Donald Glover's Atlanta on FX

Sci-2

Anyone else watching this? I didn't necessarily expect something as surreal or zany as Community but kind of surprised by the slow burn tenor of this show.

I might crack a smile, laugh a bit, but it's not exactly a comedy? Or maybe just not as funny to me personally? I mean I'm still engaged with the show, still find it enjoyable to watch, but I'd put it more in the drama category than a sitcom?

It reminds of Bojack Horseman in the sense that it manages to be laugh out loud funny and chillingly dark and depressing all at the same time. It's just a lot more down to earth than Bojack is obviously. I love dark comedy, and this is top notch stuff. Loving it so far.

I also just love Donald Glover in general so it's got that going for it too. 

Really entertaining show. There isn't anything like it on tv. I've never been to Atlanta, but I love all the local details packed in.

I've only seen half of ep 4 so far, but I'd suggest getting up to there as soon as possible. The show was already great, but they seemed to have upped their game in that ep. What seems like a major character was introduced.

7 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

I think its cringe-humour, and its great.

Interesting, I don't find it cringey at all. I can't watch cringe comedy (The Office and such) because I get embarrassed by proxy and have to keep pausing it. 

Hmm.  Yes, cringey but not in the same way as The Office, which is mostly about people trying really hard to be what they are not and not realising how inauthentic they come across, whereas Atlanta are people struggling authentically but we cringe at what dark places that takes them.

Watched the first couple of eps, really good.

On 23/09/2016 at 6:12 PM, SpaceChampion said:

Hmm.  Yes, cringey but not in the same way as The Office, which is mostly about people trying really hard to be what they are not and not realising how inauthentic they come across, whereas Atlanta are people struggling authentically but we cringe at what dark places that takes them.

It comes off almost as gallows humour to me. Like, this is the shit we put up with, we might as well laugh about it.

12 minutes ago, White Walker Texas Ranger said:

That was hilarious.

As was black Justin Beiber.

"I love you Justin"

"I know, bitch!"

While I really like the show I can't help but feel that it is a bit hampered by the half-hour sitcom format. It feels like each episode end just when it really gets going.

Also, Keith Stanfield is awesome.

• 2 weeks later...

Just checked out the first two episodes thanks to the buzz here (and the posters generally liking the same kind of comedy). The show is very different from what I thought in that it isn't punchline funny and surprisingly heavy on drama. Really good though and hard to nail down.

9 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Best part of an amazing episode.  This show keeps killing it.

Agreed. Best show on tv right now, altho to be honest i dont know what 99% of the other shows out there are anymore. Post Peak Tv sucks. =(

• 2 months later...

Archived