Designated Survivor

drawkcabi

I watched the first episode and really liked it. Great performance by Sutherland and Kal Penn brought his charm to it. I was interested from beginning to end and while I can see this getting silly real fast for now I'm tuning in each week. One of the better shows on the old networks.

I agree. I enjoyed it, and so did my oldest daughter, who is showing an interest in politics. I suspect this will be one of those shows that is enjoyable enough for the first season, but will probably go off the rails after that - not unlike Prison Break or Heroes.

it's on netflix uk so I may give it a shot when there's a few episodes. I don't mind a show going off the rails as long as they do so within their first season so it makes it easier to cut loose. And seeing it lose the plot can sometimes be fun eg prison break and heroes.

I liked it as did my wife. I also see the chance that this will get old real fast. The story seems to have two main parts. Who did it, and can he remain as President. The who done it likely will be resolved this season and that would give the network a years worth of ratings to decide if they can pump out another story or if his presidency is enough to carry it another season.

Did the music remind anyone else of House of Cards? I kept hearing some music in the background and that was all I could think of.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/27/2016 at 0:54 PM, dbunting said:

I liked it as did my wife. I also see the chance that this will get old real fast. The story seems to have two main parts. Who did it, and can he remain as President. The who done it likely will be resolved this season and that would give the network a years worth of ratings to decide if they can pump out another story or if his presidency is enough to carry it another season.

It's like a more limited form of Madam Secretary in that regard.

That show always has a crisis/thriller plot but is also about the general day-to-day running of an administration. So you can have both the usual politics without the thriller plot. 

The problem with this show is how long you can stretch the premise. You can't go back to politics as usual cause...well then he wouldn't be president.

But it's filling my fauxlitical appetite for now. It's less about politics than Madam Secretary, but that show just reminded me of my annoyance with how formulaic and saccharine it can get so...it'll be Designated Survivor for now.

CBS has ordered a full season so at least it will last until next Spring. Hopefully it will stay engaging.

I think for some a show about President Jack Bauer is a draw.

Still having fun following this series. I also like Virginia Madsen in it. I'm guessing through the season tension will grow between her and Kirkman and maybe by the end of the season there's going to be some sort of compromise and she ends up as VP.

Archived