Stannis`s knights appreciation thread

Ser Rolland Storn

We all know and love(or hate for some odd people) King Stannis Baratheon and his glorius Hand of The King, Lord Davos Seaworth. But there isn ot as much of a following of his loyal knights, who deserve it.

Ser Richard Horpe The Slayer

He might look like only a thug,but that would be like saying that Varys is a pleasant person.He is Stannis`s second in command, sworn shield and advisor  after leaving for Winterfell. And not everyone gets a not-insulting nickname from Stannis. He probably will be next Barristan Selmy, as in Painter who uses only red, but not as skilled and considering the martial ability of alot of current day knights, being couple levels below Barristan will be make you Lord Commander of the King`s Guard in no time. Also he gets bonus points for being able to scare Cersei

Ser Rolland Storm, The Bastard of Nightsong, Rightful Ruler of the Marches and Castellan of Dragonstone

This man here is a real hero. He charged the Tyrell vanguard, lead by undead Renly, and was able to give enough time for Stannis to get on a ship. He followed Davos during the Edric incident and was ready to fight of all the guards if it came to drawing swords. He defended Dragonstone and give the Tyrells a huge beating and hopefully is now with Aurane on his dromonds and travelling to Eastwatch. Once again bonus points for scaring Cersei.

Ser Justin Massey The Smiler

He might not be the best fighter, but he definitely is not a bad guy. He was nice to Asha and Stannis trusts him TWOW SPOILER:

Spoiler

enough to give him all of his gold.

Ser Clayton Suggs

Massey may shit talk about him as much as he wants. Clayton maybe a bit of a jerk, but he is bold enough to be face the entire Frey cavalry so that Asha can warn the camp.

Ser Andrew Estermont

Followed Davos in the Edric incident and now he is tutor and a protector of the boy in the not so safe city of Lys. He also was squire to Stannis.

Ser Lomas Estermont and Ser Gilbert Farring

Loyal defenders of Storm`End ready to fight to the last man in the name of the one true king.

3 hours ago, Ser Rolland Storn said:

We all know and love(or hate for some odd people) King Stannis Baratheon and his glorius Hand of The King, Lord Davos Seaworth. But there isn ot as much of a following of his loyal knights, who deserve it.

He might look like only a thug,but that would be like saying that Varys is a pleasant person.He is Stannis`s second in command, sworn shield and advisor  after leaving for Winterfell. And not everyone gets a not-insulting nickname from Stannis. He probably will be next Barristan Selmy, as in Painter who uses only red, but not as skilled and considering the martial ability of alot of current day knights, being couple levels below Barristan will be make you Lord Commander of the King`s Guard in no time. Also he gets bonus points for being able to scare Cersei

Ser Rolland Storm, The Bastard of Nightsong, Rightful Ruler of the Marches and Castellan of Dragonstone

This man here is a real hero. He charged the Tyrell vanguard, lead by undead Renly, and was able to give enough time for Stannis to get on a ship. He followed Davos during the Edric incident and was ready to fight of all the guards if it came to drawing swords. He defended Dragonstone and give the Tyrells a huge beating and hopefully is now with Aurane on his dromonds and travelling to Eastwatch. Once again bonus points for scaring Cersei.

He might not be the best fighter, but he definitely is not a bad guy. He was nice to Asha and Stannis trusts him enough to him all of his money. 

Ser Clayton Suggs

Massey may shit talk about him as much as he wants. Clayton maybe a bit of a jerk, but he is bold enough to be face the entire Frey cavalry so that Asha can warn the camp.

Ser Andrew Estermont

Followed Davos in the Edric incident and now he is tutor and a protector of the boy in the not so safe city of Lys. He also was squire to Stannis.

Loyal defenders of Storm`End ready to fight to the last man in the name of the one true king.

Add TWOW spoler tags please. 

4 hours ago, Ser Rolland Storn said:

I really hope Rolland Storm is still alive. His loyalty to Stannis is comparable to Davos' loyalty, except he's also a fearsome warrior that, as you rightly put, makes Cersei nervous.

3 hours ago, GallowsKnight said:

Godfrey Farring hasn't been mentioned yet. He's a huge dick. But he does slay a giant.

For me Godry is in the category R`hollor fanatic and a dickhead along side the guys at the wall, who I kind of despise, but I have the feeling that George will give him a bit more character development a. The Buckler knight danced with Shireen and that makes him a bit nicer than the rest. Also the guy who had the balls to fight Wun Wun deserves some praise. 

5 hours ago, Canon Claude said:

I really hope Rolland Storm is still alive. His loyalty to Stannis is comparable to Davos' loyalty, except he's also a fearsome warrior that, as you rightly put, makes Cersei nervous.

If Rolland dies a not described death it would be a huge waste.  He deserves atleast to kill a dragon and Philip Foote. 

Ser Axell Florent, Hand of the Queen

This guy may sound like the king of the retards, but he was with Stannis way before he declared himself king. He may know nothing of justice and warfare, but when it comes to management he seems like the best in Stannis`s retinue. He was castellan of Dragonstone and now is in charge of the Royal Household. Since Littlefinger will dead when Stannis takes the Throne, Ser Axell may find himself Master of Coin.

The unnamed Florent bastard and the other knight

Having the courage to insult Joffrey Waters, Cersei, Varys, Tyrion and the Tyrells  in the throne room, while being surrounded by people like Tywin Lannister, Ilyn Payne, alot of goldcloaks and Lannister/Tyrell soldiers must earn those guys the nicknames The Bravehearts or atleast The Shit talkers

The most underrated book quote:
"Those who had changed their allegiance during the battle needed only to swear fealty to Joffrey, but the ones who had fought for Stannis until the bitter end were compelled to speak. Their words decided their fate. If they begged forgiveness for their treasons and promised to serve loyally henceforth, Joffrey welcomed them back into the king’s peace and restored them to all their lands and rights. A handful remained defiant, however. Do not imagine this is done, boy,” warned one, the bastard son of some Florent or other. “The Lord of Light protects King Stannis, now and always. All your swords and all your scheming shall not save you when his hour comes.”
“Your hour is come right now.” Joffrey beckoned to Ser Ilyn Payne to take the man out and strike his head off. But no sooner had that one been dragged away than a knight of solemn mien with a fiery heart on his surcoat shouted out, “Stannis is the true king! A monster sits the Iron Throne, an abomination born of incest!
“Be silent,” Ser Kevan Lannister bellowed.
The knight raised his voice instead. “Joffrey is the black worm eating the heart of the realm! Darkness was his father, and death his mother! Destroy him before he corrupts you all! Destroy them all, queen whore and king worm, vile dwarf and whispering spider, the false flowers. Save yourselves!” One of the gold cloaks knocked the man off his feet, but he continued to shout. “The scouring fire will come! King Stannis will return!
Joffrey lurched to his feet. “I’m king! Kill him! Kill him now! I command it.” He chopped down with his hand, a furious, angry gesture... and screeched in pain when his arm brushed against one of the sharp metal fangs that surrounded him. The bright crimson samite of his sleeve turned a darker shade of red as his blood soaked through it. “Mother!” he wailed.
With every eye on the king, somehow the man on the floor wrested a spear away from one of the gold cloaks, and used it to push himself back to his feet. “The throne denies him!” he cried. “He is no king!
Cersei was running toward the throne, but Lord Tywin remained still as stone. He had only to raise a finger, and Ser Meryn Trant moved forward with drawn sword. The end was quick and brutal. The gold cloaks seized the knight by the arms.
No king!” he cried again as Ser Meryn drove the point of his longsword through his chest. "

48 minutes ago, DigUpHerBones said:

i do not trust Massey.

not one bit.

and Stannis does not trust him enough to listen to his advice on Blackwater, yet he trusts him enough with the  entirety of the IB's loan?

something smells rotten in Denmark.

What do you mean? Stannis did listen. Massey urged him to fall back and regroup. That's what Stannis did, and it gave him the chance to sail north and survive.

Personally I really hope that Massey stays faithful and brings Stannis the troops that he needs.

1 minute ago, James Steller said:

What do you mean? Stannis did listen. Massey urged him to fall back and regroup. That's what Stannis did, and it gave him the chance to sail north and survive.

Personally I really hope that Massey stays faithful and brings Stannis the troops that he needs.

Massey has no motives to switch sides. Although House Massey are documented Targ supporters and may have fought for the Blackfyres, he seems loyal and his argument with the Northerns was not so much because he thought the cause was doomed, but that facing the Freys would be a military disaster.

He is probably talking about the whole become exiles plan of Justin, which Stannis rebuffed with a solid argument.

On 9/24/2016 at 1:22 PM, GallowsKnight said:

Godfrey Farring hasn't been mentioned yet. He's a huge dick. But he does slay a giant.

*whisper* I think his name is Godry...

Oh gosh I hate that guy. IIRC I think he's one the R'hllor fanatics too, very charming.

On 9/24/2016 at 5:11 AM, Canon Claude said:

Nina Friel was just asked about Rolland. I'm hoping he survived and when Edric returns to the Stormlands, hopefully legitimized, he can do the same thing for Rolland.

Of course Andrew and the Knights with him he sailed across the Narrow Sea and are protecting Edric Storm deserve appreciation.  Ser Gerald Gower, Ser Triston of Tally Hill, Omer Blackberry, Lewys the Fishwife (last two not knights but get the idea). Like to think Andrew will bring his coz Edric back to Estermont first to be acclaimed King. Protecting the innocent brings them closer to the ideals of a true knight then that jerk Ser Loras Tyrell.

Justin Massey is a bit sleazy... but still seems a decent sort. He reminds me a bit of Ser Hyle Hunt, with their attempts to woo a noble heiress and gain islands, though I think we can excuse Justin considering he lost his lands for supporting Stannis. I think he may bring Arya back from Braavos. And its nice to see not all the Queen's Men are fanatics. Stannis must really trust Justin, considering the important duty he has given him. I appreciate Justin for wanting to stand (heh) by Stannis in such a difficult position. Stannis can inspire a lot of loyalty despite the claims nobody likes him and he inspires no support.

On 9/24/2016 at 10:35 AM, Ser Rolland Storn said:

For me Godry is in the category R`hollor fanatic and a dickhead along side the guys at the wall, who I kind of despise, but I have the feeling that George will give him a bit more character development a. The Buckler knight danced with Shireen and that makes him a bit nicer than the rest. Also the guy who had the balls to fight Wun Wun deserves some praise. 

If Rolland dies a not described death it would be a huge waste.  He deserves atleast to kill a dragon and Philip Foote. 

Ser Axell Florent, Hand of the Queen

This guy may sound like the king of the retards, but he was with Stannis way before he declared himself king. He may know nothing of justice and warfare, but when it comes to management he seems like the best in Stannis`s retinue. He was castellan of Dragonstone and now is in charge of the Royal Household. Since Littlefinger will dead when Stannis takes the Throne, Ser Axell may find himself Master of Coin.

The unnamed Florent bastard and the other knight

Having the courage to insult Joffrey Waters, Cersei, Varys, Tyrion and the Tyrells  in the throne room, while being surrounded by people like Tywin Lannister, Ilyn Payne, alot of goldcloaks and Lannister/Tyrell soldiers must earn those guys the nicknames The Bravehearts or atleast The Shit talkers

I appreciate the men in the throne room who remained loyal to Stannis and stood up to that bastard (in both ways) Joffrey. Saying it like it is shows they were better men then the treacherous Tyrells.

17 hours ago, Ser Rolland Storn said:

Those guys were pure iron. And are very underrated.

The Tyrells may have the grasp of Image Politics, but while Willas and Garlan seem nice their House still supported two usurping tyrants and are propping up a corrupt smallfolk-oppressing regime for their own benefit. Being a true knight or king isn't about looking like one, its about actually doing your duty. And I admire those who stand up to the tyrant Joffrey and his cruel regime of war criminals, knowing it means their own death.

On 9/23/2016 at 7:27 PM, Ser Rolland Storn said:

He might not be the best fighter, but he definitely is not a bad guy. He was nice to Asha and Stannis trusts him TWOW SPOILER:

Reveal hidden contents

enough to give him all of his gold.

Ser Clayton Suggs

Ser Andrew Estermont

Woah now.  These are three very different categories of knights.

Category 1: Queen's Men

These are converts to R'hollor, more a part of Selyse's court than Stannis's.  They are loyal to Stannis now, but what would they do if Mellisandre told them the Lord of Light told her they should follow someone else?  Of your list, Horpe, Massey, and Suggs are classified as Queen's Men, and if you're going to include Suggs you have to also include Godry Farring as well (as has been mentioned).  Axell Florent, too, who is just the worst. Now Horpe and Massey are rather obviously opportunists who seem to have some real loyalty to Stannis, so I don't think it's entirely fair to call them Queen's Men.  But Farring and Suggs are.  Suggs is a lot more than "a bit of a jerk" - he gets off on violence and death and has all the repulsive lackey qualities of Janos Slynt with all the sadistic proclivities of, say, the Tickler.  How is that something to admire?  His bravery is just a character detail; GRRM loves to do stuff like this - to remind us that odious, repulsive lackeys can still be brave in battle, they are not automatically cowards on top of everything else.  It's pretty insulting to the rest of the men on your list to be on the same list as Suggs.

Category 2: Davos's Men

These are the guys who spirited Edric away.  They are unflaggingly loyal to Stannis, but are protecting Stannis from himself.  I doubt Stannis will see it that way, so the only way they can figure positively into the story will be if Stannis bites it at some point.  Davos is a very reliable narrator, so we have every reason to believe that Andrew Estermont and his companions are truly brave, loyal men who are worth rooting for.

Category 3: King's Men

I think this is who you really wanted to highlight, and I couldn't agree more.  Rolland Storm is a badass.  Gilbert Farring and Lomas Estermont seem destined to be redshirts, but the folks left to hold Storm's End must be pretty damn loyal and reliable - and probably are very resistant to Mellisandre's influence, which is a positive mark in my book, and probably explains why they were left behind.  I actually think it's fair to put Horpe and Massey in this category as well.

I think the real question is, how are these men's loyalties affected when Stannis starts to do more morally questionable things?  What happens when he starts burning innocents?  Suggs will stay "loyal", monster that he is, but will Horpe and Massey?  I seriously doubt it.  

Archived