NFL 2016 Week 3/4: The Darkness Peers Back

Jace, Extat

14 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

I don't know why we continue to antagonize our closest ally by foisting the Jaguars on them repeatedly. 

Thanks, Obama. 

Just checked; no games in Canada today. Apparently they offered us the Jags but Trudeau held out for the Rams. 

1 minute ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Luck is challenging Bortles for best Garbage Time QB the last couple of weeks. Truly a sad state of affairs.

? One game, dude. And the 7th drop of the day on what should have been the game winning drive is hardly garbage time.

15 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Hue is definitely the best coach you guys have had in a long, long time.

I will never forgive Mike Brown for letting both Mike Zimmer, and Hue Jackson get away. And meanwhile we're stuck with Giggles McClappington and his 0-7 playoffs record. FML. 

I mean, he doesn't really have a choice in the matter.  Unless you're going to promote a guy to head coach, good teams are always going to lose assistant coaches.  It's just the nature of the business.  The Bengals already had a head coach, and so they weren't going to promote Hue or Zimmer.  NFL teams are obligated to allow assistant coaches to interview for positions that are considered a promotion as well, so it's not as if the Bengals could stop either guy from pursuing a head coaching job.  And given that basically every assistant coach ultimately wants to become a head coach (or in Hue's case to become a head coach again since he got kind of railroaded by a Raiders power struggle when Al Davis died), there's little the Bengals could have done to keep either guy short of firing Lewis and promoting one of them.

I really do like Hue, though.  He says all the right things, but he also seems to back them up by holding guys accountable and he looks to be getting the most out of a limited roster.  I fully expect the Browns to be terrible this year, and I expected that going into the season.  They let a lot of their veterans walk and traded away a couple of former first round picks and brought in over ten rookies, most of whom are getting playing time.  With that in mind, the goal should be to see those rookies contribute in legitimate ways, even if that doesn't translate to wins this year.  On the plus side, the front office and coaching staff seems entirely on the same page right now, which wasn't the case with the previous regime.  It's refreshing to see the Browns actually doing the right things for once, sad as it is that that's notable.  

Now we just need the owner to not get impatient and clean house after year two.  Even if this regime aren't the right guys, I'd prefer to give them four or five years to see rather than tear everything down yet again after two seasons.  I really feel that, despite a lot of drafting errors in the past, if some of the previous regimes had been given five years, they could have at least put together a team capable of having some winning seasons.  You never get anywhere when you fire guys every two years like clockwork, though, and that's been the primary root of the Browns' consistent failure.

16 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Luck is challenging Bortles for best Garbage Time QB the last couple of weeks. Truly a sad state of affairs.

If the entire season was garbage time, Bortles would be the fucking MVP.

16 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

? One game, dude. And the 7th drop of the day on what should have been the game winning drive is hardly garbage time.

Look at the record, Miss Thing. Week One they were down like what, 21 pts + to Detroit before starting the comeback? I believe the same was mostly true in Denver. I don't think Luck started moving the ball until the Donkeys went into prevent. Same pattern last week versus San Diego. I have Luck on two Fantasy teams. He has been making almost all of his Fantasy hay in Garbage Time. I don't like it any more than you do. He's my starter on my Money league team. :(

/You're right in that he's managed to comeback far enough in all these games except vs Denver to get out of Garbage Time, but all of them have gotten to that point.

8 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Grats on the new arrival! I hope your Lions pick up the pace.

Thanks.

Worst part of the way the Lions are looking right now is that I have a friend at work who is a huge Bears fan.  He will be unbearable tomorrow.

So, going to get this out of the way right wow because I do not envision anything changing in the second-half in the Pats game.  

What a shit-show. 

The Pats' offense is down its two best players and what's left is not dynamic enough to compensate with Brisett.  The young QB is serviceable, but not good enough and these are just facts.  Obviously, the fumble is horrendous, but its not dispositive of his day; he's just not very good and its the NFL in 2016- you need a good QB.  Blount is not nearly as good as his first three games would indicate and give the Bills D credit - they really know how to stop a 3rd-string QB and a team down its best receiving threat.  Well done.  

But the real problem here is on the Pats D: they are getting blown up.  They cannot stop Tyron Taylor who is atrocious.  The Bills have punted exactly once.  I cannot fathom how horrendous this game is for the Pats D: they cannot stop McCoy and even though the Bills are down Watkins, they can't stop this passing game.  Taylor was 17-22, 165 YDS and a TD; the Pats have 2 sacks on Taylor, but both were forcing him out of bounds on runs- they are putting exactly 0 pressure on him and he is hitting his in-between targets.  Hightower is playing hurt (or I devoutly hope he's hurt), but I got to wonder what is the excuse for the other 10 guys they suit up. 

This was NOT a must-win game for the Pats given that they are, in my mind, playing with house money.  But it would have been good to sweep the first 4 games so they get Brady back AND have the schedule set so that they can play well AND have home-field.  But alas... 

Second half is starting... I hope the officials are in position ... 

1 hour ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Look at the record, Miss Thing. Week One they were down like what, 21 pts + to Detroit before starting the comeback? I believe the same was mostly true in Denver. I don't think Luck started moving the ball until the Donkeys went into prevent. Same pattern last week versus San Diego. I have Luck on two Fantasy teams. He has been making almost all of his Fantasy hay in Garbage Time. I don't like it any more than you do. He's my starter on my Money league team. :(

/You're right in that he's managed to comeback far enough in all these games except vs Denver to get out of Garbage Time, but all of them have gotten to that point.

They lead with 1 to play vs Detroit, had the ball down a score in Denver at the end, beat the goddamn Chargers, and the 7th drop of the day ended a go ahead drive in wembly. We have different definitions of garbage time.

1 minute ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

They lead with 1 to play vs Detroit, had the ball down a score in Denver at the end, beat the goddamn Chargers, and the 7th drop of the day ended a go ahead drive in wembly. We have different definitions of garbage time.

Okay, fine. You're 1-3 and just lost the 1st London game of the season to the Jacksonville Jagulars, whom hold the tiebreaker over you due to this win. Welcome to the basement, Jace. Pull up a chair, I'll get you a beer. 

Archived