Did Aegon only bring peasants + warriors with him?

Nocturne

From the wiki: "House Targaryen had held the island-fortress of Dragonstone as the westernmost outpost of the Valyrian Freehold for a century before the Doom destroyed Valyria"

We know that Dragonstone is build using Targaryen technology that was lost during the doom. It seems really dumb on his part, is this an omission by George, or was he that tick? Also while are we on the topic of Dragonstone, can anyone refresh my memory as to why the lords of Westeros allowed the castle to be build and left standing for a centuries on their lands?

34 minutes ago, Nocturne said:

From the wiki: "House Targaryen had held the island-fortress of Dragonstone as the westernmost outpost of the Valyrian Freehold for a century before the Doom destroyed Valyria"

We know that Dragonstone is build using Targaryen technology that was lost during the doom. It seems really dumb on his part, is this an omission by George, or was he that tick? Also while are we on the topic of Dragonstone, can anyone refresh my memory as to why the lords of Westeros allowed the castle to be build and left standing for a centuries on their lands?

Regarding the technology it's possible that the nobility of House Targaryen couldn't convince enough artisans and skilled Valyrians to flee West, just because they themselves were Valyrian doesn't necessarily mean they were skilled in such arts personally. They're basically saying come live in a backwater because my daughter had a dream. 

Also for the second part really hot lizards. 

Targaryens didn't build Dragonstone, at least not themselves, stone is shaped with magic (possibly melted with dragonfire first) so you had to be sorcerer to make it, not sculptor. 

All other dragonlords laughed at the Targaryens, no one would follow them, and Targs probably didn't issue invitations in the first place, no need to bring your future rival with you. They didn't need the sorcerers from different families, they had castle and they had dragons, so sorcerer would bring more harm then good.

What Westeros lords, whose is Dragonstone, it's not like it's right next to Winterfell, it's in the sea, and Westeros lords weren't unified faction, Durradons had bigger problems than Valyrian outpost, not to mention Valyrian outpost was very useful at times, like how all the tribes tolerated Ancient Greek colonies. Claw was fiercely independent, Sisters were pretty much pirate islands, Seven Kingdoms kingdoms weren't very strong and had internal problems, the fact that each king had one or more unruly vassal they couldn't put away for generations speaks for that. It is probable that local lords whom Valyrians defeated were also autonomous from Storm's End or whoever controlled Riverlands. And while pre-Targ Valyrians probably didn't have dragons, they must have had fleet, which makes them very hard target for Durradons, it's all the bother for no gain and Valyrians weren't the problem, they were more useful to Durradons than those local lords could have been.

I doubt Aenar Targaryen (one who came to DS) brought peasants or warriors, he brought family, dragons and slaves. So while he may have brought some household guard or such, he didn't bring army, local Valyrains deferred to him after he came and they were traders and minor nobility, peasant on DS were not Valyrian, they were same Andal, same peasants that those local lords ruled over, and from them brunt of Targ small army came to be.

Thanks for  clearing that up, you guys made some valid points. Still to me it seems really dumb not to bring an element that gives you another superiority type besides the military to a contenting you want to conquer.

Probably GRRM didn't want to make them more overpower then they are ( dragons ), or maybe because he wanted Ashai to be that more impressive.

Aenar Targaryen , who came to Dragonstone from Valyria was grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand grandfather of the Aegon, who did the conquering, I think this is the point that confused you. 126 years  passed between Targaryens coming to DS and Conquest.

Archived