South Park: Member Season 20? [SPOILERS]

Veltigar

In a world in which we get pillared with endless reboots and shows that go on way past their expiration date, South Park simply refuses to let us down. There might be less of it then before, but the extremely qualitative content they manage to produce in those 10 episodes is just astonishing. If this season continues along the lines of that second episode, I think we'll simply have to conclude that South Park is going through a fullblown renaissance. I think we need a thread for this. The show deserves it.

Reminder of this week's ending :) : 

Damn it I forgot to watch the second episode. Luckily it should be available online.

I've decided to return to SP after several years of hiatus, what with the cluster fuck of an election in the USA, and all other stupid stuff going on in the world. The first episode was well done.

12 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Damn it I forgot to watch the second episode. Luckily it should be available online.

Obviously, you didn't member season 20 :P 

12 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

I've decided to return to SP after several years of hiatus, what with the cluster fuck of an election in the USA, and all other stupid stuff going on in the world. The first episode was well done.

You'll find that South Park has changed and imo has reached some new heights.

46 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

I love that they made PC Principal into a permanent character. I don't know how I feel about this season telling a story over the whole season though. 

I want Gerald to be outed as the troll right away. I really want to see how Cartman reacts to it. 

They did pretty well last season with a continuous storyline and this season looks to be shaping up to be similar in quality. I was hesitant about it at first but came around quickly to the idea. How they continue to evolve the show is amazing.

21 minutes ago, Joe Pesci said:

They did pretty well last season with a continuous storyline and this season looks to be shaping up to be similar in quality. I was hesitant about it at first but came around quickly to the idea. How they continue to evolve the show is amazing.

My main concern is that it makes it harder to do really topical episodes. Instead they have to kind of shoe horn in stuff that would make a great standalone episode. 

The only part I'm not liking very much is the election stuff, as I think every Trump joke possible has been made at this point.

I'm loving the trolling stuff though, and that literally no one suspects the troll could be an otherwise normal person and not some evil loser.

If you steal my sunshine....

1 minute ago, The Drunkard said:

The only part I'm not liking very much is the election stuff, as I think every Trump joke possible has been made at this point.

I'm loving the trolling stuff though, and that literally no one suspects the troll could be an otherwise normal person and not some evil loser.

If you steal my sunshine....

Sheila is on to him. 

the memberberries are great - especially when they turn sinister.

The arc seems a little similar to last year with the whole safe-space thing but I think they are making a fair point in that the assumption that all trolls are lonely men in their mother's basement is wrong.

I agree with others that Trump is well covered by now but I do like them playing on the voters getting angry with each other's opinions.

I'm not sure if you can watch the season 19 mini-commentary on South Park studios website but it's pretty interesting and awesome.  I've always picked up the DVD's for the mini commentary over the years, in this one they did the entire season as a 15 to 20 minute track all at once and discussed the decision to allow the town / characters to have a memory and go to a  serialized story / season arc after 18 years of the show which has allowed them to tell some different kinds of stories. They mentioned in the commentary they signed a deal with Comedy Central for I think 5 more years, so I'm glad to hear that.  

1 hour ago, Ghadrack said:

I'm not sure if you can watch the season 19 mini-commentary on South Park studios website but it's pretty interesting and awesome.  I've always picked up the DVD's for the mini commentary over the years, in this one they did the entire season as a 15 to 20 minute track all at once and discussed the decision to allow the town / characters to have a memory and go to a  serialized story / season arc after 18 years of the show which has allowed them to tell some different kinds of stories. They mentioned in the commentary they signed a deal with Comedy Central for I think 5 more years, so I'm glad to hear that.  

It certainly seems like a good way to keep the show fresh for the creators at least. And for the viewers as well.

So far it seems like they are taking a break from Randy to shed the spotlight on Kyle's dad.

Meh, this was only okay for me. Nothing reached the heights of 'Gortoz a ran' for me.

two funny quotes:

Spoiler

"Look, officers, why don't you just ask him why he quit Twitter?"
"@ where, sir? @ where?"

Spoiler

"Every time Amy Schumer talks about her vagina, I lose my fucking mind."

In general, I feel like the election stuff just isn't working. It's a bit too easy. Their satire usually displays more intelligence.

EDIT: Also Cartman can better be planning something. He's just no fun like this. I hope he has something really sinister planned.

1 hour ago, Veltigar said:

EDIT: Also Cartman can better be planning something. He's just no fun like this. I hope he has something really sinister planned.

Well unless I missed something in all the seasons I didn't watch, Cartman is poised to be the first of the boys see a real vagina, may even get more.

40 minutes ago, The Drunkard said:

Who do you all think figured out Gerald? Kyle seemed conspicuously absent this episode, but then it also wouldn't surprise me if it was Cartman, since he'd naturally assume a jew was at fault.

A real troll. The meeting is supposed to take place under a bridge, and the whole Denmark will fight back suggests that they'll have a real troll as described in the Nordic legends, no doubt pissed that the name of his species is being used in such a manner today. 

Mr. Garrison or Caitlyn Jenner.

1 hour ago, Veltigar said:

In general, I feel like the election stuff just isn't working. It's a bit too easy. Their satire usually displays more intelligence.

No, idea. But I think it works, at least kinda. The douche versus turd will always remind me of that cast your vote episode, where Stan ends up living in that peta camp. But I can't help to think, that they didn't think Trump would make it this far. And now they are stuck with Mr. Garrison. That's a bit of the drawback of using story archs instead of a story of the week series. 

I loved how they handled the debate though. 

Archived