NFL 2016 Week 3/4: The Darkness Peers Back

Jace, Extat

11 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

I like Phil Simms crediting the Bengals for smartly "getting rid of the ball quickly" on a 3rd and 3 play that didn't get the first down. Genius. 

It's unparalleled insight like that that keeps America craving more...

Gotta love NFL coaches.  The Bengals were absolutely gashing the Dolphins via the pass and got the ball around the eleven with AJ Green being completely unguardable.  So naturally they run the ball completely ineffectively on the first two downs, leaving them with basically a goal to go from just outside the ten.

42 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

I like Phil Simms crediting the Bengals for smartly "getting rid of the ball quickly" on a 3rd and 3 play that didn't get the first down. Genius. 

29 minutes ago, Joe Pesci said:

It's unparalleled insight like that that keeps America craving more...

Yep, that was smartly done.  Except someone needs to tell them that "getting rid of the ball quickly" actually doesn't refer to quickly giving it back to the other team!  And, yes, Miami's uni's are offending my eyes...and my sense of decorum:P

16 minutes ago, Reny of Storms End said:

Will we ever be rid of Simms? I'm afraid the universe won't let him pass on, and we will be stuck with him on Earth for all eternity. 

I weep for Nantz, at least 5 times a game he tries to set Sims up and the moron goes 'ah, well no... I mean!' And rambles on about nonsense while an interesting play or thought goes unexplored.

I wonder if the Kalbears of the world might be affecting the league after all. PFT has reported steep ratings decline every week. They have a lot of theories, but people disgusted with the league and it's practices is as good an explanation as any I think.

2 hours ago, SkynJay said:

This Color Rush is horrible.  Dolphins should be in powder blue, Bangles in Orange. 

I like our white tiger uni's. Would be even better with a white & black helmet though. 

A win is a win, but our oline is just flat out bad. Can't run block to save their lives. Desperately need Eifert back to help in the red zone too. FG's won't cut it against better teams.

On the bright side, Dalton and Green played great. Geno Atkins and Carlos Dunlap looked like men against boys for much of the game, and Burfict made an immediate impact on our LB play.

7 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Desperately need Eifert back to help in the red zone too. FG's won't cut it against better teams.

The systematic way the Bengals shot themselves in the foot every single RZ possession had me convinced Jay Gruden was still your playcaller for a second there. 

24 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

I wonder if the Kalbears of the world might be affecting the league after all. PFT has reported steep ratings decline every week. They have a lot of theories, but people disgusted with the league and it's practices is as good an explanation as any I think.

I would hope it's because of that, and hopefully an awareness of how much the league uses up its players for profit. I don't watch it the same way any more. I don't glorify the hits like I used to. I haven't let my son watch football (he's watched baseball and tries to swing paper towel tubes like David Ortiz). 

Richard Sherman put a really good post on the Players' Tribune:

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/richard-sherman-nfl-player-relationship-pov-video/

He's right. I sports-hate Richard Sherman but I am glad he is out there speaking his mind.

32 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

I've honestly wondered if the brain injuries thing doesn't ultimately mean that this huge money making machine isn't ultimately doomed in the near to intermediate future. Can't ignore it anymore, and that if anything should become more of an issue as awareness/studies/ex-player pool increases. And the more you adjust the rules to protect brains, the more you'll get people losing interest.

It might get to a boxing kind of stage where they decide 'upon your own head be it' and stop worrying about protection, but I think that lowers viewership and more importantly participation in huge numbers. Honestly, as insane as it seems for a dollar factory to be in jeopardy, I really do wonder if my future children will be NFL fans.

10 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/richard-sherman-nfl-player-relationship-pov-video/

He's right. I sports-hate Richard Sherman but I am glad he is out there speaking his mind.

That guy makes for an extremely effective spokesperson. I hope he continues to be involved with the union. Seems like he really could be the embodiment of a voice of change. 

To what James Arryn mentioned earlier, I truly do hope they adjust the rules to protect the players, regardless as to how that effects the bottom line.

31 minutes ago, sperry said:

Tannehill and Dalton are both just bad quarterbacks. This is masked somewhat by playing with really good skill position talent, but they are both just not good players. 

I disagree with those.  Dalton is an upper-end of average QB, and Tannehill is a below-end of average QB who could be upper-end of average to lower-end of good if his team wasn't a complete disgrace.  There isn't a QB in the NFL I feel more sorry for than Tannehill.  He's had some of the worst coaching to come through the NFL since he graduated, and some of the worst management via draft picks and free agency.  He'll never be a Brady, Manning, Brees, or even a Romo or Rivers that can elevate their teams for stretches (sometimes career long) above what the team is otherwise capable of.  Give Tannehill to an organization with halfway decent offensive coordination and I think he's another Alex Smith.  Perfectly capable of leading a good team, but not capable of taking the Saints to the playoffs. 

24 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

I would hope it's because of that, and hopefully an awareness of how much the league uses up its players for profit. I don't watch it the same way any more. I don't glorify the hits like I used to. I haven't let my son watch football (he's watched baseball and tries to swing paper towel tubes like David Ortiz). 

I haven't really been watching like seasons past either, before missing any game that wasn't Jags-TITANS would be a nightmare, but I haven't watched the last two games for even a second, and when I do watch it's not with the same fervor. I thought maybe it was because the Colts are so wretched again, but I see others are feeling similarly.

3 hours ago, sperry said:

Tannehill and Dalton are both just bad quarterbacks. This is masked somewhat by playing with really good skill position talent, but they are both just not good players. 

The numbers Dalton is putting up with a really poor oline suggest quite the opposite. He literally has one weapon with Eifert out. His 2nd leading receiver right now is Giovanni Bernard, a running back. Dalton is easily a top 10 QB. 

Archived