NFL 2016 Week 3/4: The Darkness Peers Back

Jace, Extat

2 hours ago, SerPaladin said:

Chip Kelly played defense like he could have 105 underclassmen on the sideline ready to step in for a winded linebacker. You can't rank 32nd in time of possession for 3 years with only an NFL roster. On the plus side, those defenders are fit after the Kelly era, and a regular amount of playing time feels like a vacation for them. (And Jim Schwartz is legitimately a good DC. I hope he doesn't hop to a HC offer too fast)

I hoped for 9-7 with Bradford, and was resigned to a 4-12 campaign with the green and injured rookie before week 1. Barring an injury, they look like a 10 or 11 win team. Figure they split with the division, lose to the Vikings and Packers, and probably one (or both) of the Seahawks or Ravens. Still, a team to be excited about, and I didn't think I was going to have one of those this year.

Couldn't have said it any better.

Just to add to that, a "college" offensive coach geared the way he is, they are naturally going to have terrible T.O.P.  Give that man the power to be the GM??? Even more dangerous.  

I just can't help but think if there was no Chip Kelly era at all, and still had Macklin, McCoy, etc. etc......but I have to admit, their offensive scheming up to this this point has been nothing less than stellar.

1 hour ago, Wolf of the Steppes said:

I just can't help but think if there was no Chip Kelly era at all, and still had Macklin, McCoy, etc. etc......but I have to admit, their offensive scheming up to this this point has been nothing less than stellar.

I can't quite tell if the current Eagles receivers are "good" yet, but I like the fact that they are bigger than Desean and Maclin, or at least they play bigger. I'd rather have this young group at this point in time, I'm not sure the 5+ year skill position vets would have gotten on board with dealing Bradford and playing for the future

2 minutes ago, SerPaladin said:

I can't quite tell if the current Eagles receivers are "good" yet, but I like the fact that they are bigger than Desean and Maclin, or at least they play bigger. I'd rather have this young group at this point in time, I'm not sure the 5+ year skill position vets would have gotten on board with dealing Bradford and playing for the future

Some good points.......Matthews is a beast and he's been very productive.  Despite a few drops in key situations, he gets open consistently and is good after the catch too.

So what do you think, Maith, do we root for the dumbest fucking team or what? That was the most exciting/infuriating game I can recall in a long time. I was pretty close to flipping over the table at the bar I was at when they came away with 0 points on the last drive at the half when they a ) didn't take a timeout and let 12 seconds run down for no fucking reason so they could spike it and b ) then with 6 seconds left Cousins, instead of throwing the ball away immediately when it's not there, spins out of the pocket to make a play as though he has all the time in the world and gets sacked.

And then the end of the game playcalling where they're both trying to score and run the clock out and once they got into FG range they seemed content to leave it to our godawful defense to ice the game. Why would we run the ball on 3rd and 3 when we're demonstrably an awful running team? Sua Cravens miraculous INT to ice the game probably saved this team from outright mutiny. 

The thing is the Skins offense is legitimately explosive when Cousins is playing well (like he was yesterday). They just do so much stupid shit that ends up leaving points on the board constantly. They kept trying to give that game away but Eli would not take it. It's the lowly Browns this week and with this team I'm sure they'll find a way to make it a nailbiter. 

A great week of football that I will try to hate-on anyway:

1.    Really upset about the Browns loss to that fucking terrible franchise, Miami.  I like Cleveland because they root for a team that’s kinda terrible and I think their loyalty should be rewarded.  But they are just outclassed between the hashes and on the side-lines.  Miami SHOULD have won because they were the more talented team, but to lose on a FG?  Ugh…. Sorry Cleveland… 

2.    Baltimore and Jax played a thrilling but ugly game that ended with all of us having to ask that age-old question “Is Joe Flacco good?”  Not elite- good God, there is no way.  Just good; is he?  He did complete close to 75% of his passes and they DID win, but barely threw for over 200 yards and had 2 picks v. no TDs… for a QB rating of 64.  I have a rule- if your Passer rating is the same as your Center’s number, you suck.  But it was still a fun game.  

3.    Speaking of sucking and rumors that your team is “good” what’s up Cardinals?  You just lost to the Ryan brothers- the only time where Rex Ryan is NOT “the fat one.”  And you lost; by a lot.  Carson Palmer threw 4 Picks, no TDs and BARELY got over 50% completion.  He sucked.  I have a rule, if your passer rating is equal to your running back’s number, you suck.  

But this leads to an extensional question: Are the Cards good?  I felt GREAT for the Pats week one win over the Cards, but now?  They just lost to Tyrod Taylor )(1 pick, no Tds, QB rating of ~52) Are they frauds?  They may be frauds.  That makes me think that maybe the PATS aren’t that good.  I mean, who have the Pats beaten?  Miami and the Cards and that shit-sandwich Texans team.  Kinda feeling worried about not having a QB all of a sudden.  

4.    Speaking of not having a QB, HOLY. SHIT. Jets.  Remember when Ryan Fitzpatrick was acting all bitchy because he couldn’t get a deal?  Remember when the Jets “low-balled” him?  Yeah… there was a fucking reason!  The only way I can now believe that the Jets were “low-balling” Fitzy was if they were offering to TAKE money from him.  He sucks.  He threw for LESS that 50% and LESS than 200 yards and had 6 picks.  SIX!  He literally only had 14 more completions than INTS!  His Passer rating was 18.  I have a rule- if your passer rating is only SLIGHTLY greater than the combined ages of my pre-teen daughters, you suck.  The Jets then decided to add in two MORE turnovers because they Can’t count to 9. They are terrible.  

5.    Not a great game, but watching Tenn and Oakland battle back and forth was fun; neither team gave up and the Raiders suddenly are 2-1 and look feisty.  Tenn is still shitty, but they never gave up and … okay Mariotta looks bad, but I hope he can right the ship. 

6.    Green Bay is back on track; but sort of weird that Detroit was able to climb back into that game.  Then I remember that Mike McCarthy exists and it all makes sense.  Rodgers had 4 TDs but none in the second half; why?  Because Mike McCarthy’s offense is hamstrung by Mike McCarthy.  GB scored 3 points in the second-half.  They play ALMOST EXACTLY the way they did in the 2014 NFC Championship game.  That's not "good."  

7.    Okay, last week somebody on these boards said that Pittsburgh was overrated.  Who was that?  What moron said that?  OH WAIT; THAT’S RIGHT IT WAS ME!  Pittsburgh fell apart faster than an overstuffed burrito.  And Carson Wentz… legit?  He looks legit.  300 yards, 2 TDs no picks and 126 rating?  Wow.  

Oh, and the Rapist fat-flung the ball for a pick and no big-time passes, the fat fraud. 

But, hey- LEVEON BELL COMES BACK NEXT WEEK EVERYONE!  So for the 6 weeks he’s healthy, the Steelers will be good.  
I hope they’re team bus gets hijacked.  

8.    Bengals.  Fuck, guys.  I know you had a tough schedule here but, Jesus.  Siemein had not completed a TD pass to a WR all season; he did it at will yesterday.  And Andy Dalton looked so bad I could have sworn it was a post-season game.  The O-line is crumbling and the D couldn’t stop the pass at all.  A terrible loss at home.  At this rate, the Bengals will not have a post-season to look forward to so they can implode.  

9.    I have no idea why a team down its QB and RB looks so great over a team that is near 100% healthy, but Sam Bradford is looking … great while Cam Newton looks like shit.  And right now Minn is a powerhouse and the Panthers are crashing.  Losing AT HOME against the Vikings seems weak.  What is going on here?  

10.    Happy Indy won; don’t like SD and I like Pegano and Luck.  Their Defense still looks like a train wreck.  

11.    I felt that the Sunday night game was 100% garbage-time; the Bears are a garbage-time team with a garbage-time QB- the great Brian Hoyer who’s stats were 100% garbage-time.  I’m pretty sure that guy didn’t complete a meaningful pass all night.  Meanwhile, Dak Prescott is doing everything right.  He looks great and that may spell the end of Romo; great work.  We finally end an era that should never have happened.  

12.    Oh, and speaking of garbage… San Fran.  That team did NOTHING for 3 quarters and Seattle spotted them their starting QB and still walked away with the game.  Thankfully, Carlos Hyde is the BEST garbage time RB so it helped my fantasy team.  

13.    I’ll give you 5 bucks if I don’t have to discuss the Rams.  

Pats play the Bills in a game where, right now, they have two injured back-up QBs and Julian Edleman is the Emergency QB.  And the Pats are properly favored.  I am a bit worried because the Bills can play really well in fits and spurts.  But if the Pats win they are 4-0 and they get back Ninkovitch and Brady.  And that seems relevant with 12 more to play.  

5 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

So what do you think, Maith, do we root for the dumbest fucking team or what? That was the most exciting/infuriating game I can recall in a long time. I was pretty close to flipping over the table at the bar I was at when they came away with 0 points on the last drive at the half when they a ) didn't take a timeout and let 12 seconds run down for no fucking reason so they could spike it and b ) then with 6 seconds left Cousins, instead of throwing the ball away immediately when it's not there, spins out of the pocket to make a play as though he has all the time in the world and gets sacked.

And then the end of the game playcalling where they're both trying to score and run the clock out and once they got into FG range they seemed content to leave it to our godawful defense to ice the game. Why would we run the ball on 3rd and 3 when we're demonstrably an awful running team? Sua Cravens miraculous INT to ice the game probably saved this team from outright mutiny. 

The thing is the Skins offense is legitimately explosive when Cousins is playing well (like he was yesterday). They just do so much stupid shit that ends up leaving points on the board constantly. They kept trying to give that game away but Eli would not take it. It's the lowly Browns this week and with this team I'm sure they'll find a way to make it a nailbiter. 

We are indeed quite dumb.  Both teams were dying to give that game away, it was horrible. 

Redskins gaffes - touch punt=fumble, blocked punt, sack to end half on 6 yard line (with a timeout to spare!), two dropped interceptions, 0 for 4 in red zone!

Giants gaffes - 15 yard penalty negates blocked punt, 3 turnovers, 4 personal foul penalties, inexplicably stopped running the ball in the second half, lost fight with a kicking net.

Also, can we talk about how awesome Trent Williams is?  We had two injuries to interior O linemen, and only one backup interior lineman active this week.  Rather than having the relatively inexperienced tackle Ty Nsekhe playing a new position, our Pro Bowl left tackle moved to guard.  And what happened?  The run game noticeably improved.  I'm not at all surprised that Williams can play guard, hell I expect he could play tight end or even linebacker if he tried.  Likewise Nsekhe is one of the largest football players I've ever seen, he is listed as 6-8, 335.  While his pass protection isn't always great (hence him being a backup), his run blocking is pretty solid, and the two of them together were more than the Giants D line could handle on that last drive.  Really great stuff. 

I didn't hate the run on 3rd and 3, that entire drive was a bunch of runs, and I honestly expected them to pass in that spot.  In that drive Jones had runs of 1, 6, 3, 10, 12, 5 and 2 yards.  It isn't crazy to hope that we could run that one for 3 yards IF the Giants were expecting pass.  In hindsight, obviously a pass would have worked better, but it doesn't seem like an overly bad play call. 

But we won, and remain relevant in the NFL for a few more weeks at least.  Yay!  I totally agree that the Browns game will almost assuredly be close.  I cannot believe the spread is WSH-9.5, that is straight bonkers. 

Also think the idea of giving Roseman much credit for Wentz is asinine, considering he traded for the second pick in the draft meaning he had literally no control over which player he got.  Roseman is a buffoon, who may have mismanaged himself into success through finding a franchise quarterback.

6 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Also, can we talk about how awesome Trent Williams is?  We had two injuries to interior O linemen, and only one backup interior lineman active this week.  Rather than having the relatively inexperienced tackle Ty Nsekhe playing a new position, our Pro Bowl left tackle moved to guard.  And what happened?  The run game noticeably improved.  I'm not at all surprised that Williams can play guard, hell I expect he could play tight end or even linebacker if he tried.  Likewise Nsekhe is one of the largest football players I've ever seen, he is listed as 6-8, 335.  While his pass protection isn't always great (hence him being a backup), his run blocking is pretty solid, and the two of them together were more than the Giants D line could handle on that last drive.  Really great stuff. 

That was amazing. I know the Bengals had moved stud tackle Andrew Whitworth to guard which was surprising considering how good of an LT he was so this felt similar. But at least Whitworth had time to learn the position. Trent Williams doing it on the fly when he had never played a single down in his life at guard was remarkable. 

Also Bill Callahan's huge. Remember whenever we'd have an O-line injury in the past everything would go straight to shit? Now they can lose two guys and the offense is still able to function. 

1 hour ago, Rockroi said:

A great week of football that I will try to hate-on anyway:

1.    Really upset about the Browns loss to that fucking terrible franchise, Miami.  I like Cleveland because they root for a team that’s kinda terrible and I think their loyalty should be rewarded.  But they are just outclassed between the hashes and on the side-lines.  Miami SHOULD have won because they were the more talented team, but to lose on a FG?  Ugh…. Sorry Cleveland… 

As a Cleveland fan, what I'm rooting for this year is competitive losses where our young players show improvement, where it looks like we hit on most of our draft picks, and some competent coaching.  Thus far, I've seen all three and am satisfied.  I'd rather get the number one pick and Myles Garrett (who at this point looks like the runaway number one pick, although obviously that could change) than win a couple of meaningless games in what's obviously a rebuilding year and end up picking fourth or fifth.

The big takeaway from yesterday is that Hue Jackson looks like the best coach the Browns have had since returning to the league in 1999.  I expected Kessler to be an absolute disaster, and while he had some rough patches, he looked competent and Hue kept him in his comfort zone.  I also liked how Hue mixed in Pryor for some snaps to give Kessler some time to catch his breath and keep his head straight.  Normally I'm against a two-QB strategy, but for a guy like Kessler who wasn't even supposed to be out there so early and was obviously drafted as a developmental prospect, it makes sense.  I also think Pryor looks like a major hit for Cleveland.  He just looked fantastic yesterday.  A potential Pryor/Gordon/Coleman receiving attack looks borderline god mode if they can all get on the field together at some point.  

As far as losing on a field goal goes...that's what happens when your kicker gets hurt and you have to sign someone else's scraps.  Not a lot you can do about it, and I'm fine with losing like that this year when the goal isn't to win games so much as it is to see development from the young players.  The Browns have been awful at developing players in the past, and if this new staff can do that, it'll go a long way toward getting the franchise back on track.  They just need to avoid cleaning house after year two like they've seemed to do every damn time a new front office and coaching staff has taken over since '99.

Also, the Cavs winning the title has done wonders for my patience with the Browns.  I'd rather they rebuild the right way and give this new staff a chance than continue trying to rush and take short cuts to contention.  Build through the draft, hit on your picks (which it seems like they did this year), and develop your players.

59 minutes ago, sperry said:

Also think the idea of giving Roseman much credit for Wentz is asinine, considering he traded for the second pick in the draft meaning he had literally no control over which player he got.  Roseman is a buffoon, who may have mismanaged himself into success through finding a franchise quarterback.

The Eagles made the move from 8 to 2 when the Rams gave strong hints that they preferred Goff. I don't think Roseman is a genius or anything, but I don't think he stumbled into Wentz. Wentz was the QB that Eagles management thought was worth moving up for, and Wentz was more of an unknown commodity than Goff in the run up to the draft. I really expected this to be one of those Alex Smith, Sam Bradford type years, where the top QB options weren't on the level of Andrew Luck or Jameis Winston.

I fault Roseman for making too many spite moves, dumping Chip Kelly's guys when something could have been done with them. And I credit Roseman for dealing Bradford for value when he did.

@Manhole Eunuchsbane,

I wouldn't go so far as to say that our D is better than the Broncos'. I think we have a more complete defense, but there is still nothing like their pass rush. That said, we've got 6 starters that should make the Pro Bowl if they stay healthy. Maybe more if our younger DBs keep balling. They held Kelvin Benjamin to not only 0 catches, but 0 targets, all while throwing Cam an epic beat down. 

11 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

@Manhole Eunuchsbane,

I wouldn't go so far as to say that our D is better than the Broncos'. I think we have a more complete defense, but there is still nothing like their pass rush. That said, we've got 6 starters that should make the Pro Bowl if they stay healthy. Maybe more if our younger DBs keep balling. They held Kelvin Benjamin to not only 0 catches, but 0 targets, all while throwing Cam an epic beat down. 

Yeah, I'd say the same thing. The Donkeys have more star power than you guys, but it seems to me you guys are solid at every position. It's kind of amazing to think that this team may actually have been improved due to injury (on the offensive side anyway). Bradford to Diggs is looking like a top notch connection, and the two backs spelling AP seem to provide a nice change of pace. I fully expect your boys to make a deep playoff run. What with the Seachickens and the Cardinals looking flawed, you guys just might be the class of the NFC.

15 minutes ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

I heard none of that talk from my friends who are Jets fans, so I think we're looking at double-digit INTs, with at least two pick-sixes, before we'll see that.

Well Jets play the Seahawks next week so you should be able to turn it into a helluva drinking game. 

28 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

@Manhole Eunuchsbane,

The only answer is to have both teams play each other immediately to determine whose defense is best. 

Besides the Eagles absolute domination, the Vikings game was the biggest surprise of the weekend for me. I just didn't see them beating the Panthers, on the road and without AP. I will not underestimate that defense again. 

Agreement with Ser Paladine on the Roseman/Wentz subject. I read dozens of articles that said the Iggles knew the Rams were taking Goff, and it's not too crazy to imagine Roseman simply giving Fischer or whoever a phone call and straight up asking. It's a small league.

Meanwhile, who else can't wait for Broncos v Patriots AFC Championship and Wade Phillips breaking out an amoeba defense on 3rd and 10 that has Von Miller, Demarcus Ware, Shaq Barret, and Shayne Rae all rushing from one side?

1 hour ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Meanwhile, who else can't wait for Broncos v Patriots AFC Championship and Wade Phillips breaking out an amoeba defense on 3rd and 10 that has Von Miller, Demarcus Ware, Shaq Barret, and Shayne Rae all rushing from one side?

That game will come down to three things: Location, Location, Location.  

Pats, in effect, lost last season on a missed PAT (ironically because it was Belichick who insisted it be pushed back).  If that game had been in Foxboro, Pats take on the Panthers.  But the Pats, foolishly, futzed around against Phily, the Jets and Miami and blew home field.  So they (and the Broncos) got what they deserved.  

I know its early but the Pats are, in my mind, playing with house money right now, and I think Broncos-Pats will be a great game and where its played will be a huge, huge advantage.  

Archived