Donald Glover's Atlanta on FX

Sci-2

Great, funny, true, and weird take on life in the A. The meat of the show comes from the look at the people whose lives are shaped by their environment. And the comedy truly comes from the approach of the writing. Not necessarily from a line to line point, but more from the fact that the non-linear story line offers surprises. Like the Black Beiber episode. Just so off the wall and unexpected. The genius is in the truth of the characters' daily lives juxtaposed with the absurdity of how the show presents itself.

• 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Season 2 premiering March 1st now.  Also has a strange new title "Atlanta Robbin' Season" which is apparently the time before Christmas when criminal activity increases in Atlanta.

Glover also says Atlanta is inspired by... Tiny Toons Adventures.

“In the writers room, we spent a lot of time talking about ‘How I Spent My Summer Vacation’ by the Tiny Toons,” Glover said. “That was kind of the inspiration.”

Executive producer Paul Simms said, “This is one of those things that sounds like a TCA joke that someone makes, but for nine months now, I’ve been hearing Donald say, ‘Well, did you ever see ‘Tiny Toons’?”

Glover added, “That was our favorite as kids.”

Fellow executive producer Stephen Glover explained the connection.

“If you watched them all together, they were a movie,” he said. “We kind of took that idea of a whole story, but being told in a bunch of little parts that could be a show.”

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I binged S1 on HULU this week and found it surprisingly funny and dramatic. I didn't expect such a whimsical and irreverent tone to the show's humor. ("Montague" episode and "Tha Club" episode with the invisible car are good examples of what I'm talking about) Looking forward to S2.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, SpaceChampion said:

Wow.  Damn.  Wow.  WTF.

Is that a good thing?  I fell asleep about halfway through because that was boring as shit.  The white-face and Down's syndrome accent were not good either.

On 4/6/2018 at 9:41 AM, RedEyedGhost said:

Is that a good thing?  I fell asleep about halfway through because that was boring as shit.  The white-face and Down's syndrome accent were not good either.

Really? Donald Glover channeling Michael Jackson was fucking creepy, and amazing, imho. The entire thing was a bit ridiculous, sure, but at the same time i found it gripping, and affecting. 

• 1 month later...

Really good season.  Nice finale to bring all the themes to a head.  Glover has suggested he'll eventually move on from this when he gets bored, but I hope it's not for a few more seasons or he passes it on to his brother to continue running.

• 4 weeks later...

This show isn't like anything else going on.  It can be unsettling in ways that tv doesn't usually do. I'm not quite able to articulate what this is though. It works though, because it seems so effortless and matter-of-fact.

• 7 months later...

Archived