Bittersteel: Sympathetic or unlikeable?

Canon Claude

18 hours ago, Land's End said:

I hope the story behind BR and Bittersteel goes a little deeper than the "Two brothers fell in love with the same woman and now hate each other"-stereotype. BR says something a long the lines of "I lost a brother I loved, a brother I hated" to Bran. It would be interesting if it turned out he wasn't talking about two brothers but one.

That would be interesting. Though I guess it was Bittersteel who hated BR the most, because he felt that BR took everything from him.

18 hours ago, Land's End said:

I sort of agree, also because I like BR. Though we got to know BR a little in Dunk&Egg while we know almost nothing about Bittersteel. He could be everything between Alliser-tier angry and Stannis-tier honorable.

I hope the story behind BR and Bittersteel goes a little deeper than the "Two brothers fell in love with the same woman and now hate each other"-stereotype. BR says something a long the lines of "I lost a brother I loved, a brother I hated" to Bran. It would be interesting if it turned out he wasn't talking about two brothers but one.

9 minutes ago, Ashes Of Westeros said:

That would be interesting. Though I guess it was Bittersteel who hated BR the most, because he felt that BR took everything from him.

I agree but consider that Bittersteel hated BR since the latter's birth, because they were driven away from court, his mother disgraced and BR and his mother were in his place. Plus BR is a Blackwood (I'm sure the Brackens put more then two cents if they'd go as far as training Bethany for Aegon's mistress), plus he took the woman Bittersteel loved. The conflict runs deeper than their love for Shiera, starting as I said years, decades before. To Aegor it seems like BR robbed him of everything he could've had. I don't think BR truly hated him before the Blackfyre rebellion/Shiera Seastar business, it would be more likely returning the hate he was given. Never the less the chances these two brothers to be one are very slim/non-existent as BR has never had any reasons to love Bittersteel.

Archived