Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D: On the fringes of the MCU [Endgame spoilers pg. 19]

Corvinus85

On 11.1.2017. at 10:50 AM, lmanion said:

Roll credits has to be the best line ever in this show. Had to hit pause i was laughing so hard

You actually thought that was a good line? Gods. AoS writing is usually at its worst when writers are trying way too hard to be meta and funny instead of writing lines one can imagime people actually saying. And this episode was full of that kind of dialogue.

On the other hand, at least this episode seems to have a semblance of an overarching storyline shaping up, which can't be said of the first 8 episodes. I'm puzzled by people saying this season has been the best eva, when really it has been the weakest so far. It's really obvious now how superfluous and unconnected to the story Ghost Rider was. He was clearly there for hype. They didn't make him an organic part of the story at all. Other than the existence of Darkhold, nothing in that arc seems to have affected anything going forward. They didn't use him in a very interesting way or give him strong relationships with protagonists, other than with Daisy, which was interesting for a couple of episodes, before it all became the "Quake and Ghost Rider help SHIELD defeat some dull and one dimensional bad guys" show.

I'm enjoying the LMD stuff. I may be in the minority, but I wasn't crazy about the Ghost Rider arc. I agree it felt a little disjointed. He doesn't necessarily fit on a show about secret agents. I also like the twist that the LMD May isn't even aware she's not real. Sets up a pretty tragic reveal later on, as she's not truly an undercover bad guy...just a sleeper.

3 minutes ago, Bastard of Boston said:

I'm enjoying the LMD stuff. I may be in the minority, but I wasn't crazy about the Ghost Rider arc. I agree it felt a little disjointed. He doesn't necessarily fit on a show about secret agents. I also like the twist that the LMD May isn't even aware she's not real. Sets up a pretty tragic reveal later on, as she's not truly an undercover bad guy...just a sleeper.

I agree.... To me, Ghost Rider wasn't a good fit for this show.... although I didn't mind that they introduced him, I'm glad he didn't stick around... I like the show the most when its about the agents, and their missions... which is why I want them to bring in Clay Quartermain. John Walker and maybe a few others from this list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_S.H.I.E.L.D._members

Ghost Rider was clunky in that he isn't a great fit...nor is the Darkhold, truth be told, but the result with the LMDs shows a lot of promise.  They need to decide what they're doing with Mace also. But who doesn't love having Bend it Like Beckham as the villain?  

I have not seen the newest episodes, but I am not really enjoying this season.  I continue watching because I want to see where they are taking the story, but I would much rather watch any of the DC shows on the CW. 

I never really had a problem with the show in the past and was willing to give it a lot of leeway because I like the Marvel movies, but I have had this season sitting on my DVR for a while and after the first couple of episodes I did not feel the need to watch the rest.  I caught up last week and now may let it sit for a while again.

I liked the Ghost Rider arc well enough. It was better than most of the Nic Cage films. They just don't have the budget or time to do the FX on the character real justice, I guess. I don't like the Reyes character really in the comics, but I dug him and he retooled origin story in AoS.

And I'm not generally a Mac fan (he's just kinda blah), but his one-liners about the robocalypse throughout the episode had me laughing. I dug the reveal about Aida (sp?) and the new Inhuman at the end, too. Speaking of which, anyone got any idea if this new Inhuman is from the comics? And if so, who is he? 

For me the show used to be fun.  Now it's not.  I just find the CW shows more fun.  Don't want to comment on the quality, because the CW shows are definitiely more cheesy ("I (dramatic pause) am Supergirl")

I think it's all the Fitz whining about Simmons.  Didn't we have that when she was on the other planet?  I normally don't complain about shows.  I am definitely not going to stop watching, and hope it does not get cancelled.  But it is on the lower priority to watch.  I was actually psyced to see that Timeless is coming back more than AOS.  Not sure how the board feels about Timeless, but I find that show to be fun to watch. 

On 1/13/2017 at 1:35 AM, Bastard of Boston said:

That makes me remember Boomer. And I loved Boomer, and hated how they tried to make her more of a bad guy in the last season.

11 hours ago, grozeng said:

For me the show used to be fun.  Now it's not.  I just find the CW shows more fun.  Don't want to comment on the quality, because the CW shows are definitiely more cheesy ("I (dramatic pause) am Supergirl")

I think it's all the Fitz whining about Simmons.  Didn't we have that when she was on the other planet?...

Agreed on both the higher degree of cheeze in the CW/Arrowverse shows as well as too much Fitz-bitching. Good point about that the last few episodes.

So now I watched the last 2 episodes and I really liked them a lot.  So maybe I just did not enjoy the Ghost Rider and ghosts storyline.  I liked the reveal about Mace (that's his name, right)?  And enjoying the LMD part and the new villain reveal.  The last 2 episodes wre much better for me.

Solid episode except for the big bad being just some russian dude who hangs around in a submarine, who hates Inhumans because they didn't suffer for their gains, and believes Coulson is the Illuminati. I thought for a brief moment it would be something cosmic, at least the Kree, but no, it's just Coulson, a guy who surely it isn't a secret that he worked for SHIELD? I'm not really getting it.

Not quite sure either why Radcliffe is still hanging with him, he had the book himself, and what is essentially a Terminator to protect him, why go back to the rusty boat with a psycho bigot who loves torture? But I'm quite liking him as a villain who's nicely ruthless but not unnecessarily so, so won't complain too much.

And the Koenigs are officially just identical quintuplets (is that the word?) I could have sworn their were more than four. Also read a review that described LT as a cross between Mockingbird and Janice Soprano, which is just perfect.

10 minutes ago, The BlackBear said:

Solid episode except for the big bad being just some russian dude who hangs around in a submarine, who hates Inhumans because they didn't suffer for their gains, and believes Coulson is the Illuminati. I thought for a brief moment it would be something cosmic, at least the Kree, but no, it's just Coulson, a guy who surely it isn't a secret that he worked for SHIELD? I'm not really getting it.

Not quite sure either why Radcliffe is still hanging with him, he had the book himself, and what is essentially a Terminator to protect him, why go back to the rusty boat with a psycho bigot who loves torture? But I'm quite liking him as a villain who's nicely ruthless but not unnecessarily so, so won't complain too much.

And the Koenigs are officially just identical quintuplets (is that the word?) I could have sworn their were more than four. Also read a review that described LT as a cross between Mockingbird and Janice Soprano, which is just perfect.

They just wanted to create a new villain that's more to Coulson's level. Any Inhuman or superrobot villain would be for Daisy to handle, and Radcliffe is essentially a villain for Fitz-Simmons.

4 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

And the Koenigs are officially just identical quintuplets (is that the word?) I could have sworn their were more than four.

Quadruplets is four. Quintuplets would be five. (And I think you're indicating four).

I think they're clones, though - but they were all raised together. Think Orphan Black, but where clone-club were all raised together, rather than separately.

Archived