Restaurants that don't do reservations can fu(k off.

BigFatCoward

There are at least four Burger and Lobster places now though aren't there? Can't be that hard to get into one. I tried it once and it was just ok. Maybe people who've never had a proper lobster roll before might like it. They also produced The Most Disgusting Cocktail I've ever had the misfortune to be served. Pretty sure they had a terrible beer selection too (not that that would be an issue for you). 

I would queue for a place like Pitt Cue, where no reservations makes sense since it's so tiny. But you don't even need to do that any more since they opened a huge place in the city. 

My favorite restaurant has a no reservation policy unless you have 6 or more. Place only has 15-20 tables and is full every night of the week from 5:30-8. I just go earlier or later to avoid a wait and totally understand why they do it. I actually take pride in a small family owned restaurant succeeding like that in my town.

17 hours ago, Isis said:

Holy shit. I mean, really. Any explanation given for that practice? Is it because you're not meant to sully the experience by carrying dirty money with you when you enter? Even though I'd definitely love to eat there that would put me off. 

Basically what MC said. It's a full on experience to go to Alinea, from taste to sound to smells. They use a ticketing system and treat it like you're going to a show where you buy your tickets, can transfer/sell them to another if you want but cannot cancel and get a refund. To prepare the food the way they do, it takes a lot of time and effort so they want to make sure people are going to be there. 

I ended up paying for the tasting, tax and service up front but any additional wines/drinks were paid for while we were there. If you do the wine paring, it'd be included in the initial up front fee.

All in all, it was worth it to me. I found the experience exceptional, the food delicious and creative, the service casual and fun yet very attentive. Given I don't go to restaurants often that are going to cost me $250 a person (all in without wine), I can handle one or two situations of paying up front for the type of experience Alinea promises. I would hate for it to be a common practice though.

Archived