cunning. He took over hornwood and defeated the ironborn at moat callin. While these were vile deeds from a moral standpoint, it can't be argued that he pulled his weight for house bolton.

I heard that Good King Joffrey called a red comet to celebrate his name day, and it woke up the dragons! And then even though his father Robert had tried to kill Daenerys Targaryan, Joffrey stopped the assassination attempts that had chased her his entire life. Then, thanks to King Joffrey's generosity, she turned not to vengeance against Westeros, but to free all the slaves of the Far East!

Good King Joffrey of course married the beautiful Lady Maergery, who had been trapped in a loveless marriage with his fey uncle and his unnatural hungers! And when King Joffrey brought her to King's Landing, she showered the crowds with silver from the southwest and bread from the King's own kitchens!

I do so love Good King Joffrey's choice of wife - but think of what he could have done if he'd married Daenerys Stormborn and taught her how to rule a kingdom! They could have presided over a long summer, instead of this awful winter we're having now.

I even hear he once fought the Great Direwolf of the Riverlands with his own hands - the one that keeps eating all the smallfolk's sheep. But he was only a boy then, so he wasn't strong enough, and the savage northern girl - the Imp's wife - in a moment of tender concern for her, stole his magical sword and threw it in the Trident, where it sank with Rhaegar's rubies.

That's not how I heard it told. I heard Good King Joffrey met the Great Direwolf and struck it with the Lion's Tooth, but he could not bring himself to kill it, for he was too tender-hearted. And when the wolf bit his hand, he had a vision of the rubies of Rhaegar falling in the River Trident. Overwhelmed by guilt and grief over his brutal father's slaying of the Last Dragon, Good King Joffrey threw the Lion's Tooth to that same River, and bid the Direwolf slay him to pay the debt. But the wolf and the Imp's wife saw the golden image of the Father himself in the small boy, and the shied away from him like rats from a lit candle. And that light's what called the comet that woke the dragons to free the slaves!

Damn the Imp! Damn him to the Seven Hells for taking Good King Joffrey from us! He knows sorcery - he set the Blackwater on fire and defied the justice of the Queen of the Falcons with an honorless, cheating champion! Damn the Imp, and bless the all-too-brief memory of Good King Joffrey. 

Tywin: secured the realm for his grandson. 
Stannis: Saved the watch from the wldling army 
Littlefinger: Got Sansa out of King's Landing 
Olenna: Killed the maniac Joffery 
Cersei:  Got rid of a corrupt Septon
Gregor:  Was nice enough to present himself to his victim's brother
Viserys: did not fuck his sister 

Hi everyone! 

I love the comment about Joffrey :D

I was going to make pretty much the same joke, but about Aerys, on how he was a just and fair king that kept the smallfolk happy, did no wrong, was charming and courteous, as well as generous and kind. But there it goes :) actually, if I think about it, the one good thing that Aerys did was to be nice to his children (i don't remember any mention of him hitting or abusing his children in any way)

The Freys killed Cat!

Well they tried, next time they need to finish what they started because this half headless thing still seems to haunt them.

Sow a fish head on her and I bet she wouldn't be so quick to judge people any more...

Ahh well, everyone can't be as good as Ned at beheading oathbreakers

Archived